Trap Shooters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Had a look at the trap section on here, seems to be very little activity. So where have all the trap shooters gone? 

Had a look at the trap section on here, seems to be very little activity. So where have all the trap shooters gone? 
There’s lots of trap shooters about but they don’t often bother with this website. I must admit I only look at the ‘General Shooting Discussion’ section and there’s not too much being posted there these days. 

Those trap shooters interested in online discussion are usually found on https://www.trapshooters.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess trap is now a minority game. In my county we don’t even have a single trap layout now. 
let’s face it, you can set up a straw bale sporting shoot almost anywhere, to set up trap layout is something else, even DTL.

Anyway nice to hear that I’m not totally on my own.

I look in sometimes Les, but that's about it. 
So it’s just old timers mate? You’re even older than I am Phil.😂😂😂

Good to hear from you mate. By the way, I passed on the C3, now got a 95 mk38 grd3.

I guess trap is now a minority game. In my county we don’t even have a single trap layout now. 
let’s face it, you can set up a straw bale sporting shoot almost anywhere, to set up trap layout is something else, even DTL.

Anyway nice to hear that I’m not totally on my own.
Trap shooting will never have the pull of sporting. It’s a niche discipline that appeals to the dedicated. That’s not to say numbers are dwindling. Registered events are getting decent entries despite the high cost of living. The big ticket events are just as popular as they’ve always been. The fast trap scene’s doing well too with some very talented and committed young competitors coming through.

Trap shooting will never have the pull of sporting. It’s a niche discipline that appeals to the dedicated. That’s not to say numbers are dwindling. Registered events are getting decent entries despite the high cost of living. The big ticket events are just as popular as they’ve always been. The fast trap scene’s doing well too with some very talented and committed young competitors coming through.
Well Jan, I’ve been out of the game for a number of years, but I decided to come back. 
I won’t be shooting any comps though, just banging away for a bit of fun. Good to hear that young people are still getting into trap. 👍

Les, welcome back.  I think you summed it up by saying "there are no Trap layouts in my County now" . As Jan pointed out, ESP in its many forms, has taken over. Even NWSS Sealand has a compak layout on a Saturday,  which is on the Trench layout. It is proving more popular than the Trap disciplines. The usual group of Trappies that were there EVERY Saturday seemed to have dwindled, in fact a few weeks ago I was sat on 'their' table, having my lunch. Something I would not have dared to do some 3/4 years ago     😂  The lack of grounds with any form of Trap layout or, dare I say, even a skeet layout, has not helped the situation. 

Les, welcome back.  I think you summed it up by saying "there are no Trap layouts in my County now" . As Jan pointed out, ESP in its many forms, has taken over. Even NWSS Sealand has a compak layout on a Saturday,  which is on the Trench layout. It is proving more popular than the Trap disciplines. The usual group of Trappies that were there EVERY Saturday seemed to have dwindled, in fact a few weeks ago I was sat on 'their' table, having my lunch. Something I would not have dared to do some 3/4 years ago     😂  The lack of grounds with any form of Trap layout or, dare I say, even a skeet layout, has not helped the situation. 
Hi Wes, it does seem like sporting is the in thing these days mate. Even when you go to a gun shop now, there seem to be very few trap guns on the racks. 
My nearest trap ground is only about half an hour away in Devon actually , but it’s only DTL and to be honest the ground is a total dump. Other than that I have to travel at least an hour and a half, sometimes more, right up into Somerset to shoot fast trap. 
We do have a very good sporting ground not too far from me, but I’m just not into wellies and mud. 😂

Well Jan, I’ve been out of the game for a number of years, but I decided to come back. 
I won’t be shooting any comps though, just banging away for a bit of fun. Good to hear that young people are still getting into trap. 👍
It’s certainly the case that trap has its heartland in the north, particularly Yorkshire and Lancashire. My local ground has domestic and fast trap and it’s always busy. It’s skeet here that’s struggling. There’s plenty of keen skeet shooters, they just don’t support county and regional events.

It’s certainly the case that trap has its heartland in the north, particularly Yorkshire and Lancashire. My local ground has domestic and fast trap and it’s always busy. It’s skeet here that’s struggling. There’s plenty of keen skeet shooters, they just don’t support county and regional events.
Yes I know what you mean about the north, always was like that. Mind you when I started shooting trap back in the 80’s when I lived in London, I had four grounds that shot trap within less than an hour from me. Of those four only one still has trap as far as I know, in fact  two of them have closed down I believe. 
My local ground down here was Southern Counties, that closed in about 2015. 
A sad state of affairs !!! 

Yes I know what you mean about the north, always was like that. Mind you when I started shooting trap back in the 80’s when I lived in London, I had four grounds that shot trap within less than an hour from me. Of those four only one still has trap as far as I know, in fact  two of them have closed down I believe. 
My local ground down here was Southern Counties, that closed in about 2015. 
A sad state of affairs !!! 
Several grounds in that neck of the woods. NCSC, Bisley GC, Mayland and District GC, Dartford SG. All host DTL, I think Dartford has ABT too.

Several grounds in that neck of the woods. NCSC, Bisley GC, Mayland and District GC, Dartford SG. All host DTL, I think Dartford has ABT too.
Yes I think you are right, down here in Dorset we have zero trap shooting now. 

Since Southern Counties SG closed I don’t think there’s much of anything in Dorset. It was the same deal when I lived in Northamptonshire. It’s a far cry from my current neck of the woods. There’s 15 affiliated grounds in Yorkshire of which 6 host trap.

And I think you have a poor choice in Sporting grounds too if you need wellies. I can't remember when I last wore wellies at a clay shoot. Not exactly carpet slippers, but certainly walking boots or shoes.   😉

Since Southern Counties SG closed I don’t think there’s much of anything in Dorset. It was the same deal when I lived in Northamptonshire. It’s a far cry from my current neck of the woods. There’s 15 affiliated grounds in Yorkshire of which 6 host trap.
You’re very lucky! The only real ground we have left in Dorset is Purbeck. They have no trap there and I think the skeet range is finished too. Very sad. 

And I think you have a poor choice in Sporting grounds too if you need wellies. I can't remember when I last wore wellies at a clay shoot. Not exactly carpet slippers, but certainly walking boots or shoes.   😉
The only shooting ground we have left is Purbeck. A few straw balers and that’s it.

You’re very lucky! The only real ground we have left in Dorset is Purbeck. They have no trap there and I think the skeet range is finished too. Very sad. 

The only shooting ground we have left is Purbeck. A few straw balers and that’s it.
Yer need to move North  !

IMG-20221204-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0027.jpg

westley said:
Yer need to move North  !

IMG-20221204-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20221204-WA0027.jpg
Bloody ell ! I have just managed that totally unaided.........Will, take note  !

obviously Beverley and Rufforth, Hazelbank do but you just cant turn up and use it. Park Lodge have the layouts but they never seem to be working. Cant think of any others after that.

Latest posts

Back