Doug Pinnegar

ICTSF World Sporting

103 posts in this topic

So we're under a week away from the Worlds at Kelmarsh hall. I'm shooting it Sat and Sun at 14:45 I think. 

Personally I'm excited! Any advice for someone that's never shot this event before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember to shoot in front of them ? :lol: 

Only kidding I hope you have a great time and the weather is kind to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im in for the full mashings, currently Fri at 4 pm sat am and pm and sunday, Ringing the Cpsa mon to see if i can swapt from sat/sun to thurs Fri as im off all week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

So we're under a week away from the Worlds at Kelmarsh hall. I'm shooting it Sat and Sun at 14:45 I think. 

Personally I'm excited! Any advice for someone that's never shot this event before? 

just enjoy it as much as possible.  Take each stand as it comes and if you have a bad one, forget it and move on.  I always get nervous at events like this but the more you do them the easier it gets!  Don't put too much pressure on yourself, I used to have a score in mind that I would like to get but if I didn't reach that I would be down for days after so now I go with the intention of enjoying myself, meeting a few friends and shooting to the best of my ability.  

There will no doubt be some stands that suit you and some that don't so make sure of the ones you can hit and do your best on the others.  It's always a good chance to watch some of the "big boys/girls" shoot and hopefully pick up some tips.

Good luck, take plenty of water to keep hydrated and enjoy. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any loss might as well be last year, it aint over till the very last

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking forward to it now I'm just dreading it 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sian said:

Was looking forward to it now I'm just dreading it 😔

Never dread it enjoy it and do your best... remember number one is enjoyment.  We all want to do well in competitions but ... think about this there are some going into the event EXPECTING to do well if they have a bad stand then they are under pressure! Concentrate and shoot as well as you know you can, if you do that then you can walk away feeling good within yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

Never dread it enjoy it and do your best... remember number one is enjoyment.  We all want to do well in competitions but ... think about this there are some going into the event EXPECTING to do well if they have a bad stand then they are under pressure! Concentrate and shoot as well as you know you can, if you do that then you can walk away feeling good within yourself.

All good advice but I can't do my best, I can only do as well as an ill fitting gun will allow used by someone who is a creature of habit and doesn't do well with change albeit temporary.  I've put 175 through it today, 75 practise and 100 comp - no good.  Maybe if I had more time to adapt who knows.  Frustratingly I can't get the comb high enough and I'm seeing things differently   It's heavier, stiffer and I feel awkward shooting it.  I'll stop now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sian said:

All good advice but I can't do my best, I can only do as well as an ill fitting gun will allow used by someone who is a creature of habit and doesn't do well with change albeit temporary.  I've put 175 through it today, 75 practise and 100 comp - no good.  Maybe if I had more time to adapt who knows.  Frustratingly I can't get the comb high enough and I'm seeing things differently   It's heavier, stiffer and I feel awkward shooting it.  I'll stop now.

Take a deep breath and look forward :)  One thing though don't over shoot, just my opinion, I really think you should be conservative and shoot the same number of targets you will shoot in one day in competition ... tiredness is insidious and you will not shoot well when tired... just my opinion. Whatever just go out there and take the jackets of them !  You know very recently I had the great fortune to shoot with an Olympic champion, had to get this in :) ,  anyway I had not shot a round of FO in a year but I asked him if he had time to and he said yes. So just the the two of us, I was in the Olympic final at the time :lol: , me on one him on three. I just shouldered my gun and concentrated for all the world to see the target... I did alright with a 22 :) I  had a nice bit of a chat with Peter after the round and to cut short the most encouraging thing was he told me to be more confident in my ability I had shot well and that is not luck . My advice... you do the same  concentrate and be confident I am sure you will do well .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jwpzx9r said:

Take a deep breath and look forward :)  One thing though don't over shoot, just my opinion, I really think you should be conservative and shoot the same number of targets you will shoot in one day in competition ... tiredness is insidious and you will not shoot well when tired... just my opinion. Whatever just go out there and take the jackets of them !  You know very recently I had the great fortune to shoot with an Olympic champion, had to get this in :) ,  anyway I had not shot a round of FO in a year but I asked him if he had time to and he said yes. So just the the two of us, I was in the Olympic final at the time :lol: , me on one him on three. I just shouldered my gun and concentrated for all the world to see the target... I did alright with a 22 :) I  had a nice bit of a chat with Peter after the round and to cut short the most encouraging thing was he told me to be more confident in my ability I had shot well and that is not luck . My advice... you do the same  concentrate and be confident I am sure you will do well .

 

I won't be overshooting, it's 200 per day x 2 days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sian said:

I won't be overshooting, it's 200 per day x 2 days.  

That is a lot of shooting ! Enjoy :) 

 

edit

To be honest though 200 targets a day competition wise is a huge number really, I can understand why you train on a high target count .

Edited by jwpzx9r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sian said:

I won't be overshooting, it's 200 per day x 2 days.  

@Sian I thought it was 100 birds per day for two days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also CPSA 100 esp and 100 str for the full house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently it is now going to be re-named The European English Sporting being as we are now not good enough to compete with America  & France .

I did ask my American friends if they would be visiting after the Hungarian FITASC , but it isn't an important enough event for them  + being away from home for long periods of time can be a drain on resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody found any scores from today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Anybody found any scores from today?

Starts tomorrow..

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do i seem too keen?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interviews CPSA are posting on Facebook mention it being a firm course. Anyone here shoot it today? How'd you find it? 

Any big scores in yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot the blue course today and it was tough but in my humble opinion a good and challenging shoot. When I left at about 2.15 Ben H was winning the blue on mid eighties.

I shot 71 which was the highest on our squad of I think all A class shooters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot the red,was outclassed and finished on 61, heard Digweed was 87, found it very firm,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Todays scores are on CPSA website

Looking very low for all but the gods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot blue today and finished on 80 which I felt was 5 light for me but I was still happy after looking at the scores!

Red looks a tad easier by the scores but we'll see tomorrow!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate of mine shot the blue course and sportrap today. His review was the blue was overly tough and sportrap was a shambles, wrong birds being sent, refs asking shooters if they hit it, alsorts of calamities. Out of his squad of 6, he expects at least 4 of them not to come back tomorrow as they were so down beaten by the targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's rare to hear RF say a stand was too tough and hint the rest wasn't much nicer. There are only two hard jobs with course setting; getting variety (not that hard) and getting the course difficulty balance correct. Any tw*t in a hat can set an overly hard course. It is selfish and requires no ability. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My view on what i have seen,

The 20% of targets i get (only been in B a month)80% of losses on poplated 80% of the course.

The STr looks berserk and the pool at that end must have a massive prize.

The Cpsa pool is more like it for the lesser shooters all fair with one real test to sort out the money lads,

I think i saw Carl Bloxham finish on a 65 when i looked at scores

Just feels like the whole shoot was solely geared to get a champ.

If it were on next year i would spend my money elsewhere.

Edited by Rupert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now