Any opinions on new gun please. 725 vs 692

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer7

I'm shopping for a new gun just now and have narrowed it down to the Browning B725 S3 and the Beretta 692.

The 725 I would say just feels a touch better in the shoulder to me, whether that is soley down to the fact that it fits me straight from the box or not I dont know, it just felt good! The 692 doesnt fit, although it has an adjustable comb though so can be lowered (which I wasn't able to adjust in the shop as one of the allen bolts was seized solid, they're looking into that today so I can try it.)

Anyway I had my heart set on the 692 but I like the feel of the 725, the 725 also feels much less stiff, I know they're new but the 692 was crazy stiff! Also I expect the 692 would perhaps depreciate less? Another thought I had was at one of the shoots I go to its fibre wad only, would the 692s new barrel set-up struggle with getting a sufficient seal with fibre wads and suffer ballistically?

Is there any difference between the 725 S3 and S1 other than cosmetics?

Anyway I cant decide, but I just wondered if anyone here has shot them both and can offer any opinions? I know it comes down to gun fit mostly at the end of the day but balance-wise, pointability, recoil, resale value. I'd love to hear anyones thoughts/opinions on this.

Unfortunately they dont have any demo guns for me to try so I'm a little in the dark in that respect and am going on feel!

Thanks all.

I am a beretta man through and through however I believe you have answered your own question.

For resale value, look on guntrader to get a feel. Then buy a used one if you are not sure! Impressions in the shop are so easily changed once you start shooting it, in either a positive or negative way.

As you say, both good guns. If fit is decent, then you will just acclimatise to whatever balance it has over time.

I shoot beretta my last 5 guns have been beretta's, but Iv shot both guns and have to say I like the 725 better, I was very impressed with it lovely gun, it felt a touch heavier than the 692, as for the fibre wad I wouldn't worry about that iv shot fibre thru the DT11 with out a problem, just to add the 725 don't feel like any other browning iv ever shot it feels more like a beretta the one I shot was a 32 adjustable comb

The S3 is no different to an S1 other than cosmetics. The 725 will be on a par with the Beretta for depreciation. Both have back bored barrels, but worth checking the diameters, by 525 is back bored to 18.7mm where as my mates DT11 is bored to 19.1, so my back bored 525 is still a fair bit tighter than his Beretta for fibre wads (this should be stamped on the barrels under the forend somewhere) so check both guns first.

All in all both are very good guns, but like IPS has said I thing you've answered your own question, go with the one that feels right, at the end of the day, both are very good and more than capable.

Agree with IPS and Johnny English, go with what feels best.

As to the grade, I have a lovely 525 Premium Gold with 30" barrels and a grade 1 525 with 28" barrels, the gold is a lovely gun and I shoot OK with it but shoot much better and instinctively with the 28". I may well end up PXing the Premium Gold in the new year.

The 692, has a great amount of 'adjustability'  in the stock, (little chap has one and its coped with his growth spurt this year easily) you also have the ability to balance the centre point with the system in the stock.

He loves it, no problems and its freed up nicely

As for Fibre he shoots with Gamebore Evo's both plas and fibre, the kills for both excellent. so no fibre issues but do check out different makes to see what you feel more comfortable with.  

As for re-sale value they will hold out, I have a 25 yr old 682 and can still get a fair price for it

Have fun you lucky chap :hunter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can only agree with the others. The 725 is a really nice gun, it would have been the gun I bought had I not looked at the Guerini.

I would also agree with the comment about seeing if you can get a used one, but also check out as I'm fairly sure Browning are doing £125 "cashback" so shop around either way.

Where are you based BTW?

Maybe if you state were you shoot someone on here may have the guns you are interested in and would prob be kind enough to let you shoot there's. Funny how some guns feel great in the shop but don't fit or shoot as well as you think when actually shot.

Maybe if you state were you shoot someone on here may have the guns you are interested in and would prob be kind enough to let you shoot there's. Funny how some guns feel great in the shop but don't fit or shoot as well as you think when actually shot.
That's why I asked "where are you based?" 

I'm shopping for a new gun just now and have narrowed it down to the Browning B725 S3 and the Beretta 692.

The 725 I would say just feels a touch better in the shoulder to me, whether that is soley down to the fact that it fits me straight from the box or not I dont know, it just felt good! The 692 doesnt fit, although it has an adjustable comb though so can be lowered (which I wasn't able to adjust in the shop as one of the allen bolts was seized solid, they're looking into that today so I can try it.)

Anyway I had my heart set on the 692 but I like the feel of the 725, the 725 also feels much less stiff, I know they're new but the 692 was crazy stiff! Also I expect the 692 would perhaps depreciate less? Another thought I had was at one of the shoots I go to its fibre wad only, would the 692s new barrel set-up struggle with getting a sufficient seal with fibre wads and suffer ballistically?

Is there any difference between the 725 S3 and S1 other than cosmetics?

Anyway I cant decide, but I just wondered if anyone here has shot them both and can offer any opinions? I know it comes down to gun fit mostly at the end of the day but balance-wise, pointability, recoil, resale value. I'd love to hear anyones thoughts/opinions on this.

Unfortunately they dont have any demo guns for me to try so I'm a little in the dark in that respect and am going on feel!

Thanks all.
I've shot both, both good guns, either will be fine with felt wads, my DT11 is fine with them...I think North Ayrshire have a 725 demo gun still on the shelf, they have both in stock, several 725's,your post sounds like you are leaning toward a 725,  if I were you I'd at least phone them for a price, ask for Tom, he will give you a much better price than he is allowed to advertise on his web site...

http://www.continentalshooting.co.uk/shop/guns_for_sale.aspx?get_url=http://www.guntrader.co.uk/3rdparty/Continental/GunList.php?Filter=SG

Personally I'm appalled buy the condition of new guns these days.  I suppose that there is just the blind adherence to the untouched by human hands way of modern manufacturing.  Tight guns like you mention can be put right by any decent 'smith in about ten seconds.  Maybe quicker.  I know that's about how long it takes me and I'm nothing special at all with a file.

I'm just not a Browning guy so between the two I'd go for the Beretta.  But YOU should make a choice on your shooting experience not someone else's.  The products are too close to call in any other regard IMO

besta luck

John English quote:- The S3 is no different to an S1 other than cosmetics. The 725 will be on a par with the Beretta for depreciation. Both have back bored barrels, but worth checking the diameters, by 525 is back bored to 18.7mm where as my mates DT11 is bored to 19.1, so my back bored 525 is still a fair bit tighter than his Beretta for fibre wads (this should be stamped on the barrels under the forend somewhere) so check both guns first.

19.1 bore size. Never. That can't be correct. Must be 11 bore !!

Must be great with felt wads.

Apparently makes no difference recoil.

Rosso,

Welcome to the World of deception. 19.1mm. is Eleven bore, but not if you've got as much clout as Pietro Beretta.

Back