Sunday Sporting Shenanigans - Hunting in packs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

During a sporting shoot this morning I witnessed a top shot miss two single right to left crossing targets (in distance terms station 4 on skeet layout). These targets were the first of a report pair. After missing the second target one of the shooters colleagues spoke out and stated to the trapper that the bird missed was a no Bird, the shooter was duly given this last target again which he duly hit. The no bird excuse given was that the target was lower, had the shooters colleague not challenged the trapper this would gave been a lost target. Having looked at the shoot results this shooter won AA class by a single target.

I was watching this shooter quite carefully (for shooting tips) and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the target trajectory of the clay missed, it was shot at and therefore accepted.

A new target was gifted on the back of this shooters colleague challenging a perfectly fine target.

Disgusting behaviour

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get that crap, I was shooting today as were a few others on here target was driven overhead, every pair came out different 5ft left, centre then 5ft right, not a lot could be done other than get on with it no way could no birds be called as i could never work out the proper trajectory 

I've seen this happen a few times. I usually say that the target looked fine to me. It does not normally change anything but at least they know we are not all stupid.

I witnessed the same yesterday, a very good shot claimed a hit that the scorer marked as a miss.so he amended the score card.

Welcome to the world of "Sporting Shooting! "

I wish I had a pound for every time I'd seen that happen, and lost out because of it!.

As Wylye says, Scorers score, Referees apply the rules. You will never win against cheats if it's allowed to happen.

Yes we host lots of Game shoots for these type of people.

We have to round up the pheasants and put them back into the branches to fly past again !

Try this reply next time matey boy pipes up  " Thank you Sir for your incorrect observation, Scored and lost."

Or better still ignore the comment, mark the card scored and lost and afterwards if questioned point out that you are the referee and would they like you to mark down their appeal to be discussed later!

You may not be popular but you will be right.

As an infrequent "scorer" who is fully aware of his responsibilities when on a stand, I must add that the other Scorers I have come across locally are fully briefed as to his / her course of action(s) in such an instance of a claimed "no bird" and "I hit that", its plain that not every ground is going to be able to source up to 12 CPSA qualified referees each and every shoot day, shooters are therefore entrusted with self regulation to a point.

Their egos must be big if they need to fool themselves that they`re good! I shoot at a few grounds where scores are published for `clay only` days where you mark yourselves,I guess these types win everytime at that level.

Oh,I forgot ,theres no money involved so they wouldn`t be interested I suppose !

:fie:  In my shooting career, I have seen this regularly and its only the "Big Boys" who do it!  I've never seen a C class do it!

p.s. and I could name names! most of them are "important" shooters? :crazy:

Sadly this kind of behaviour is common across many sports, I'm always amazed at the number of qualified referees when watching Football (Soccer) in the Pub.

However, thankfully there is one sport this does not apply too and where those invoved don't bleat when they are caught out: Rugby.

This is because (a) the referee is properly respected and; ( B) noboby actually understands the bloody rules anyway :biggrin:

i did state this happens in a topic not long ago !!!!

why cant we help some of these scorers out by a bit of self policing , i saw a top shot on a charity shoot once where i was competing try to tell the lad a no bird on a simmo pair was established as he hit the first , i had a word and it was pair again nothing to count !!!!

but and a big but on the flip side you all get given a target at times it happens even with the most qualified refs  but that seems to be ok 

Next step, every stand will have a video camera on it and we'll have remote video refs! That'll stop 'em :)  

Don't understand the urge to cheat, must be something deficient in the personality.

Having said that I've been given kills I thought I'd missed [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]dumb enough to question it too [/SIZE](usually 1st of a sim pair) and been denied clays I was pretty sure I'd hit, so swings and roundabouts.

As to the clays not being 'standard', what a load of carp, don't think I've shot even a reg skeet comp where the wind wasn't moving the things all over the place N. Ayrshire the wind comes over the hill behind the high house and goes into a vortex which varies depending on wind strength, Auldgirth the wind funnels through from behind either house and its strength determines what happens to the clays, Westlands the wind swirls and is sometimes totally unpredictable.

Sporting is supposed to be derived from game shooting and in my experience grouse, rabbits, partridge, duck or whatever don't have a set speed and trajectory. If what has been stated is happening then some guns need to grow up or pack up. IMHO

NimbusGB I suspect your comment is tongue in cheek but not difficult to set up with a short rewritable memory so the last 5 or 10 minutes can be reviewed and any disputed breaks saved for review by a panel. Not for the run of the mill shoots but maybe for the majors.

name and shame them...its cheating pure and simple

if a footballer dives to win a penalty and there team wins, its cheating

this is no different

Back