Any vegetarian shooters?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pen987

Hi everyone,

So I've joined in this group in hope of a little advise! My partner loves clay pigeon shooting and wants me to try it too.

I'm a vegetarian so I have mixed feelings about shooting animals but I was more than happy to try clay shooting instead to make him happy!

We had a joint lesson to try and introduce me better into shooting. But it was horrific... the instructor kept making jokes about me being vegetarian and telling me why I should support the meat industry. I couldn't wait to get away!

I guess my question is, are there vegetarians who enjoy shooting and where do you fit in with the shooting community? Is one bad experience representative of what I should expect? I want to support my partner and enjoy his hobby with him but the thought of going back for another lesson makes me nervous. Where would I start looking for another Yorkshire based instructor?

Sorry for the wordy post but any positive comments welcome!

Whilst he (or she) maybe thinking their comments are jokey and perhaps relaxing you, I would polite remind him (etc) that your dietary preference has very little to do with his advice on clay shooting. You are, after all paying for his time. That should be the end of it. I have no idea why being a vegatarian would affect your ability to shoot, learn or for that matter anybody's ability to coach. I think you have just been unfortunate and I would recommend you put it behind you.

It might be tempting to suggest that those who also game shoot might be more vocal about such things but I think that would be an unfair generalisation.

In terms of finding a new coach, the CPSA will have a list of qualified coaches in your area. I would ring a few clubs and ask around. I am not from Yorkshire but I'm sure somebody will come up with some names etc though I doubt being a vegatarian will have anything to do with their recommendations. There are some good coaches working out of Doveridge and my local ground Kibworth but both maybe a journey too far. I have no idea what they eat & I'm not saying that for effect.

I shoot with a guy who doesn't like mushrooms. No comments from me as long as he pushes them onto my plate !!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just take plenty of no notice.

Maybe you are too sensitive for shooting??  I ask that, because after a while of shooting with the same people, the fluffy rabbits and insults (all friendly) that you get after the shoot, when having a 'brew,' is amazing. For me, that all adds to making it a good day. In fact the best part of the day if I've shot badly. If I've shot well......then bring it on.  I've shot with Vegetarians, Vegans, blacks, whites, disabled and even people with cancer. No one escapes the post shoot ribbing.  

It should not be and is not relevant in any way, particularly with clay shooting, its a strange one as i do not remember ever being asked by any instructor on numerous lessons if i was vegetarian so cannot really imagine how it cropped up or relevant, plenty of good coaches out there, you may well have been unlucky but sure somebody will be able to recomend somebody decent up that part of the world, stick with it as its a great way to pass some time and burn your cash.

First thing , do not let one imbecile’s behaviour put you off shooting clays . 

Don’t go near that instructor again, he doesn’t respect you , he doesn’t deserve your money. Secondly his prejudices are not related to shooting he’d probably have given the same lecture if he was your tennis coach 

The shooting community is like any other community. You will meet people from working Joe to CEOs , left wing politics , right wing politics sensible people , amusing people , bores , polite people ignorant people ....  .As in life you will tend to gravitate to those who you are comfortable with . There are a very high percentage of shooters who have never killed a living thing and have no wish to , so you’ll not be outnumbered ! 

If you find yourself being “ ribbed “ by strangers you’re shooting at the wrong place 

If you want a good instructor in Yorkshire ( just on the border actually ) try Kelbrook Lodge , and ask for a lesson with Mike . 

Personally I don't derive any pleasure or sport from shooting live quarry so I don't do it (the occasional grey squirrel excepted). I have no problem though with those who do and it's probable that most clay shooters do take various forms of game and/or vermin although a good many only shoot clays.

My wife and I are not vegetarians but we eat very little meat and no red meat at all. We grow and eat lots of veg and eat fish 2 or 3 times a week. A joke is a joke and it's healthy to join in, but if someone went too far in poking fun at my way of life I'd recommend they did a bit of research on healthy lifestyles and report back later.

Clay shooting is probably the most inclusive sport there is and believe me, everyone remembers being where you are now. Whatever your age, gender or skill level, no one will give you a hard time as long you shoot safely.

Tell us which area you're in and between us we'll know some decent instructors. 

Personally I don't derive any pleasure or sport from shooting live quarry so I don't do it (the occasional grey squirrel excepted). I have no problem though with those who do and it's probable that most clay shooters do take various forms of game and/or vermin although a good many only shoot clays.

My wife and I are not vegetarians but we eat very little meat and no red meat at all. We grow and eat lots of veg and eat fish 2 or 3 times a week. A joke is a joke and it's healthy to join in, but if someone went too far in poking fun at my way of life I'd recommend they did a bit of research on healthy lifestyles and report back later.

Clay shooting is probably the most inclusive sport there is and believe me, everyone remembers being where you are now. Whatever your age, gender or skill level, no one will give you a hard time as long you shoot safely.

Tell us which area you're in and between us we'll know some decent instructors. 
agree 100%    I'm a veggie  never really enjoyed meat , i use to shoot everything and anything legal ,  but now as i am a old git  i just don't want to !    clays are my chosen quarry these days .    when i was trialling my dog and picking up on shoots i thoroughly enjoyed it  !     i remember having a chat with a syndicate member who happened to be a veterinary surgeon !    conflict of interest ?      interesting chap though !!      i digress sorry !       

Yes, as has been said, the shooting community is like all others; it contains the full spectrum of people in all respects so finding like minded folk is definitely going to happen for you. OK, there is a bias towards meat eating game-shooters in some of the shooting community, but these days shotguns are more numerously used on clays than live quarry I would think, so again, don’t feel excluded. Remember, many instructors teach game shooters and clay shooters, but there are plenty of clay-only types. Shotgunning isn’t tied to shooting animals anymore than using a knife must mean you’re stabbing somebody. Most knives are for spreading butter on toast..

I developed a love for game shooting via clay shooting but I also know a few clay shots, one a close friend who isn't a vegetarian but has no interest at all in game shooting.

Personally I would ditch this instructor because you being a vegetarian shouldn't enter in to this, and his attitude sounds pretty appalling.

Really disappointing to hear of your bad experience, you have obviously tried to do the correct introduction to the sport by way of a lesson with an instructor. It should have been the experience that makes you really want to take up clay shooting rather than put you off. We are fortunate as a sport to have lots of really good coaches, forum members near you will recommend some decent ones. Have another go and post how it goes.

Part of me is tempted to say name the instructor cos it will help others avoid that bad taste start to shooting, but also aware the guy has a job that he might rely on, albeit he sounds like a complete tool.

Could name where you went I guess, and leave it at that possibly. 

it could just be he was trying to be witty and put you at ease  , break the ice so to speak ?       i wouldn't take it too seriously ,  just fluffy rabbits perhaps  ?   😀  

I wish there was a way to get some come back against awful coaches. My husband had a truly terrible nasty coach at his first lesson in 2012, I posted here about it, but there was nothing anyone could so. If it wasn't for Coach Solomons rescuing the situation my husband would have never kept on shooting. 

It happens. Bloke on the staff where I shoot helps set and fix the traps and ground in general, and who allegedly does coaching, 'offers' advice whether you want it or not when he's standing behind you... and it's really offputting!

After a while, you'll get confident enough to realise they're not a help and tell these people to simply & politely 'f*ck off'! :)

That's an interesting post, I have been shooting pigeons and clays for decades, the reason being my love of shooting, it's something I was born with.  I have also been a keen angler since I was a kid, it's just some inborn instinct, it goes along with the love of the great outdoors and all it has to offer. I don't eat what I shoot but I make sure it gets into the food chain. I don't keep the fish I catch either, I let them go although I'd keep some if a friend wanted them. I have never thought to tell anyone I'm a vegetarian, the subject rarely comes up. I'm just someone who doesn't eat meat and I can't see what that has to do with anyone unless it comes up in conversation in which case it's no secret.  

If your coach finds it worthy of comment he's a dick, find another.

Back