2 k budget Which gun to buy opinions please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwg

Im getting into sporting clays have done a fair few days at least 30 this year all over scotland at various grounds and locations and really enjoying it 

im not into real game shooting so it will be sporting clays only 

ive just sorted my shotgun certificate im now looking to buy a gun i have 2k budget to buy a gun 

My main questions are 

new or used ? 

Browning ?

berreta ?

Another brand 

thanks 

The one that fits you the best, is the one you should buy.

The $ will go much further with a pre-owned gun.  Consider whatever it has been that you have used so far and how that compares to the market.  What with as much as you shot already you should a have pretty good idea of what works for you.  

the most important thing to do is TAKE YOUR TIME and not do the impulse thing.  Used guns are a buyer's market and don't get pushed into buying unless it is absolutely what you are looking for.

JMO of course

I would buy a £1000 gun and £1000 of cartridges. When you've shot all them you will be shooting far better than you would with a £2000 gun.

and this, you can get a perfectly good gun sub 1k

I would buy a £1000 gun and £1000 of cartridges. When you've shot all them you will be shooting far better than you would with a £2000 gun.
Not often I disagree with you but he won't. A grands worth of shells will never bridge the gap between the quality of a Turkish monstrosity or something Japanese. 

£1000 buys a 686 silver pigeon. Or a mk38 or a 101 Winchester.
Yes but implying that 5000 shells make a tangible dent in skill levels is still innately flawed. If the guy says he has 2k then might as well buy a gun worth two grand. I am a firm believer that high price tags don't buy scores but will always readily admit that spending up to say 5-6k if you can spare the cash is good sense. Shells are a completely different subject.

l can point out hundreds of useless shots who have shot thousands more than people who thrash them week in week out. 

Yes but implying that 5000 shells make a tangible dent in skill levels is still innately flawed. If the guy says he has 2k then might as well buy a gun worth two grand. I am a firm believer that high price tags don't buy scores but will always readily admit that spending up to say 5-6k if you can spare the cash is good sense. Shells are a completely different subject.

l can point out hundreds of useless shots who have shot thousands more than people who thrash them week in week out. 
when starting out 5000 shots makes a massive difference to your skill levels the learning curve is at its steepest.

when starting out 5000 shots makes a massive difference to your skill levels the learning curve is at its steepest.
Yes I agree but shells are Still a different subject. By your logic we should be able to CPSA classify noobs by number of shots fired ! Why not grab a £250 quidder and spend the rest on shells, I just don't get the thing when people advise people to spend money on coaching/shells when they have sought advice for a gun ! 

ps. I do respect you loads and everyfing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
hammy has a valid point really. The op did state his budget and I suppose its not for us to question it.

Whatever your final choice of gun may be, take your time in selecting it and do try as many different models as possible. From that, you can build a shortlist which may help your final choice. By trying various guns you will soon be able to decide if you are going to be happy with a gun, or not.

As advised.. don't rush.do your homework and look at as many you can . there's no need.  Guns especially in that price range are like used cars.. There will always be another just the same as the one the sales person is pushing you to buy. 

Lots of good used guns sub £2K. Stick to the well known stuff, Beretta, Miroku or Miroku made Brownings. They are well made, hold their value and are easy to sell on at a later date should you wish to do so. Yes and as mentioned previously, make sure it fits you correctly, if it doesn't then get it altered.

Latest posts

Back