Sunday Sporting Shenanigans - Hunting in packs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point(s) Will, I can't help wondering if all guns know the rules though? Or is it a case of bar snooker where "local" rules seem to appear as and when required. 

As a non competitive shooter, may I ask, what is the rule for Sim Pairs? 
All the rules are published on CPSA site and I would hand a copy to every scorer I employed. Sim pairs are simple, nothing is established if its a no bird. Pair again from scratch.

i agree with Hamster on this one!! I've seen it all people trying to claim hits when they've missed, and people been given hits when they've missed. Unfortunately that's the way it is. A "Hornets nest" down to the individual to be honest, but I am sure we have all questioned if we "killed that". You can't call somebody a cheat for questioning a kill or not, how many times do you see scorers get it wrong!! Tough one!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All the rules are published on CPSA site and I would hand a copy to every scorer I employed. Sim pairs are simple, nothing is established if its a no bird. Pair again from scratch.

Same for trailing singles.

I work at Churchill's and referee on the CPSA shoots when work permits and only get paid the minimum hourly wage. Only exception was the World Sporting Championship which was £80 a day. The first 4 hours just about covers my travelling costs after the taxman has had his share.
Then he's getting more than you !!

Defo said that two shoots ago £85 the average.

My mate was there.

This bloke was going to shoot but they were short of scorers so he scored.

Don't know his name skinny 65 ish big curly hair shoots a weird looking Beretta semi that loads itself from the side then spits empty out the bottom, I think it's a Beretta that's supposed to break.

If, when Reffing, I have a developing argument and I feel that I am right, I simply call "Pair again, both birds established as a lost", end of. I once did have one of the 'top' shooters complete with his backup group, trying to argue a no bird on what was a clear 'LOST' I asked for his scorecard back, ripped it into 4 and advised that he go back to the clubhouse to lodge his complaint.

In trap we have three other shooters reffing each line so any hassle and three people's eyes to make a decision.

so to answer post 30, as no-one else has,,
https://www.cpsa.co.uk/books

the answer is in general rules and regs, booklet 5. section 3. 

in particular, 3.07 and 3.08 says that the REFEREE,, must notify the result after each double, kill/lost/no target, or at the least EVERY ¬lost` scored.

so insist on a ref doing this, as it will eliminate any post shoot argument with regards score leaving the stand. better to be in a squad for general consensus too,, if they are paying attention, instead of taking the p!iss out of you.!

I remember a well known skeet shooter, who claims to be a world champion, miss a target. Immediately his shooting friends, whom he often shot with, turned on the young scorer and pressured him into giving him the target again. It's plain and simple cheating and, sadly not an uncommon sight on the skeet field.

+1

in particular, 3.07 and 3.08 says that the REFEREE,, must notify the result after each double, kill/lost/no target, or at the least EVERY ¬lost` scored.

Righty ho you shooting ground owners on here let's have some of that at your shoots.

I remember a well known skeet shooter, who claims to be a world champion, miss a target. Immediately his shooting friends, whom he often shot with, turned on the young scorer and pressured him into giving him the target again. It's plain and simple cheating and, sadly not an uncommon sight on the skeet field.
Hence my terminology "Hunting In Packs".........Disgraceful

I would imagine its quite hard for ground owners to get scorers . We shooters expect more stands now than years gone by, only adds to their problem.

Most of the scorers do seem to be young . Presumably these are just earning  a bit of pocket money as we older ones used to call it.

Really should be thankful for these young and old . Because scoring ourselves would not work.

For a young person to be sitting at a stand for 6 plus hours in all weathers and deal with a group of shooters, who might have 60 years of experience between them and hold your ground against them is asking a bit much.

Once again the great majority of us except it and do not attempt to cheat  ,yet we feel the need to change things for the minority who you will never stop anyway.

After my rant yesterday I think I will take a leaf out of Steve Lovatts book and challenge this behaviour when witnessed. My next topic may be to ask whats the best cure for a black eye

This is a point that I have made recently on another thread. To become a 'qualified' Ref. it can cost the best part of £200 if an overnight stay is required and it usually is if you live in this part of the world. Having 'qualified' one can then let the local grounds know that you are available for Reffing as and when required. Although grounds in the South may be paying £85, the average up North, is around £65. To 'earn' this I have to forsake my own shooting and be prepared to spend upwards of 6 hours collecting material for my next book, "101 reasons for missing with a shotgun", sometimes without a break and regardless of the weather. One only has to read the above threads to realise it can be a thankless task. Hence the lack of suitably qualified Refs. It is NOT just our sport either, due to Parental behaviour, amateur football Refs are in very short supply too, I am led to believe.  

Even qualified refs get it wrong!! Just not so often!!
It's like 3-2-1 but without Ted Rodgers.

Score what you see!

Unfortunately you will never win the boat/car/holiday/fondue set/canteen of cutlery or even that cartridge bin with the face, hands and feet on it!!   :biggrin:

During the time I was involved with running a shooting ground we used to score even the practice lines at DTL, this was NOT competition. Every week there would be someone arguing their scores, I sorted this by giving the worst offender his scoresheet back BLANK and a pen.

Back