155 Yard Teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say this, i have seen GD shoot the teal 6 times over the years and other people try it too, including me ! (not well i might add ),,, not a guaranteed shot at 90mt plus , about 7 or 8 out of ten break, the others are hits, but the pellets `bounce off`, not enough kinetic energy, after 100m its down mostly to persistence and luck.and this with 2.5mm pellets, you can hear the pings if the wind is right,, which is also a factor ,that wind blows shot off course ,depending on wind strength, and pellet drop also comes  into it at 100m,as does initial velocity,which drops alarmingly after a few yards.  also ,remember that 2.5 and smaller pellets have a safety range of 350m, after which they are back on the ground anyway.

A friend of mine a AAA class shot who shoots for England in the ESP discipline, borrowed my mk38 and Kent velocity cartridges and hit 8 out of 8 Teals at WELL over 100yds with half choke.  Further than that, with 7.5 shot, you could hear the pellets cracking off the clay with only the odd one breaking.

I know what Hammie is saying.......but come on guys'n'gals.........don't p1ss on the blokes bonfire.  He damn well did it!  Regardless of choke....shot size.....wind.....luck and good fortune......his intention was to break it........AND HE BLOODY WELL DID IT!  

You could argue exactly the same thing about hitting a 30mm white ball 370yds into a 4" diameter hole......with a flag in it..........But it happens!

Give the guy a break.  I take my hat off to him!  

DAMN WELL DONE SIR!

(now when you get 5 minutes can you teach me how to do it?)  PLEEEEEEAAAAAAASE! 

As a relative newbie to the sport, please don't take this as an expert opinion. 

As as far as I can tell, based on the physics of how shot/smooth bore shooting works I'm more with Hammy. The fact that the guy did it is amazing, but surely the dispersion of the shot at that distance makes the shot a lottery. Not undoable but highly unlikely to be a repeatable excercise, even under lab conditions. 

Hat at off to the guy, I'd have rushed out and bought a lotto ticket that day too!

A shotgun is absolutely useless at 155 yards. When I tried it the pattern was 7ft at the very least and had gaps of 18 inches. And no5 shot wouldn't go through cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
considering that shotguns are for relatively close ranges a pretty pointless exercise BUT although a degree of luck was necessary the shot still had to be in the right place so some credit must be given, still pointless though.

If you look at the video above, you will see that the cartridges on test, don't open up till over 100 meters, so you still get 1 hole at 100 meters!

With practice, such a cartridge would greatly increase the chances of consistently hitting such an extreme range teal.

If you look at the video above, you will see that the cartridges on test, don't open up till over 100 meters, so you still get 1 hole at 100 meters!

With practice, such a cartridge would greatly increase the chances of consistently hitting such an extreme range teal.
As its sold at normal shotgun ranges, would this be classed as a slug and therefore section 1?

There was a long thread on this shell on PigeonWatch a while back and the results from some tests done by a member were at best erratic and not a little scary. It will take a single incident of it "balling" and either killing someone or causing horrendous damage for the authorities to take close notice, in my view it has no place in shotgunning. 

Even if it could be relied on to open up at say 100 yards, it would still mean having to produce super tight patterns beyond that to provide the density needed to hit clays at 155 yards and the laws of physics regarding individual pellet energy retention will not have changed, i.e, the kinetic energy will still be marginal. 

The reason people have enough trouble connecting with 55 yard clays is that as range increases all manner of minor imperfections in lead, tempo, line and timing  etc, magnify to make missing much easier  :mellow:  add 100 yards to that and you might as well get a big bag of popcorn watching anyone hitting stuff consistently with anything. 

Somewhat off the original post!

but that 100m shell seems a poor idea for long range.i have cut a cartridge (three slits)  midway down the plastic wad, it becomes fairly lethal, not kind to the barrel though! i  even with skeet chokes , I also made slugs and reloaded for hunting warthog etc, accurate and deadly at 100 yards. luckily they are illegal here,although they may have applications for pigs!  problem is over-penetration, a one ounce slug at 1500 FPS will smash an engine block etc.

Although this is a fairly interesting topic, I think we are dancing around the handbags a little?

The largest cartridge we can legally use for clayshooting is 28gram of number 6 shot , so let us shoot 155 yard Teal using those.

Or set up a Teal Challenge using legal cartridges , rather than using Game Cartridges , which you should not be using on Clay grounds at all.

Although this is a fairly interesting topic, I think we are dancing around the handbags a little?

The largest cartridge we can legally use for clayshooting is 28gram of number 6 shot , so let us shoot 155 yard Teal using those.

Or set up a Teal Challenge using legal cartridges , rather than using Game Cartridges , which you should not be using on Clay grounds at all.
Legally? ...

I never seen a law dedicated to any part of clay shooting rules within organisations or grounds maybe...but never legally defined.

For those of a pedantic nature , who may or may not know the rules governing our sports, when I used the term 'legally' I meant "within the rules governing the  sport".

Is it good for our sport for Johnny Bigbollocks to spray number 4 & 5 shot over an adjoining housing estate or A road?

I actually think that apart from having a bit of light hearted fun, extreme range shooting (under carefully thought out safety considerations) serves no purpose at all, if a Gameshooter shot at birds at extreme range with a very small success percentage , I would never shoot with that person again.

If a clayshoot set up ridiculously long range targets that realistically were unobtainable by the majority, I would not pay to shoot there.

Latest posts

Back