6.5 SHOT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who was that? I don't follow skeet, I find it boring.

I no Richard Faulds won a major skeet event with Supreme 6.5's with full choke and 32" barrels. 

If you're a good shot you don't need a blunderbuss ?
Just think how much better he would have done with cyl chokes and 9 shot. Still if it was the first time he had shot skeet I understand as everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Killed thousands of pigeons with those back in the 70's, they used to be in a red paper case with a rolled turnover.
Were they the  ones with the single piece primer?  We got some as a light load for new shooters. In those days it wss 32g that everyone shot and yhe assumption was they wokld be softer.

It turned out that the opposite was true.

Just think how much better he would have done with cyl chokes and 9 shot. Still if it was the first time he had shot skeet I understand as everyone has to start somewhere.
Must have been that English Skeet lark! Like DTL it's the underarm bowling of the shooting world and so slow you can shoot pairs with a single shot black powder muzzle loader!  No offence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Were they the  ones with the single piece primer?  We got some as a light load for new shooters. In those days it wss 32g that everyone shot and yhe assumption was they wokld be softer.

It turned out that the opposite was true.
They did have a single piece primer, but I do not recall any recoil problems. Thinking back though, they were going through a pair of Grand Europeans and they were both around the 8lbs mark.

Using 6.5 black golds through full and full chokes tomorrow at helice. That should break them well 

And the patterns - L Teague 3/8 at 20m, R teague 5/8 at 40m. Have tried 7/8 at 40 as well but pattern and shot count are worse than with 5/8...

View attachment 5555
Great pattern for Woodpigeons!  Not so sure about Clay ones though!  The 20yd target would have been dusted.  The 40yd one a chippy snappy break at best.  Sounds like the Full choke is blowing the pattern though.  

Well the 6.5 black golds worked well fkr helice. Came away Warwickshire senior and overall county champ on sunday :)

I shot at Oakedge on Saturday morning.  The Compak was as difficult a set of 5 targets as I have ever seen, if not THE hardest.  The closest target was a 40yd full face L/R Crosser.  The furthest target was a looper the wrong side of 70m.  Targets weren't wind affected and my friend shot 7.5's at most of these.  He hit the Looper and it broke but the delay and the break weren't convincing.  I hit it with Express supremes 6.5's and 3/4 choke and really destroyed it confidently.  In my book there is a place for the 6.5 shot.  Not all of the time, but certainly on those types of birds.  The rest of the targets I shot all with Fiocchi Official 7.5's (UK 7's), and they all broke very well out to 60m.

If anybody was there they will know what targets I am on about!!  Great mind you.  I loved shooting at them and will be back on a more regular basis to have a crack at them!

I shot at Oakedge on Saturday morning.  The Compak was as difficult a set of 5 targets as I have ever seen, if not THE hardest.  The closest target was a 40yd full face L/R Crosser.  The furthest target was a looper the wrong side of 70m.  Targets weren't wind affected and my friend shot 7.5's at most of these.  He hit the Looper and it broke but the delay and the break weren't convincing.  I hit it with Express supremes 6.5's and 3/4 choke and really destroyed it confidently.  In my book there is a place for the 6.5 shot.  Not all of the time, but certainly on those types of birds.  The rest of the targets I shot all with Fiocchi Official 7.5's (UK 7's), and they all broke very well out to 60m.

If anybody was there they will know what targets I am on about!!  Great mind you.  I loved shooting at them and will be back on a more regular basis to have a crack at them!
Doesn't sound like regular compak, maybe sportrap.

Anyway - shot the very last of those yesterday on trap - scored 71/75. Looking back  S&B 24g in 6.5 left a solid impression and I'd pick them up anytime for trap or sporting over any distance.

Back