21 gram for sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill.rosa

Hi all ,

Would be interested to learn if any  of you have ever used 21 gram in a registered sporting shoot, as I have in practise been very impressed with the new Fiocchi 21 gram cartridge on the Podimore and Southern counties grounds.

Bought one box once - shooting Skeet at the time and blitzed all 25, but for no logical reason that I can therefore think of, I just wouldn't feel confident in using them for a registered sporting.

Have often used 24g in practice and happy enough with the result, so its probably just all in the bonce mate.

Mind you, I have never tried the undoubtedly awesome 21g Fiocchi . . . . . . . just saying Nic  :crazy:

If you put it in the right place it mashes them....simples...!

Hi all ,

Would be interested to learn if any  of you have ever used 21 gram in a registered sporting shoot, as I have in practise been very impressed with the new Fiocchi 21 gram cartridge on the Podimore and Southern counties grounds.
I used 21g CompX in a sporting shoot at Barrow Heath last weekend. The only birds I didn't break at all were quartering crossers, and that was due to the fact I couldn't hit a quartering crosser with a punt gun. Coach has proved to me that my 21g cartridges can break bunnies at 55 yards, so I'm confident that the cartridge is currently better than me. 

I know one or two people who shoot 24g very well indeed and hold good averages but don't know anyone who shoots 21g for registered ESP.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all I used in registered shoots. I have changed to 24g because Inreally like them but it has not made any difference to my scores. I am sure any good shot can use a 21g and do extremely well. didn't wyle have a 21g challenge - I did not go but I bet he did not set soft targets.

i went , the targets were not soft . the 21's were busting up a long crosser on the famous bank without any probs whatsever by shooters of all standards.smooth as you like to shoot too. think the wining score was around the 95ex100 mark and the winner re-entered with his usual 28grm load and did a 97 think with 2nd round advantage of already having shot the birds. so imo the 21grm vs 28 grm had little effect. other than in the mind????? go for it .

have also used 24grm loads to good effect at reg shoots. mrs jasper shoots nowt else. just tried some gamebore evo's in 24grm which she says are very smooth (compared to a 24grm eley first) and give superb kills.

I'm really liking the 24g Gamebore Evos. Has anyone tried them in Fibre - just for when I need Fibre?

usual dealer couldn't get any last time ( about 3 weeks ago) said gamebore were out of em .will try some next time.

I'm really liking the 24g Gamebore Evos. Has anyone tried them in Fibre - just for when I need Fibre?
I shoot them as my main choice in fibre,  I tried the eley firsts, and found them a bit smeary on the bores

The  other one i like is the Lyvale express in 24g with the platic wad,  thats another nice cartridge

Mart

I shoot them as my main choice in fibre,  I tried the eley firsts, and found them a bit smeary on the bores

The  other one i like is the Lyvale express in 24g with the platic wad,  thats another nice cartridge

Mart
Thanks for that I will give them a go.

In my experience 21gm will break most crossing and quartering clays under 40 yards but if it is a DTL type target above 40 yards , a long rabbit or anything quartering away at long range you will need something bigger! I use 14 and half chokes all the time as I am not a fan of choke changing .I have been using 21gm loads extensively since they came out .

Wrohhhooonnng..!

Ask our Ed about the targets being easily broken with 21 grm and 16 grm that we were testing at Andy's ground several years ago... :wink:

If you put it in the right place it will break...true story..!

The extreme battue was Ed's pièce de résistance.

Cor peeps.....just have some confidence in your abilities.

DTL is easily hit with 21grms....after all it is only waddling away at 50yds...........not as if you are talking OT at 75 yds.

Sorry to disagree but that statement is just wrong! Having tested several light load cartridges for a shooting ground I can tell you that a 21g shell will break every target on a sporting course, when we tested these shells we were shooting a midi fired off a 150 foot crane and pushed the midi out to at least 65 yards and the shells turned them inside out.

There is so much misinformation about lighter loads its laughable, the only difference we noticed when do the comparison was, they are slightly quicker then a 28g load and they hold a much tighter pattern (recoil is minimal).I would like to see why people think a 21g won't break over a given distance? From what I have seen and shot I can tell you they have no problems getting out to big distances and they have no problem killing the bird once they get there.

Sorry to disagree but that statement is just wrong! Having tested several light load cartridges for a shooting ground I can tell you that a 21g shell will break every target on a sporting course, when we tested these shells we were shooting a midi fired off a 150 foot crane and pushed the midi out to at least 65 yards and the shells turned them inside out.

There is so much misinformation about lighter loads its laughable, the only difference we noticed when do the comparison was, they are slightly quicker then a 28g load and they hold a much tighter pattern (recoil is minimal).I would like to see why people think a 21g won't break over a given distance? From what I have seen and shot I can tell you they have no problems getting out to big distances and they have no problem killing the bird once they get there.
Quite right....well said..! (I posted at the same time as you).I find that often the people talking about them in the negative fall into one of two simple categories ....can't shoot.....not shot 21grms.

For choice and depending on discipline being shot.....I prefer 24, 28 and 36grms..........BUT....21grms get there if 'YOU' put it in the right place peeps.

Last edited:
On a side note, I have used Gamebore's 24g Evo at several registered fitasc shoots this year and think they are fantastic. The patterns are excellent (well through my MK38 anyway) and the reduced recoil is really noticeable, especially in the car on the way home when you realise your shoulder is complaining! If you haven't tried them I would strongly suggest you grab a box or two and see what happens.

Yes.....you should try 24grm....Fiocchi Golden Trap.....it turns them inside out at massive distances.......just saying..!!

I was always impressed with them. Their main problem is that they have '21g' written on the box, which screws their image and just makes people worried. In the better ones I patterned (hull were great) they are effectively a 28g pattern, but missing the less effective (more dispersed) outer part of the pattern.

The fact that it takes less propellant to shove 21g out of the gun at decent speed means less recoil. Again, to shooters, they mistakenly perceive the lower recoil as 'less power'.

Yes I use 28g for competition, because more pellets must assist a touch, but if the rules said 21g for everybody I wouldn't mind at all.

Only the dicks do.

Edit - for got to add the bit of the quote I was referring to ......shooters who think it has less effective power....dicks :wink:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back