Any vegetarian shooters?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What he said. 

Unfortunately, the role of a trainer to some is a power trip, which is sometimes why they aspire to do it. It just sounds like he was using your lifestyle choice, which happens to put you in the minority of the nations habits, to assert his need to be an alpha, which we've all probably seen when guns/cars/houses are applied.

For the record, I could never give up eating meat, but the idea of shooting anything live and/or doesn't helps alleviate a pest problem is not something that I could do in good conscience... The thought of winging something and leaving it in pain for 'sport' causes me huge discomfort, so not all carnivores shoot game.

But like the choice to be vegetarian, it's personal choice, and that's fine. I have no problem with the choice of others to game shoot, but conversely I don't need a vegan to bore me to death within 27 seconds of meeting one about why I'm a murderer and they're better than me. 😊

I'd like to know how vegetarianism came up, as when I've been with an instructor the talk was about guns and shooting techniques 
Slightly nervous new shooter explains that they are here to try this sport their partner loves, was wondering how it's going to go because they are vegetarian, and they aren't sure that not everyone in shooting isn't a bloody thirsty slaughterer of live things. Instructor utterly fails to set the new shooter at ease or even show shooting people in a good light, thus putting off yet another person forever and leaving them with the impression shooting is full of bigots and bullies who are intolerant of difference. 

How is this hard to envision? The only thing that is different between this and the stories I have heard before is that it was vegetarianism that was the topic used to make the new shooter uncomfortable. 

Reactions: ips
WOW ! !   Can't imagine that happening, eh?
I can. In my early days of clay shooting I found that some of the straw-baler type shoots had some right arseholes attending who clearly struggled with the idea of a woman intruding on their Sunday morning boys club.  Not all, but definitely some.  Usually men in their 50s/60s that can't shoot for toffee. Never really had a problem at Registered comps, which I regularly go to on my own.

I can. In my early days of clay shooting I found that some of the straw-baler type shoots had some right arseholes attending who clearly struggled with the idea of a woman intruding on their Sunday morning boys club.  Not all, but definitely some.  Usually men in their 50s/60s that can't shoot for toffee. Never really had a problem at Registered comps, which I regularly go to on my own.
I found early on in my shooting life that the clubby straw baler types are like that with every new face that shows up, but as a middle aged male it never struck me as bigotry. In my experience no one goes out of their way to make you welcome whatever your gender, age or skill level. You just have to dig in until they get used to you.

Unacceptable from an instructor or even a fellow shooter.

I was vegetarian from being old enough to tell my mum "I ain't eating that" (so about 5yrs old) until aged 32 ish, (I wont bore you with the reasons) I started clay shooting aged 22 and started game shooting aged 50.....(57 this year)

I found early on in my shooting life that the clubby straw baler types are like that with every new face that shows up, but as a middle aged male it never struck me as bigotry. In my experience no one goes out of their way to make you welcome whatever your gender, age or skill level. You just have to dig in until they get used to you.
Have no issue with being ignored.  It was the comments to their mates that got on my wick.  Things like 'wouldn't let my wife loose with a gun' while waiting to go into the stand.  In that particular case the sniggering and comments stopped by the time I finished, probably something to do with me hitting them all (they were really soft targets).  My parting shot was to say 'worried she'll beat you if you let her have a gun?' as I left the stand.

I'm robust enough to stand up for myself, but not all women are and would find that sort of thing enough to stop them shooting at all.  It's pretty crap that some men's egos can't deal with women even wanting to participate in what they see as a male sport.

I'll be honest Bebo... even though our huge height differences mean I could comfortably rest my pint on your head, after shooting in a squad with you at Churchills, you scared the crap out of me! 😄 Made me look a right donkey! :D

But you're right that there's sometimes a divide in some sports that I simply can't see a reason for... snooker, poker, shooting, all mainly down to skill, not strength/stamina. Hey ho.

Coming from smallbore target shooting I have never thank goodness witnessed that sort of bigotry, then again most of the women could shoot a damn sight better than the men to start with

I'll be honest Bebo... even though our huge height differences mean I could comfortably rest my pint on your head, after shooting in a squad with you at Churchills, you scared the crap out of me! 😄 Made me look a right donkey! :D

But you're right that there's sometimes a divide in some sports that I simply can't see a reason for... snooker, poker, shooting, all mainly down to skill, not strength/stamina. Hey ho.
Never rest your pint on my head, I'd drink it before you could take it back! 

I've got a few years of practice on you.  I expect you'll be beating me in the next couple of years.  I'm never going to be anything better than middling, I just enjoy trying!

For God's sake let's all be polite and helpful to all new potential shooters, safety in numbers and all that. More Lady shooters would be a gift compared to the boring old man sausage fest I have witnessed for many years.😂😂😂😂😂😂

Never rest your pint on my head, I'd drink it before you could take it back! 

I've got a few years of practice on you.  I expect you'll be beating me in the next couple of years.  I'm never going to be anything better than middling, I just enjoy trying!
Dunno about beating you, you're pretty handy, but I'm with you that the enjoyment is the main thing. When it gets too serious, that's when I need to step back and have a good look at myself! 😊

Slightly nervous new shooter explains that they are here to try this sport their partner loves, was wondering how it's going to go because they are vegetarian, and they aren't sure that not everyone in shooting isn't a bloody thirsty slaughterer of live things. Instructor utterly fails to set the new shooter at ease or even show shooting people in a good light, thus putting off yet another person forever and leaving them with the impression shooting is full of bigots and bullies who are intolerant of difference. 

How is this hard to envision? The only thing that is different between this and the stories I have heard before is that it was vegetarianism that was the topic used to make the new shooter uncomfortable. 
I seems this slightly nervous new shooter with a partner that loves shooting is really just a troll!

Back