155 Yard Teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
155 lazered vertical real at grange farm :)

past 100 yards results get pretty patchy
Especially with those Pro Pistons 

Just as an edit, I've shot a few of them and have broken some targets at 50-yards with 1/4 choke.  How far they would break a clay at I don't know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Understanding how shot gun cartridges and patterns work makes it hard to see it as a massive achievement, sorry. 
Come on then Hamster!!!!!  See how many shots it takes you to achieve a 155 yd Teal then........with the wind Blowing!   :lol:   Oh, and your 8 shot as well!

Tell me when you hit it that you didn't enjoy it or achieve anything!   ;)

I'd love to see the dent a no.5 shot makes in cardboard. 
Should see the Bruise I got off falling shot at Weston Wood.  It bloody well batted me fair hard and left a bruise.  Thats just falling shot!  If its breaking targets at 155yds, then it is still carrying a lot of speed and Kinetic Energy.

I believe a good shot can consistently hit a 60-70 yard clay, with half choke and a quality 28g cartridge in 7's or 8's
As well as some bad ones..... Fences estate in Essex used have a stated 85 yard Battue which i broke more often than not (just) using 24g no 8. I have been hit in the back (hopefully accidentally) through a shirt, jumper and tweed waistcoat from about 150 - 180 yards with no 6 and that hurt, i think that shot carries more energy than people realise

I believe a good shot can consistently hit a 60-70 yard clay, with half choke and a quality 28g cartridge in 7's or 8's
well I obviously i don't  fit in the " good shot category "   to me a standard clay don't look that big at 60 to 70 yards  to be hit consistently  , owt moving  can easily be missed in my book !   still judging by the comments on here everyone must be aaa shots .     :D     wish I was . B)   

If you get the chance to use a laser range finder it'll come as some surprise how far 70 yards actually is, I promise. Judging distances between 20 to 40 yards is not all that hard, beyond that it is a surprisingly hard art to master, the best way to do it is break the equation down into 2 or even 3 chunks and add them up so say from the stand to that tree is 30ish yards, from the tree to the break point is another 25ish, surprising what you thought might be a 75 yarder often turns out to be much closer. 

75 yards is a bloody long way in clay world. 

George Digweed consistently hit (on video and in front of spectators) clays out to 130yds.  That wasn't luck.  It seems like this chap did the same thing and walked back to 155yds and hit it (albeit with the 2nd shot).

Thats not luck. He did it.  

I hear what you are saying Hamster. I can see how a shell opens up and the level of break will be pattern dependent and shot Kinetic Energy Dependent.  But look at what the lad did.  HE WALKED BACK AND HIT IT ALMOST EVERY TIME UNTIL HE GOT TO 155YDS.

NOT LUCK.

George Digweed consistently hit (on video and in front of spectators) clays out to 130yds.  That wasn't luck.  It seems like this chap did the same thing and walked back to 155yds and hit it (albeit with the 2nd shot).

Thats not luck. He did it.  

I hear what you are saying Hamster. I can see how a shell opens up and the level of break will be pattern dependent and shot Kinetic Energy Dependent.  But look at what the lad did.  HE WALKED BACK AND HIT IT ALMOST EVERY TIME UNTIL HE GOT TO 155YDS.

NOT LUCK.
When anybody hits 7x10 at 150 yards I'll retract my statement, almost anybody could hit the odd one at silly range, there is simply no such thing even remotely resembling a pattern at much over 90 yards never mind 155, it's just a random pellet landing on the clay. Sure you have to point massively under or over it but since it can't be done consistently it IS luck. 

I'll go with it being a difficult thing to do for all the reasons already given.  At the same time I'm mostly thinking what's the point?  Other than the possibility of it becoming a carnival act or maybe on some tele talent(?) show the motivation eludes me.  I mean, OK, so now what?

But then I'm a simple person and often the depth of happenings in the world just blow right past me

Last edited by a moderator:
When anybody hits 7x10 at 150 yards I'll retract my statement, almost anybody could hit the odd one at silly range, there is simply no such thing even remotely resembling a pattern at much over 90 yards never mind 155, it's just a random pellet landing on the clay. Sure you have to point massively under or over it but since it can't be done consistently it IS luck. 
Sour Grapes!  :baby:

As Hammie is a AAA shot and has been shooting a very long time I'm going to accept his explanation.  If George could hit it consistently say for 10 shots in a row I will drop Hammie like a hot brick  :D

I am with hammy on this. I have never tried a shot or patterned at that distance as what would the point be. But Logic would dictate exactly what hammy says so like Sian I will keep hammy ..... For now. :)

:lol:   :lol:  

Far from it, I am always the first to gaze in amazement at the scores achieved by so many of the top people on courses that simply defy ordinary human skill but the one thing that is common on these rounds is that each and every bird is within the ballistic remit of the guns/cartridges - sometimes just. 

Over the years I have shot enough Pool stands to know that once you get beyond a certain range/difficulty the best man does not always win. I have watched GD shoot such a stand ten times or more with different shells and techniques only for the pot to go to some chap with an old semi with I kid you not, a sling attached ! 

I don't even know the gentleman but envy only his gun, he could always prove me wrong by hitting 7x10 and walk off with £500 so long as he's prepared to match the bet.

Latest posts

Back