28 , 30 or 32"

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tend to slice mine rather than prick, didnt do any this year as I still have 5 or so litres from last year /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif

Oh my goodness... away for a weekend, and it's gone all 'Carry on ShootClay'

I like "Carry ON"! The Lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

shootclay admin said:

Oh my goodness... away for a weekend, and it's gone all 'Carry on ShootClay'
Yes and we've all been very well behaved matt,hope you can remember how to shoot a gun next week,been 3 weeks ain't it

Ummm no - I had a go last week, but it was a bit rubbish... 3 weeks since anything registered.... deffo exploring my options for next weekend.

Matt, I have tried twice to post in the FITASC forum. It say "saving" in black but did not save the post. I also have some documents for the posting in PDF. Email me and I will send all the info for the NA FITASC GP. Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Back to the original question.I would think that the ideal barrel length would be 30".I have used 32" for more than twenty years and have never found any disadvantage except for walked up gameshooting, where I think we all would agree that is a little too long.I do know a number of Trap shooters who after trying 32" barrels have gone back to 30" especially Olympic trap shooters, who felt that 30" is more manageable.At the end of the day it is what suits you and how your gun balances between the hands.Semi-auto's are inherently long due to the receiver length, I don't think you would want a 32" or 34" barrel stuck on the end of one of those.I don't think I would like to shoot my 32" MK38 if I was in a hot spot on Norfolk Partridges.I am sure that if Perrazi or Berreta wanted to move 30" barrels and gave George & Richard guns, we would soon change to similar length barrels. 

George shoots 32" for clays by choice, he did use a 34" for a while but prefers this for game apparently. I really doubt Perazzi could tell him to shoot 30" if that's not what he wants.  Bidwell was the last of the greats to switch to 32" for clays and has said he wished he'd done it earlier. I do agree that 32" can be too much for trap and walked up game, also that 32" is too much for a semi. Personally I even found a 30" too much on my last Teknys. If and when I buy another one it'll be a 28", probably /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif.

Latest posts

Back