6.5 SHOT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not by my logic but his own admission : 80 yards at 1.32 secs he states standard shell, I believe he even shoots it beyond that point but changes to 5's at 100 yards. Whatever you like to use as a crutch it doesn't matter, I'm generally only interested in facts, incorruptible numbers and incorruptible evidence. GD CAN reliably break edge on 80 yard clays with 7.5's (certain presentations will prove less reliable) as can many others including Winser and Solomons. If someone is showing you birds beyond that range then using 6.5's is not needed because of a shortage of kinetic energy but merely giving random breaks which you are interpreting as evidence. 

So, why not use them all the way through then, if they pattern too tight  :p  then drop down to half, I mean if it breaks 90 yard edge on aways then use it for absolutely everything. Come to think of it why don't the Trap boys use it ?

The reason of course is that there is a trade off between kinetic strike and density otherwise people would use it everywhere. If a target is so far and edge on that it needs the striking power of a 2.5mm pellet then it is beyond the realm of skill alone because by definition we're saying that you could put a good load of 7.5's through a tight choke and manage to be ON it and fail to break it because it's too far ! So we need the (unquestionably) more random nature of a load of 6.5's to luck into a few actual breaks !

350 pellets in 7.5's depending on antimony in 1 oz V 250 pellets in 6.5's so roughly 30% fewer  ;)
I think you will find the Trap Boys have to use 24g carts, and none are 6.5 Shot.  :ph34r:

*28g 6.5 Black Gold is a standard shell...
Not his standard shell though or he'd have said it. You are not seriously saying you disbelieve he and others can break 80 yarders with 7.5 ? I can mince a few at 60 so hardly a leap of imagination is it ? 

I will admit there are clay targets and certain orientations coupled to long range (not 90 yards, more like under 50) where you will gain a mechanical advantage by using bigger shot. Rockets and quartering rabbits spring to mind, in fact a few years ago I posted about a certain (relatively close) half face rocket type clay that wouldn't break reliably at Southdown. I was so convinced our squads misses were too inexplicable that I went and stood to one side and kept watching the clay until it hit the ground. Sure enough one clay blew itself apart just before hitting the ground and well after a miss had been presumed by shooter and scorer. I waited till he had finished and reported this to the scorer who rightly or wrongly awarded a kill. 

Not by my logic but his own admission : 80 yards at 1.32 secs he states standard shell, I believe he even shoots it beyond that point but changes to 5's at 100 yards. Whatever you like to use as a crutch it doesn't matter, I'm generally only interested in facts, incorruptible numbers and incorruptible evidence. GD CAN reliably break edge on 80 yard clays with 7.5's (certain presentations will prove less reliable) as can many others including Winser and Solomons. If someone is showing you birds beyond that range then using 6.5's is not needed because of a shortage of kinetic energy but merely giving random breaks which you are interpreting as evidence. 

Who had the Tape measure then.???    :angel:

For goodness sake use 2.4mm true No7 and forget about the messing about. If you can't break it with that at a sporting competition either you're nowhere near it or the course setter is an idiot.

I've not tried 6.5s systematically on clays (apart from probably in practice when I've had some game cartridges in my pocket), but I'm thinking I will shortly.  When I previously wanted some extra punch on FITASC targets, I used 36g of 7.5 when the rules allowed.  Worked nicely but got a little tiring after a while.

My query (to myself as much as anyone) is how they will perform through my Perazzi which has fixed 3/8 and 5/8 chokes.  I planned to have it Teagued when I got it, but never saw the need to because it patterned beautifully and to a degree, I'm a believer in the maxim is a solution to a problem most people don't have.  

I'll have to set up a plate and pattern it, but I expect the 5/8 barrel will not see any gaps, but not sure about the 3/8  Might be a bit open at longer range.  That said, I already used Hull Sovereigns and like the pattern, so fingers crossed the parcours perform just as well.  Bit quicker too, I think.

Interesting food for thought and something to try.

Mel, buy some 6.5's and pattern them on clays...you might be surprised at the breaks you get through your 3/8 choke!!!

Ive shot a round of abt with 30g 5s game cartridges on a practice  when i took the wrong box. 

The breaks were much better than I expected. much harder hitting than 7s.

Guys by some odd chances just got a hold of 500 S&B 24g in UK 6.5 EUR 7  - 2.5mm cartridges.

Strange lot that doesn't exist in catalogues is suppose to be Special edition loaded for Chech Trap National Team for upcoming Olympics.

I don't have much faith in 24g - even less in one loaded with 6.5's tho I will give them a try and shoot them on trainings in this coming season and then report on how it went.

View attachment 5365

Ok just a follow up - shot 4 rounds a 25 of Compak today at Muggia (Italy) through Teague ext. 3/8 and 5/8 - layout made out of both skeets (high and low house), 1 tower crosser - comming high from left to right at 30m, 1 quartering incomer - incoming from half left from 80m landing at 30m, 1 mini incomer from 70m landing at 20m, 1 trap going away from 15m central - 10 deg to the right, vertical teal,  rabbit slightly going away from 25-40m and a R-L high crosser at 15m.

It was a training session - scored 21, 20, 19, 22 - hits on edge on clays were - no smoked ones - however very firm even on longest ones, very solid on vertical teal.

Recoil is short and strong - by all means quite sharper than on regular S&B Trap Sports supposedly loaded to 395 m/s,

Fast & very clean cartridge & and after one session quite reassuring 24g load.

P.S I will pattern it asap and let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Express Supreme Comp 6.5's ( or World Cup fibre 6.5s)

They are simply awesome out of my MK38.

I use them for all my clay shooting and have used a lot pigeon and even pheasant shooting. 

There isn't a clay they won't kill.....

I use them for all my clay shooting and have used a lot pigeon and even pheasant shooting. 

Wow do you have any teeth left? :lol:   (The truth of the matter is, I'm just a wimp.)

Guys by some odd chances just got a hold of 500 S&B 24g in UK 6.5 EUR 7  - 2.5mm cartridges.

Strange lot that doesn't exist in catalogues is suppose to be Special edition loaded for Chech Trap National Team for upcoming Olympics.

I don't have much faith in 24g - even less in one loaded with 6.5's tho I will give them a try and shoot them on trainings in this coming season and then report on how it went.

View attachment 5365
Killed thousands of pigeons with those back in the 70's, they used to be in a red paper case with a rolled turnover.

Didn't someone win the British or English skeet shooting these with full chokes a couple of years ago?  I think it was the first time they had shot skeet going by their choice of chokes and shells.

Didn't someone win the British or English skeet shooting these with full chokes a couple of years ago?  I think it was the first time they had shot skeet going by their choice of chokes and shells.
Who was that? I don't follow skeet, I find it boring.

I no Richard Faulds won a major skeet event with Supreme 6.5's with full choke and 32" barrels. 

If you're a good shot you don't need a blunderbuss ?

Back