British 21gms. Sporting Championship

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Ian not aloud to earn a living? who shot the Classic @ £70 and no Carts and NO chance of winning a prize cos all the top boys are there.

The Classic was £84! Or £56 /100. Not cheap. A bit exceptional due to the set up required; as opposed to doing it all on a single working shooting ground. It was also that sort of money at previous venues.

CSC3

It's hard to grip what this sort of shoot is all about ? is it to let every body try Hull's 21grm shells at competition targets ? if so it seems expensive,one would have thought Hull may have sponsored the shoot by reduced costs of shells ??

If it's just a bit of fun sort of shoot, again seems expensive.

If it's a shoot with a large prize fund, with no B/O entries fair enough but can't help feeling "who is it for"

I agree with earlier comments, there does seem to be a limit to how far shooters pockets can stretch due to the current recession so why not help us a bit ........remember with out us you may have to get a real job :p :p .

Emmsy, on 22 June 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

non registered at westfield and windrush are £30 comp, longridge always used to be £25 for practice (not been there for a few months though), whats your practice cost now? the likes of podimore / southern counties always seem expensive to me.

ive always been under the impression your bettwer off getting 175 entries at £30 a pop than 125 at £35, or am i completely sh*t at maths? making it a bit cheaper is surely going to attract more shooters is it not? times are hard for a lot of us!!

Emmsy, your thinking to much ., and your trying to apply logic mate ;) Westfields the weekend was £30 comp and £20 re-entry bloody good value and £150 HG.... cant go wrong cheaper than some practice grounds at 34pence per clay, now thats ripping clay shooters of !!!!!!! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to grip what this sort of shoot is all about ? is it to let every body try Hull's 21grm shells at competition targets ? if so it seems expensive,one would have thought Hull may have sponsored the shoot by reduced costs of shells ??

If it's just a bit of fun sort of shoot, again seems expensive.

If it's a shoot with a large prize fund, with no B/O entries fair enough but can't help feeling "who is it for"

I agree with earlier comments, there does seem to be a limit to how far shooters pockets can stretch due to the current recession so why not help us a bit ........remember with out us you may have to get a real job :p :p .
They may then get to understand why we get fed up paying £37 and travel for miles to be confronted by un- entertaining dingly dangly sh*t . :eek:

They may then get to understand why we get fed up paying £37 and travel for miles to be confronted by un- entertaining dingly dangly sh*t . :eek:
"dingly dangly sh*t" surely you meant to say "technically set with speed and angles" hahahahaha

I know exactly what you mean though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it would be interesting to shoot a Wylye comp using 21g cartridges to see how the better shots score ! Perhaps it would be a good option to let shooters provide their own cartridges and the comp be charged at normal Wylye rates.

I think it would be interesting to shoot a Wylye comp using 21g cartridges to see how the better shots score ! Perhaps it would be a good option to let shooters provide their own cartridges and the comp be charged at normal Wylye rates.
I think its a great idea, it will prove interesting and fun. It's a bit like Formula 1, where all the teams use the same fuel and tyres.

Some scores may even be better than expected as you might feel you need to choke up!

So how about £200 High Gun. £100 per class win with prizes down to fourth place. How does that suit you Clynt?

As far as supplying cartridges is concerned, it is a 21gms shoot and if we supply them then everyone is uses the same shell. It would be a shame if the rule was abused and 28gms were used instead don't you think?

maybe if you dropped from £60 to £50 and included one of your excellent breakfasts, we would be signing up :)

surely hull would virtually want to give these shells away as a marketing scheme for a hull 21gm shoot??

it must be more beneficial for them to give 100 away for everyone who entered to use than the cartridge prize payout they give at the likes of the classic??

they would be more likely to pick up business if people tried and liked them, than by seeing someone win 2000 at the classic??

Last edited:
Way too dear wylye, my local ground Catton Hall, charges £30 comp and £25 B/O for 100 bird REGISTERED shoots with £125 H/G and ? money in the classes.

Kegworth is either £33 or £34 comp & £5 less for B/O with £120 h/g & £100 in each lettered class and a ladies & veterans prize. All the grounds I know around the west & east midlands are in this ball park and at most of them the birds only shooters out number the competition entries!!

Even if Hull are not actively sponsoring the supply of the cartridges (and they should be) I would be suprised if they were costing anymore than £16 or £17 for the 125. Even at £50 entry fee that leaves £33 or £34 to pay for the prize pot, the shoot costs & profit. Your gamble should be attracting the required number of entrants to make your day.

I suspect at £60 you will struggle to cover any one of three elements above.

You can only push us punters so far and imho you are pushing £10 too far.

Mr Potter

Five to six years ago a thousand cartridges would cost in general a 100 pounds a thousand , today they are generaly 200 pound a thousand . Have the entry fees for a 100 bird sporting doubled in the same spate of time ? Ansewer is no , so instead of pointing your finger at the ground owners saying there entry fees are to high why not look at pointing youf fingers at the cartridge manufactors ?

The Classic was £84! Or £56 /100. Not cheap. A bit exceptional due to the set up required; as opposed to doing it all on a single working shooting ground. It was also that sort of money at previous venues.

CSC3
The classic paid out down to tenth in class (£ 100) for 10 th i think) couple thousand pound watch for first in each class,£ 7,500 gun for high gun etc so perhaps the higher entry fee is justified

Last edited by a moderator:
So how about £200 High Gun. £100 per class win with prizes down to fourth place. How does that suit you Clynt?

As far as supplying cartridges is concerned, it is a 21gms shoot and if we supply them then everyone is uses the same shell. It would be a shame if the rule was abused and 28gms were used instead don't you think?
Class win ? if it's open there is really no chance for majority of AA-A-B-C class shooters ??? no doubt you will be busy because it is a well patronised ground, wish you well in this venture. For me I think it will be Windrush for £30.00 comp with a reasonable H/G Saturday.

please take note I am a keen angler in sea, fly and coarse fishing,my email box is crammed with offers of discounts, deals and great value purchases..............so why does it seem that shooting grounds are taking the opposite reaction to the recession ?? I have had a tough week at work earned what I have got, the construction industry is such that to win contracts we have to be very competitive, I don't feel what you are offering seems like good value for me.

will miss the breakfast and best cake in the country though.

Ian good point, I am sure thinking about it some shooters would try to use heavier loads, I hope you run it I look forward to it.

The classic paid out down to tenth in class (£ 100) for 10 th i think) couple thousand pound watch for first in each class,£ 7,500 gun for high gun etc so perhaps the higher entry fee is justified
Jack Pyke paid out£750 HG (i think) £300 in class down to 8th with a goody bag worth £40 for a £46 entry, I got £45 for jnt 6th probably about the 3rd place payoff here. Westfield pay out £150 in classes for a fiver in the pot too! If Hull are sponsoring this its another case of cartridge manufactures taking the P again.

Latest posts

Back