British 21gms. Sporting Championship

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Will,

I used to do a fair bit of actual pattern work back when but lately it's more reading the breaks and of course doing the maffs. I read and waited on the arrival of the Hull with an open mind as many seemed to believe it somehow gave superior patterns but nobody to date has come forward to clarify what this superiority entails. To me it should mean either more even distribution (not nekkekkarily helpful if so) or at least much higher percentage retention.

When I eventually shot them I found it did neither; months after their launch they eventually dared publish pics of their patterns and they looked just as you would expect them to look like, namely a round pattern with holes that appeared to contain a lot less shot than 28g. Nobody has come forward to claim £1k I put up years ago to disprove the oft quoted old wives tale of less shot leads to less deformity and hence better percentages by any meaningful degree. It is entirely possible to find a 28g load that gives superb (better) patterns than a 21g load through a given choke or barrel.

Of course 21g would break close to medium targets, why shouldn't it? So do reduced loads through 28 and 20 bore guns, we've always known this. We have also always known they can't live with a 12b/28g, that's my point. I just hate all the mushed up writing and pretence on the subject as though it does something it ought not to be able to do because Hull have pulled a blinder with balancing the components, that bit is absolute rubbish. It's just a reduced load that reduces recoil, nothing more. If we have a comp to see who can kill the furthest fox with a .22 rimmie it'll be won by someone who'll get a head shot at 230+ yards as it's possible. But it doesn't suddenly mean that .22 is good enough in the right hands at that distance.

Whenever I've shot them they appeared to give less convincing breaks with one too many inexplicable misses. They're not even substantially cheaper so for me that's another reason not to get conned in by Hull et al.

I dont think we are miles apart. 28g is `better` of course. I am in the position with my shooting where a single clay can make a big difference to my day. 28g on all longer stuff for me.

Is 28g better than 21g? Yes. Does a bigger hammer hurt your thumb more than a smaller hammer? Yes. That isnt the debate. What I am saying is that 21g is much better than most think and I believe is quite sufficient for use in competition as a reliable tool to see who shoots best, as long as everybody shoots 21g.. For me, if the CPSA said that all reg shoots from now on must be shot with max 21g (so same for all) it wouldnt bother me. I would have saved £hundreds on recoil devices too!

CSC3

They're not even substantially cheaper so for me that's another reason not to get conned in by Hull et al.
Just had a look at Just Cartridges for a price comparison:

Comp X 21g 7.5 @ £148.00/1000

Comp X 28g 7.5 @ £166.00/1000

So a difference of £18.50 which would be 125 cartridges. This is comparing Hull only, however and this is the problem you can buy perfectly good 28g 7.5 Fiocchi Top ones for £150.00/1000 so there is no real difference, unless you was a die hard Hull fanboy.

So, here we have it. British Open 21gm Championship. Sunday September 30th. Wylye Valley SG. 100 bird Sporting event run to CPSA rules using CPSA classes. High Gun £200 with £100 for a class win in all lettered classes plus Ladies, Juniors and Vets. Prizes down to fourth place. Aged 16 and under shoot free of charge with a paying adult. Hull Comp-X 12 gauge cartridges will be provided. Entry cost £56.

We hope all those who attend find it an interesting and entertaining event.
Ummm.....Hull Comp-X 12 gauge....?? :huh:

Tell me that's a typo Ian.... :D

One question. If this shoot is not sponsored by Hull (I.e entries won't get subsidised cartridges), are other makes of 21g shells permitted?

CSC3
To create a level playing field all competitors will use the same cartridge - Hull Comp-X, which will be supplied on the stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
wylye . nice to see a ground owner listening to potential customers.

will try and make this. can you just turn up on the day ?

jasper

Ian . Very interested in shooting this but due to contracts cannot shoot Hull, what's the plan ?

So, here we have it. British Open 21gm Championship. Sunday September 30th. Wylye Valley SG. 100 bird Sporting event run to CPSA rules using CPSA classes. High Gun £200 with £100 for a class win in all lettered classes plus Ladies, Juniors and Vets. Prizes down to fourth place. Aged 16 and under shoot free of charge with a paying adult. Hull Comp-X 12 gauge cartridges will be provided. Entry cost £56.

We hope all those who attend find it an interesting and entertaining event.
I like the idea that no one has an advantage by using 'special' cartridges - count me in!

I wish you every success with your 21gm only shoot. I think the scores will suprise quite a few doubting Thomas's.

I have shot Hull 21gm for quite a while now and it is suprising what they will break.

I pay £139 per thou for mine. I'm not tight I just don't like recoil.

I wish you every success with your 21gm only shoot. I think the scores will suprise quite a few doubting Thomas's.

I have shot Hull 21gm for quite a while now and it is suprising what they will break.

I pay £139 per thou for mine. I'm not tight I just don't like recoil.
Where can you get them for £139 and is that fibre?

Latest posts

Back