British Open 2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Martin Myers shoots = highest score over the shoot and walks away with nothing on the final day .......find that wrong some how, !!??

So Martin Myers shoots = highest score over the shoot and walks away with nothing on the final day .......find that wrong some how, !!??
Me too,if they insist on having something for the media/sponsors just invite the top 2/3 from everyday back for the Superfinal not win a shoot to win a shoot to get into the Superfinal  :no:

Swings and roundabouts I suppose.. Richard Bunning did that massive 117 to lead the BO 2 years ago and was nowhere in the final. Then this year he was 4 behind going into EO final and won it! It’s all about where you are going in.. The final is either a great chance to catch up or a nightmare trap door to fall through.. 

...And 2 gold, and 2 silver class medal were won by people that did not shoot well enough to qualify for class on qualifying days. That to me this is also wrong.

There was/is, so much wrong this year with this shoot. Just glad i saved my money again.

Last edited by a moderator:
...And 2 gold, and 2 silver class medal were won by people that did not shoot well enough to qualify for class on qualifying days. That to me is also wrong.
Did not shoot well enough to qualify? How did they qualify then? 

Did not shoot well enough to qualify? How did they qualify then? 
They sneaked in through category. Will, you don't have to shoot a top score to get to finals day. I have been saying this since they brought this format in in 2016. That is one of the reasons I won't shoot it anymore

They even brought in a Seniors category last year to ensure they had enough AAA/AA shots reach the final to make it look good. 

The simple answer is it is not about what we want,its not about the shooting its about MONEY thats why they have a CEO that doesn't shoot and is a management consultant.

Things will never change for the better when we have people that are obsessed with money in the bank and little else!

All you lot moaning about this and that , if you go on Pigeonwatch it was a dreadful event, if you go on here it was an unfair competition, if you go on Steve Lovatt's Facebook page it was a wonderful event , the best ever . 

Who am I a mere simpleton to believe?

All you lot moaning about this and that , if you go on Pigeonwatch it was a dreadful event, if you go on here it was an unfair competition, if you go on Steve Lovatt's Facebook page it was a wonderful event , the best ever . 

Who am I a mere simpleton to believe?
I just don't agree with the way the CPSA run it, and as I say I voted with my feet and have never shot it since this qualification farce started. As for targets they are what they are, at what ever shoot you turn up at, you will never please everyone. As for the social media comments one is a little more bias than the rest because its full of ....what are they called ...ah yes Lovally's, to which Steve can never do any wrong. Among other names :smile:

Maybe Matt Rutherford could run a poll on here ? regarding,  whether  or not shooters feel its the best option to reach the crowning of a champion at a major , I like a few others feel it's flawed and unfair ....it seems to me that the 120 birds are just used as qualifying , and if thats the case ,is that what the majority want , ?? must admit I've also formed the opinion,that it's lost it's appeal for these very reasons ..... 

Usain Bolt wins his heat to qualify for a final but finishes 4th out of the pots

Lewis turns in fastest qualifying but fails to make the top step. There have to be finals in events of this size

Usain Bolt wins his heat to qualify for a final but finishes 4th out of the pots

Lewis turns in fastest qualifying but fails to make the top step. There have to be finals in events of this size
Yes but there are effectively a final and a final final!

An athlete  can run in the 100m heats and not qualify for the final, can also run in the 200m heats and qualify for that final. He/she cannot come out on finals day and run in the 100 final as they never qualified for that. Yet in this shooting game you can have people with multiple entries, lets say an A class vet, they can shoot on qualifying day, not make the A class cut off, but could be the top vet on that day. On finals day they can then come back and win A class, how can this happen when they never made the cut. If you are going to run qualifiers you should only be allowed to shoot in what you have qualified for.

Why does the Seniors category always disappear  from the finals day prize board? They run 5 days of qualifiers for that, yet lady junior and lady colt HG suddenly appear from nowhere....another strange anomaly.............Lets make it professional...hahaha, oh dear   :no:

Hi all 

i really dont get this as martin says ge dont agree with the system so he dont go , simple same as prize money why are people getting hung up on it that dont go to the event ??

the event was full with a waiting list for most days so lots think its the best way !!

ive lost count of all the times ive heard its not fair as it was three dufferent shoots in three different days at other events , we and the cpsa cant please all on this topic so i guess if the shoot is full something is right 

Lets be honest Steve, this type of shoot will always fill no matter how they are run, whether people agree with them or not, just because of what they are.

You never know in 2020 I might have a go again, at least I will get to have more than one entry. .. :smile:

Now I don't know if this is factual or not , but yesterday a chap was moaning that Arnie Palmer actually qualified about 34 th in his class on his nominated shoot day , but then qualified somehow or other for the Finals and ended up finishing third , if that is correct then there is something seriously wrong with the system .

So tired of hearing complaints about the event I cannot be bothered to check the above  out , but it just goes to show how discontented we are as a sport.

Credit where credit is due Richard Faulds jumped all the hurdles and came through , but  Nick Beavis  exactly like Richard Bunning a while back came away empty handed.

Now I don't know if this is factual or not , but yesterday a chap was moaning that Arnie Palmer actually qualified about 34 th in his class on his nominated shoot day , but then qualified somehow or other for the Finals and ended up finishing third , if that is correct then there is something seriously wrong with the system .
Arnie came 3rd in Vets so surely he qualified as a Vet to go forward.

Personally I just see these shoots as shoots and nothing more, a day out with the distinct possibility of hard targets.  A day out where you bump into lots of people you like to spend a moment or two with.   I liked the sporting there were one or two I struggled to see but overall I saw most of them and missed a lot of them.  The sportrap have to say I did not enjoy.  I loved the rabbits although I was very unlucky and got at least 20 no birds all to myself on that layout.  The last two layouts I did struggle to see some targets against the background I just did and this always affects my enthusiasm as it is truly frustrating. It may be wrong but I don't care how they qualify to be honest.  I have changed my whole attitude to competition shooting and now with the exception of eye sight tests, I don't let it bother me what I score or where I come.  I have given up on the class thing, I don't have the answer and it's not important anymore.  

Hi, Sian, I gave up comp shooting years ago, and since shooting birds only I really enjoy the shooting. After all I am there to enjoy myself.

Hi, Sian, I gave up comp shooting years ago, and since shooting birds only I really enjoy the shooting. After all I am there to enjoy myself.
I actually still pay the comp bit oddly but I don't stress about the outcome.  It's nice to have a win now and then but I am not chasing it anymore.

Latest posts

Back