Another old chestnut!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't make any difference with sponsorship imho, shooting sports will always be seen by the vast majority as a negative.

Just look what's happening to the shooting sports in the commonwealth games, I can see it being dropped by the IOC next
Yep and with Starmer saying guns should be harder to obtain and MSM front pages featuring the killer from Plymouth who had a legal gun, I don't see how a costly name change will make any difference to potential members or sponsors.....

Will the targets be gender neutral or be allowed to change gender if they`re unhappy ?? We musn`t have unhappy bunnies ..er sorry rabbits...errrr non gendered bouncing,rolling targets......or any such like offensiveness .
Iam waiting for the gender neutral class to be introduced. 

interestingly, in Spain , they are not too bothered about having live pigeon boxes and handicap lines sharing the clay layouts .  Call it what they may , the reason the CPSA has only 5% of shotgun certificate holders as members is not that those shooters are frightened off by the word  pigeon ….
You are probably correct there. I’ve shot clays for, I guess 35-40 years, I’m no longer a CPSA member. I no longer shoot comps so I don’t need the CPSA, I’m still a member of BASC even though I’ve never been a game shooter. 
At least BASC fights for the rights of all shooters, they have a good insurance scheme and an excellent firearms and legal department. 
The CPSA are only really interested in competitive shooters, when it comes to legal help or any technical firearms issues, they are useless. Ok the above is only my opinion, but I would guess that there are many more who share my views. 

You are probably correct there. I’ve shot clays for, I guess 35-40 years, I’m no longer a CPSA member. I no longer shoot comps so I don’t need the CPSA, I’m still a member of BASC even though I’ve never been a game shooter. 
At least BASC fights for the rights of all shooters, they have a good insurance scheme and an excellent firearms and legal department. 
The CPSA are only really interested in competitive shooters, when it comes to legal help or any technical firearms issues, they are useless. Ok the above is only my opinion, but I would guess that there are many more who share my views. 

Actually i think you may find the CPSA insurance covers more than BASC now do, for example BASC insurance no longer covers you for legal costs if your shotgun certificate is revoked.

I belong to both, a trade member of BASC. I do a lot of rough shooting and clay shooting but not competitive clay shooting however still consider the CPSA membership beneficial. If i was to end one it would probably be BASC as I feel they have lost their way with the rough shooters/pigeon shooters in favour of commercial game shooting. And they never consulted their trade members regarding their five year transition away from lead for game shooting, despite what they claim.

Actually i think you may find the CPSA insurance covers more than BASC now do, for example BASC insurance no longer covers you for legal costs if your shotgun certificate is revoked.

I belong to both, a trade member of BASC. I do a lot of rough shooting and clay shooting but not competitive clay shooting however still consider the CPSA membership beneficial. If i was to end one it would probably be BASC as I feel they have lost their way with the rough shooters/pigeon shooters in favour of commercial game shooting. And they never consulted their trade members regarding their five year transition away from lead for game shooting, despite what they claim.
I have to admit that I’ve used BASC legal department and their firearms section quite a few times over the years and found them excellent. 
I lost heart with the CPSA some years ago, I rarely seem to see any political lobbying from the CPSA. 
As for the lead shot issue? Well I think everyone knows steel is coming our way eventually, probably just a matter of time, not just in the U.K. either. 
Do the CPSA have any plans to try to stop steel in clay shooting I wonder? 
Let’s face it, the government don’t really like private gun ownership. A lot of the general public don’t like guns in private hands either. 
They often think we are part of the landed gentry or a bunch of Rambo types! 😂

Well basically it involves distancing clay shooters from game shooters so clay shooters can continue to use lead in 24grm loads because they couldn't  be used by game shooters . And the whole thing about lead is it getting into the food chain. 

And they want to do a deal with the hse , to guarantee such.The hse(not defra) now being responsible  for the abolishment of lead. 

You can view the proposal on cpsa website without the need to be a member. 

Jasper.

Well basically it involves distancing clay shooters from game shooters so clay shooters can continue to use lead in 24grm loads because they couldn't  be used by game shooters . And the whole thing about lead is it getting into the food chain. 

And they want to do a deal with the hse , to guarantee such.The hse(not defra) now being responsible  for the abolishment of lead. 

You can view the proposal on cpsa website without the need to be a member. 

Jasper.
😂😂😂😂

Change of name but how much is it going to cost? Saw somewhere £100,000!
Most people outside the sport know what clay pigeon shooting is and are not dull enough to imagine it’s associated with killing live pigeons.

Change of name but how much is it going to cost? Saw somewhere £100,000!
Most people outside the sport know what clay pigeon shooting is and are not dull enough to imagine it’s associated with killing live pigeons.
“Clay pigeon” pretty much explains that it not a live animal, at least to anybody who can breathe with their mouth shut. A few years ago my female cousin did a ladies day at EJC. Subsequently she got a letter on her birthday offering her a half price 50 bird shoot. She was horrified until I explained..

I have stopped reg shooting so continue with 'clubman' membership. £54 but being ex services get it at £49. I think that is decent value for the insurance alone.

I would be interested, just for the rankings alone. But from my (all be it limited) research online it seems that the cpsa registered shoots aren't in Scotland. So I would need to travel a fair distance to attend. Not really cool with that.

Lots of brands / businesses have changed / will change names, surely lots of the fixed asset branded items / consumables have a life and will all be changed / used / exhausted in due course, so the £ loss, whilst regrettable won’t be circa the £100k another has intimated?

In this day of nearly everything being online/ digital most branding can be changed at little cost and virtually instantly. If and it’s if, the majority of respondents/ committee decide to change name then I am of the opinion that most probably the overwhelming vast majority of CPSA members sorry new CTSA members won’t give a proverbial monkeys.

Members are quite passive, just look at country committees, most run, thanklessly and tirelessly by very few hardy individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back