Another old chestnut!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perazman

I see the cpsa are raising the prospect of a name change again.

How do we all feel about this? I'm fairly indifferent to it but the reasons seem flimsy. Will changing the word to target from pigeon really open up a whole new intake of members and propel clay shooting in to the mainstream?

PM.

Personally i don't mind if they change the name but why? Is it really necessary and will it attract new people?

Before retirement I managed several large corporate business transformation projects and that made my 1st thought -how much will a name change cost? Not just in hardware, paper, branding, IT, banking, membership bumph, internet/web changes etc -  the list goes on and on.  The cost in human resources and any contractors to make the changes could be quite large.  So who would pay for it all?

I bet the cost benefit / return on investment is either negative or very small which in my book does not make it worth while on the face of it.

Just my 2p worth.   

I'm fairly confident they could change their name but most existing members would still refer to them as the cpsa.

Anyone so sensitive that they find the word pigeon upsetting is unlikely to be wielding a shotgun any time soon!

PM.

I see the cpsa are raising the prospect of a name change again.

How do we all feel about this? I'm fairly indifferent to it but the reasons seem flimsy. Will changing the word to target from pigeon really open up a whole new intake of members and propel clay shooting in to the mainstream?

PM.
The name change should’ve happened a long time ago. It’s a shame they can’t just get on with it rather than follow the bureaucratic rigmarole they are doing. Not only will it bring us up to date but it’ll place the organisation in line with other domestic and European governing bodies, the majority of which use 'target' and have done for years. Disassociating ourselves with the word 'pigeon' may also help from a sponsorship and wider appreciation point of view. It won’t make a world of difference but it’s a step in the right direction.

I’ve been involved in the sport for 15+ years and have never referred to a target as anything other than that. So too do the great majority of my fellow competitors and all those I work with. It’s a no brainier to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rabbits, crows, teals, kills, dead pairs, my thinking is its a waste of money and really not neccessary but I would not lose any sleep over it either way

If the current management team think that dropping the word pigeon from the name will make it easier to get sponsorship then perhaps the members need to change the management team. I fail to see any lack of members wanting to shoot the major competitions and in the middle of a economic downturn there clearly isn’t a problem on that side of things , so why waste time and members money on a name change? 

I'm told that dominating the first page of search engines is vital in this digital age.

CTSA currently stands for Counter Terrorism Security Advisors which links to various government and police websites. I can't see the clicks we generate knocking those off the top.

PM.

I'm told that dominating the first page of search engines is vital in this digital age.

CTSA currently stands for Counter Terrorism Security Advisors which links to various government and police websites. I can't see the clicks we generate knocking those off the top.

PM.
Yes, and CPSA takes you to the Coloured Pencil Society of America (I kid you not).

Joking aside, Ian Parker addressed a meeting I attended several months ago about this very topic. He says the CPSA has lost sponsorship on the basis that companies outside the sport are uncomfortable with the word 'pigeon'. Now many may think that’s silly and I don't disagree but the unfortunate truth is image matters these days. If the sport’s to flourish in the long term it’s got to move with the times.

Could just call them Clays - CSA.  Might get confused with the Child Support Agency though.  I can imagine a few people getting palpitations when a letter with CSA on the envelope comes through the door!

It won't make any difference with sponsorship imho, shooting sports will always be seen by the vast majority as a negative.

Just look what's happening to the shooting sports in the commonwealth games, I can see it being dropped by the IOC next

I envisage a massive waste of money, trashing a vast amount of CPSA logo goods. Although I suppose they could flog them as future collectors items  !
Out in Spain the it's called tiro al Plato , which translates to clay plate. If we adopted the same term the sport could be known as the CPSA 😀

interestingly, in Spain , they are not too bothered about having live pigeon boxes and handicap lines sharing the clay layouts .  Call it what they may , the reason the CPSA has only 5% of shotgun certificate holders as members is not that those shooters are frightened off by the word  pigeon ….

they can call themselves whatever they like it will not change anything.none of the so called organisations do anything to protect our sport which is why we as the sporting shooters are an endangered species.
And THAT is why I left the CPSA  !

I no longer Instruct as such, I don't shoot Competitions any more and I am a Life Member of BASC. 

Will the targets be gender neutral or be allowed to change gender if they`re unhappy ?? We musn`t have unhappy bunnies ..er sorry rabbits...errrr non gendered bouncing,rolling targets......or any such like offensiveness .

Back