Best looking OT style

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some shooter Fernandez he is so fast he has bust the clay and is moving before the cartridges from the previous shooter have hit the bucket! I have never witnessed it but I am sure a commentator said he closes his left eye when he shoots ? Anyway nup don't like that style at all much prefer the Carrega or Burnett style and stance absolute class... like Les if only!
Yeah right!!!! 'If only' is correct there mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
I might give the fernandez style some thought, I'm shooting that crap at the moment it probably wont hurt

Relaxed, clear mind, nice rhythm during pre shot and mount which theoretically transfers to a nice relaxed swing. it either works or wheels fall off big time. :)

Esteban Azcue was the Fernandes of his day. Shot square on barrel chested style. Seemed to shoot all his targets within a six foot circle around the mark. Shot 150/150 on his world championship (1977)

Miloslav Bednarik was reckoned to be the most able. A dispatch rider for the Czech army died aged 24 in motorcycle accident. Said to average 22 shooting OT from the hip he did so for the last target of his world championship (1985,1986) much to the embarrassment of his coach.
Didn't he shoot a 30 inch 682 Fred? I seem to recall that he seemed to mount his gun half way down his chest, or at least that's how it appered! Am I thinking about the right lad Fred?

For me it is not about the result when it come to style and to be fair there is many a shooter better than Derek Burnett,  but not too many better than Carrega. If I only every hit 20 I would still love to have their style and approach to trap shooting. I would be safe in the knowledge that a coach could come along and get me shooting 25,s in no time that is what their setup is all about. At the moment it would take some sort of miracle worker come magician :)

John

you have to shoot for quite a while before you settle with a style and can accept it and get on with it. Until then you generally play about with different things, in fact if your an arse like me you never stop playing about its a naive belief that one little thing to change will do it.

John....I can assure you that a 2 before the number in OT is a good score...so don't put yourself down.

We all want a 2 before the number.

Nic as ever is correct. Mere mortals aim for early 20s with the hope that on occasions you can whack a 4 or 5 at the end. Ot and dare i say abt are not like most disciplines as in perfection is neither expected or required in order to win

Ian and  Nic of course you are both correct and speak from the point of a lot of experience! One always has to walk before running, I have in real terms just started to walk and the passion to run is well ... high! :) . I have to say though I genuinely look at the style of current shooter Derek Burnett and classic shooter Carrega and think that is it! end of! My problem, I started far too late and cannot get to that pinnacle even if I had the talent the body will see to that. So from my point of view it is nice to look at a style and say adopt that if you can emulate something of that then A) You will look good ... always a plus at a shooting ground an  B) these guys have style and break clays that is not a coincidence! I am just going to dream on and try to copy onwards and hopefully score wise upwards !

Copy a style, adapt a style but ensure that its a comfortable style for you. The secret IMO is keep it very very simple otherwise your thinking about all the different aspects of the routine which distracts ones mind from seeing the target. It will come, practice is the key. The world class lads and lasses may have a degree of natural talent but the only reason they stay there is hours and hours of practice something the rest of us just cannot do, therefore if we aspire to there consistent high scores we will be very disappointed. As said by nic and i earlier a 2 at the front is achievable and a good score by mere mortal standards.

John

you have to shoot for quite a while before you settle with a style and can accept it and get on with it. Until then you generally play about with different things, in fact if your an arse like me you never stop playing about its a naive belief that one little thing to change will do it.
I was very fortunate as I had several execellent coaches and mentors over the years and I guess I picked up things from all of them. I guess it took me about fiver years or so to put together a style that worked for me. But since my long layoff I've often wondered if changing my style may get me back on track faster,however I'm a bit reluctant to change at my age!!

Never to old for a change les. I did about 3 yrs ago it was forced due to my knackered back.

There are certain principles to stick to such as relaxing of the hands that is always better than gripping like a vise. The OT video of Peru is out and while not exciting is great for watching their feet. Nobody rocks or leans into their shot, balance utterly between their feet. Their mounts are contrived as they're trying to avoid missing, a normal shooter is better advised to mount the gun to the face before the shoulder rather than dip the head. Too many of us look through the top quadrant of our glasses, limiting the range of our eyeballs. (See Bruno faria a youngster of great talent)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are certain principles to stick to such as relaxing of the hands that is always better than gripping like a vise. The OT video of Peru is out and while not exciting is great for watching their feet. Nobody rocks or leans into their shot, balance utterly between their feet. Their mounts are contrived as they're trying to avoid missing, a normal shooter is better advised to mount the gun to the face before the shoulder rather than dip the head. Too many of us look through the top quadrant of our glasses, limiting the range of our eyeballs. (See Bruno faria a youngster of great talent)
Is that video on you tube Fred?

Yes les someone on admin will have to put the link in for me. Just search YouTube ISSF Peru

Hi 40UP

I was interested in reading your post above about the head position. So I ask this question would you advocate a high head position looking more naturally down the barrel? I know that I have a low head position on the stock and as you say find myself looking up through the top half of my glasses. I often wonder if there is any mileage in raising my comb up and mounting my gun high in my shoulder to give a more relaxed and higher head position which would lead to looking much more through the centre of the shooting glasses. It would require a bit of getting used to a new sight picture though.

+1

Hi 40UP

I was interested in reading your post above about the head position. So I ask this question would you advocate a high head position looking more naturally down the barrel? I know that I have a low head position on the stock and as you say find myself looking up through the top half of my glasses. I often wonder if there is any mileage in raising my comb up and mounting my gun high in my shoulder to give a more relaxed and higher head position which would lead to looking much more through the centre of the shooting glasses. It would require a bit of getting used to a new sight picture though.
I am sure you will have the best reply from 40UP but if I can add before I go shooting....you 'never' want your head tipped down looking through the top of your glasses at trap. You have to have your head in a square position where you can raise your eyeballs upwards. Or you will miss quick high targets through eyes loosing them. How you mount is important each time. And you do not necessarily need to change the comb height (unless it is totally wrong) because the neck movement controls this movement of the head.

Try the difference on dry mounts.

Back