British Open 2018

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think averages should be banned then we can get back to shooting for enjoyment instead of worrying about losing 0.001 of a percent and crying the shoot was to hard!

You see i may say shoots are hard but i don't GAF about classes and averages  :lol:

This is pointed at nobobdy and everybody so anybody please don't play the snowflake and get personally offended.

Just back from shooting the sporting. I really enjoyed the round, several targets were made easier by shooting quickly so it suited me.finished on 96 

Just got back too, really enjoyed it but finished on a disappointing 84 having missed some really dumb ones that I shouldn’t have. 

Great course, good mix and some big leads needed so I’m not complaining -however Stand 5 totally threw me.....I can be a bit iffy with heights at the best of times but when the rest of my squad headed up I thought I’d ‘man up’ and give it a go. 

All was ok until it was my turn to shoot, but bending forward to shoot the targets really made me feel quite ill...I ended up trying to lean forward and backwards at the same time - consequently I dropped 7 of the 8. 

I do genuinely applaud and appreciate creativity in course setting and on the whole I thought today’s course was fabulous, but not everyone is a fan of heights and I do wonder how ‘inclusive’ that type of stand is based on my own experience.

Having said that I was given the option of shooting Stand 6 from the ground which I did......just should have done that with Stand 5 instead blindly heading up the stairs. 

A great shoot, super reffing, very well and smoothly run (like clockwork) and it’s given me plenty to think about and hopefully work on over the winter 

We shot this yesterday and I have many of the sentiments above. I too only shot 1 on stand 5, never got a plan sorted and just went through the motions like a wally instead of forming a plan before hand, but have to applaud Steve for trying something outside the box, it is a championship after all and has entertained and caused discussion.

Excellent ground, superb terrain, well reffed, facilities good, targets I thought were pretty good overall. Was pleased to see some drivens for a change. Everything ran like clockwork and dead on time.

Anything else I would have like to have seen are only small points. Some straw bales or more seating at some of the stands would have been nice, and a bin at each stand in the waiting area to put cartridges boxes and rubbish as you prepare.

Overall i thoroughly enjoyed it and would be pleased to return to oakedge and Steve for a championship again next year.

Not entered to shoot this, but following on here and FB.

The question is... How can you have stands 5/6 up on a high scaffolding, and then have an option to shoot at ground level, thus having different targets?

Reading between the lines there is an option, but not everyone is aware of this. Some saying if you take the ground level option, then you automatically revert to birds only losing the competition fee. If this is the case how much more shambolic can British shooting become.

Not entered to shoot this, but following on here and FB.

The question is... How can you have stands 5/6 up on a high scaffolding, and then have an option to shoot at ground level, thus having different targets?

Reading between the lines there is an option, but not everyone is aware of this. Some saying if you take the ground level option, then you automatically revert to birds only losing the competition fee. If this is the case how much more shambolic can British shooting become.
Must say as much as I think the decision to allow "heightist" shooters the option of shooting them from the ground is the right one, it does surely mean that only those who tackle it from the correct spot can have scores count towards qualification..........which in turn means you're testing vertigo.

Must say as much as I think the decision to allow "heightist" shooters the option of shooting them from the ground is the right one, it does surely mean that only those who tackle it from the correct spot can have scores count towards qualification..........which in turn means you're testing vertigo.
...But how many people new this was going to be in place before they entered. This may well be OK in non registered shoots or opens, but this is the British Open, probably the biggest title shoot in the UK, other than when the Worlds are held here.

British shooting is seriously losing the plot in my opinion.

I think there would have been an answer to this to suit everybody.

Put the pool shoot on the scaffold so that it was optional. People would then have the choice to go up there to shoot, people who struggled could have multiple goes to try and master a tricky target presentation. It would then have still been an attraction for the occasion without causing distress and confusion to some.

Sign at the bottom saying "Free box of Titanium Strike" for successful climbers would have sorted things a treat. 

If this is actually true, then it really is a farce. Going birds only, only takes you out of the cash pot. So someone could actually qualify shooting a different course, or is your entry void?

Just in case I didn’t make it clear enough, I’m not in any way ‘bashing’ the shoot...it was one of if not the best I’ve ever participated in and I will definitely be shooting more of Steve’s regular shoots in the future for the superb challenges they offer. 

It was odd having shooters down below, while you waited up top.. I suspect a huge platform may not reappear. Good shoot though. 

Just in case I didn’t make it clear enough, I’m not in any way ‘bashing’ the shoot...it was one of if not the best I’ve ever participated in and I will definitely be shooting more of Steve’s regular shoots in the future for the superb challenges they offer. 
Steves shoots are generally some of the best you will ever shoot. I just find it odd, that at at major title championship there are options to shoot from different positions, and nobody was/is aware of this. Strange to say the least.

hi, Will Hewland, and very well done with your score in the British, Why do you shoot birds only in big comps?
Ha ha. At EO and BO this year, I’ve stuffed my scorecard with an unlikely poor stand. I guess I trust myself to do so. 😆😆

This event I missed 13 in two stands which really should have been 5 max. 

Its just bloody unlikely to hit the top in AA with a huge entry on a very firm course.. I’m just not enough of a robot to hit the big score..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back