Another CPSA Director Resignation

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who gives the CPSA its authority? I must admit I find the 'ownership' of shooting somewhat murky! ( Is that laughter from the wings )

Could a wholesale revolt and movement to a new association/organisation simply shut down the CPSA?

A group set it up, memberships kept quiet and not charged for until zero day, some investigation into basic benefits at least insurance and then on zero day 20000+ people withdraw their support in a mass vote of no-confidence. A sort of CEXIT!
Such moves have been suggested more times than I can remember, I think some attempt was made to form a rival organisation a long while back, but as far as I remember it didn't really get off the ground. The only way that the powers that be would listen, would be a mass resignation and a mass refusal to shoot registered comps......but it ain't going to happen!  There are too many organisations involved with clay shooting and individuals with vested and/or conflicting interests too! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I first joined the CPSA back in the 1980's, yes there have always been ups and downs, however over the past few years I've seen and heard more people than ever expressing a dislike of how things have become.  I'm a member of BASC as well as the CPSA and as I no longer shoot comps I'm seriously considering not renewing my CPSA membership this year.

Ah well it was worth a try, Les53.

I have to say that the overall feeling among people I talk to - barring a few notable exceptions who I'm sure we both know - is that we join to get our scores recorded and to be ranked and classified. That and the insurance. That's why I joined just a year ago, and that's pretty much what I get. But - and it's quite a big "but" - it's only since then that I have realised with some surprise that there's such an apparent disconnect between grass roots shooters (that's me) and the upper echelons of the sport at a National level, both competitors and management. It's a bit of a surprise that there's more than one set of fingers in the "British Competitive Shooting" pie. 

While comparisons are, they say, odious I can't help but compare the CPSA to BASC. And I can't be the only one that thinks BASC is a far far better organisation. Sure it has its faults, but it offers its members quite a lot more. In particular a robust mechanism for rising to the defence of shooting, which I have not noticed the CPSA doing much of.

I would really like to hear from someone at "Head Office" expounding the merits of membership, but somehow I doubt I ever will. 

Ah well it was worth a try, Les53.

I have to say that the overall feeling among people I talk to - barring a few notable exceptions who I'm sure we both know - is that we join to get our scores recorded and to be ranked and classified. That and the insurance. That's why I joined just a year ago, and that's pretty much what I get. But - and it's quite a big "but" - it's only since then that I have realised with some surprise that there's such an apparent disconnect between grass roots shooters (that's me) and the upper echelons of the sport at a National level, both competitors and management. It's a bit of a surprise that there's more than one set of fingers in the "British Competitive Shooting" pie. 

While comparisons are, they say, odious I can't help but compare the CPSA to BASC. And I can't be the only one that thinks BASC is a far far better organisation. Sure it has its faults, but it offers its members quite a lot more. In particular a robust mechanism for rising to the defence of shooting, which I have not noticed the CPSA doing much of.

I would really like to hear from someone at "Head Office" expounding the merits of membership, but somehow I doubt I ever will. 

Les53 said:
Charles I feel that BASC as a shooting organisation is held in higher regard by its members than the CPSA is by its members. BASC is of course a bigger organisation and has royal patronage too, however they do have a wide cross section of members for whom they cater, their HQ firearms dept is brilliant too.......they actually respond to e mails! BASC membership numbers dwarf those of the CPSA, hence they have a greater political clout and a louder voice than the CPSA.  As you probably already know, there are a vast amount of clay shooters who are not CPSA members, but a fair few of them ARE members of BASC! I know of quite a few shooters in my neck of the woods who regularly shoot clays, but they simply will not join the CPSA, my next door neighbour is one such person in fact. I've often been accused of CPSA bashing Charles, but we all have a right to voice our opinions about something, whether we are CPSA members or not.

I wonder who will go forward to fill Joe's job? Any volunteers?

When I was on the SW Committee shooters would come to me at shoots complaining about this and that. I would say to them "put it in writing and I will try to sort it out" the reply always was.   I don't.want politics I just wanna shoot !  So nothing got done because all complaints have to be presented in writing to CPSA.

When I was on the SW Committee shooters would come to me at shoots complaining about this and that. I would say to them "put it in writing and I will try to sort it out" the reply always was.   I don't.want politics I just wanna shoot !  So nothing got done because all complaints have to be presented in writing to CPSA.
I think that's part of the problem Cyril. Most people simply cannot be bothered half the time mate! Mind you, I've lost count of the e mails I've sent to HQ and not had a reply to. I don't blame the staff at HQ, I would imagine they do their best. But when we get the likes of Joe Kitson walking away from his job, well something is wrong in a big way! It does seem that the CPSA has not really grown very much in the last fifteen years or so, does nobody in authority at HQ bother to ask why? Last year I asked about their marketing plan and strategy for 2016, as well as about the related budget, did I get a reply? NO!!! They just seem to do as they wish.

You want shooters to take an active stance against a group of individuals that do not tolerate their *leadership* being brought in to question? Let's get serious for a couple of minutes and look at what is actually going on...

1. You have a board that protect each other and isolate any dissent

2. You have a Chairman, CEO and LEGAL counsel who are blatantly stepping outside their boundaries

3. You have ground owner who won't unite and stand against what is happening to shooting, tell me what does a premier ground actually mean to a ground owner...?

4. You have a membership that largely ignorant of what is actually happening at HQ, largely doesn't care and largely are not big enough numbers for anyone to care about

5. You are part of a sport enjoyed by a very small minority, the vast *majority* of people do not *get* shooting or why its even enjoyable

Don't like it, then don't renew your membership, it really is that simple, will it change...? ONLY WHEN THE GROUND OWNERS WAKE UP AND UNITE... just saying

The ground owners would need to unite and act all together in one fell swoop to make any difference otherwise they would be picked off by CPSA and removed from the ability to hold registered shoots.

Meanwhile there has to be a grass roots dissemination of the word to support the replacement organisation when it emerges if BASC will not take it on.

What about the employed staff at HQ?  Who is going to plan, organise and replace the registered shoot scoring database and maintain the averages, carry out promotions and demotions etc?

Perhaps British Shooting would be supportive as they are already by-passing the CPSA!

I am sure that this forum, Pigeon Watch and similar others including Facebook would easily replace PULL and the information contained therein and advertise shoots!

All too often we get "senior" members saying what's the problem or I only want to shoot.  If there is too much apathy then we can forget it!  CPSA is not important to me as I don't shoot many registered shoots so BASC would be fine.  I already have insurance via NSRA through small-bore rifle shooting!

For the grounds, instructors and coaches, and to a small extent scorers, its their livelihoods so they really have to lead.

I doubt if anything is going to change somehow! The majority will simply carry on, because they just want to shoot!

Everyone (including myself at times) thinks they can do a better job.  Just wondering how?

I honestly think people are more disgruntled now mainly because of social media. One side, or an opinion, can be spread quickly and assert itself as fact. Joes letter was shared numerous times and discussed at great length before its intended recipients had even had time to digest it.

Tis the way of the world nowadays Julia. What makes the situation at the CPSA so sad is there are many volunteers, officials and employees at all levels who do their best to make things work.

They're being let down by the actions of one or two at a senior level that have their own agendas and push aside anyone that challenges them. 

Well I guess those of us whole really do "just want to shoot", can do it with or without the cpsa! Yes Jan you're right, the organisation has some decent people and their efforts are undermined by some with their own agendas it would appear!

I have been hosting registered shoots now for 13 years averaging 3 to 4 a month so quite a lot and seen and met a few shooters along the way , now I've always heard the CPSA are pretty much useless !!! But when I ask the simple question what would you change ?? Or what else would you like see happen nearly everyone's answer is " well they are rubbish !!!

so here is my view on CPSA , the office staff are excellent at what they do , supporting members , grounds , big shoots and everyday run of the mill stuff .the board room is probably another story but as we discussed last night at a meeting no body knows what happens in there unless you are present then most of it is confidential but does it all affect everyday shooting , no I'm not sure it does , as registered shoots now are busier than I've ever known , championship entries are always a sell out , new initiatives for youngsters have been introduced , we as a game have had our profile lifted in the public domain , I do however think some of members monies are spent in the wrong direction at times and needs to be explained more to members why .i think there is too much importance put into the " Olympics " which really only affects a very tiny minority 

is the board room a closed shop ?? Who would want to give their time and efforts for free to do the job ?? Not me for one !!

so let's carry on enjoying what we do most , week in week out , shooting clays , we have enough people and bodies against us already without fighting within .

so the horse as bolted let's lock the door !!!

A someone relatively new and a retired accountant I find the annual waste of money on legal disputes annoying and it certainly is not in the best interests of the company!

But it isn't enough to make me want to do anything about it other than perhaps resign from the CPSA.

That man must have an ego that needs stroking by being the top dog, ruling the roost!

Latest posts

Back