British Open 2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that field every time i go,  just because its green and flat and doesnt mean its parking, Is it designated as such? it doesnt indicate it on the layout plan sent out by the CPSA.

image.png

In fairness, the extra parking isn't indicated but you've got to assume they've got it covered. It's not their first rodeo, so to speak.

I was expecting to see the Moorhen trap being used on the lake as you drive in. Was excited for a first attempt at a water target :D  

The CPSA are maddening on social media. Lots of photos of shooters (wow) and the clubhouse. Picture of a dog. Some referees. Who gives a toss! Where is the live leaderboard or even occasional updates. FFS. 

The CPSA are maddening on social media. Lots of photos of shooters (wow) and the clubhouse. Picture of a dog. Some referees. Who gives a toss! Where is the live leaderboard or even occasional updates. FFS. 
Oh dear, I quite like seeing the photos of the shooters and refs.  Leaderboard not important to me as I ain't gonna be a leader ..  Ben is pretty good though at putting up the scores regularly.  PS the dog is gorgeous 😁

as entries are full ,one would have thought there would be a breakdown of the cash payouts per class ,and how many places , this really pisses me off with the cpsa never seen a full breakdown of who won what and what for ........................

as entries are full ,one would have thought there would be a breakdown of the cash payouts per class ,and how many places , this really pisses me off with the cpsa never seen a full breakdown of who won what and what for ........................
Clynt, there is one pre-shoot & its on web, am sure someone more savvy than I can link it, when I saw it there were 1070 comp entries, breakdown & prize list for places, all by class more places in some due to comp numbers in each, as for post shoot not sure if its updated 

Oh dear, I quite like seeing the photos of the shooters and refs.  Leaderboard not important to me as I ain't gonna be a leader ..  Ben is pretty good though at putting up the scores regularly.  PS the dog is gorgeous 😁
If I want to see some people grinning, plus a dog, I’ll go to the pub. This is a major sporting event! 😖

If I want to see some people grinning, plus a dog, I’ll go to the pub. This is a major sporting event! 😖
Are they grinning🤔 Tbf the hound is more photogenic than most shooters😆, Pub, 🍺🍺thats another expensive 💷💷 hobby you have there William, Im also an inquisitive type, I can await the CPSA late night update,

Clynt, there is one pre-shoot & its on web, am sure someone more savvy than I can link it, when I saw it there were 1070 comp entries, breakdown & prize list for places, all by class more places in some due to comp numbers in each, as for post shoot not sure if its updated 
not just top 3 in each category  then ?full list in each and every class ????? 

not just top 3 in each category  then ?full list in each and every class ????? 
Yes chap it lists all classes & nr of comp entries in each lettererd class, the 1070 generate £10,700 in prize money and it all stays in class, think 1-3 all same amount its different how many places paid out/down to

Oops, my error £2.50 to 1,2 & 3 overall & £7.50 in class and its

AAA- £885, AA- £1298, A- £2580, B- £1973 & C - £1223

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot it yesterday. Despite a bad score from some poor shooting later on I really enjoyed it.

15 stands of 8 which keeps you moving.

Not a lot of big distance stuff but a lot of tricky/deceptive angles.

Two stands on the big platform were interesting. We had to wait as one chap couldn’t go up due to a fear of heights and then another bloke in the squad played up as he was allowed to shoot it from the ground. I was too busy laughing then shot a 3 on the first (stand 5) up there. Lesson learned!

Managed to straight the next but had two more bad stands of 3 further on which were inexplicable and completely buggered the round, but good fun all the same.

Been doing comps since May, had a good run of mid 80’s in the summer then the wheels have fallen off this month!

Anyway, thought it was well set and testing. Best of luck to those there this week!

Last edited by a moderator:

Im fully expecting the Open to be an appropriate challenge, so Ive tweaked my setup.

I can’t see anything specific in the CPSA rule book about this not being allowed?

The breakdown of prize money and places was emailed out to all competitors proir to the event 

Well...What happened then,  or did you just sit in the car park all day. :wink:
Not long got home, hit some missed lots, and lots, and lots,

Did struggle with vision & reflexes on a few stands, am putting it down to the drawback of being old, am of the opinion that I left this starting shooting lark to late in the day, about 25+ years too late.

Well done all those that have shot well and all the very best to those still to shoot. Will think twice before one attempts another, despite my intentions to enjoy the day, the ground, weather and company were grand, Im just not getting the 😊 Id hoped for

Just shot it. I thought it was a great event but of course it was pretty firm so won’t suit everybody. When course setters say it will it’s just marketing bollox. 

I believe these tough events should not be registered, so the worry of damaging your average is eradicated

I can only say how it was for me (I’m a capable but not top level shot with 13 years comp experience). Great bit of ground, great mix of targets. I ruined a card that I would have otherwise been happy with mainly by shooting stand 5 appallingly. Up the big platform, overawed by the view and scale and I overlead both targets, hitting 1/7!  Rest of squad were fine. Just me. Idiot. I also cocked up stand 15. First bird was tough, but second wasn’t and again overlead it. Ended on 94 but shot 13 stands fairly well so can’t really grumble overall.  

Latest posts

Back