gun fit ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

anyone watched the very talented joeseph fanizzi  shooting sporting clays on youtube ?       he shoots a semi auto and his cheek dose not touch the stock , in fact his chin only just touches it occasionally             he's a great young talent  , but what happened to conventional  gun fit ?  

As long as its repeatable we can learn any site picture.  Big advantage seeing around the gun.  I couldn't do it id have no idea where the gun was shooting.  Iv seen a few very good shots  with low combs  and very soft mounts  change when they go though a bad patch. Confidence plays a big part in this game 

I have watched him a few times, I find his whole routine fascinating and uncomfortable to watch at the same time. I had a gun with too low a comb and trying to place the butt in the right place without the cheek connection was always hit and miss.

I have watched him a few times, I find his whole routine fascinating and uncomfortable to watch at the same time. I had a gun with too low a comb and trying to place the butt in the right place without the cheek connection was always hit and miss.
his routine  pre shot   mmmm i find it annoying to watch repeatedly  ,  but that's just me !   cant fault his skillset though !! 

I expect he will be fine assuming nothing gets in the way of that fidgeting. Any break in that routine however and he will be back to the drawning board and end up using the comb as a reference like the rest of us.

I can't explain it but its all a bit to 'anal' for a fun day out.

I'm not very keen of his control of the gun when reloading.

end up using the comb as a reference like the rest of us.
Not sure about that. He's not the only sporting clays shot to have his line of sight that far above the rib or to have little or no contact between the cheek and stock. They find pointing easier and gain an almost unobstructed view of the target, so the reference is the relationship between the eyes and the barrel/rib rather than the comb.

That makes sense but its still a case of repetition and being able to find a consistent relationship between his barrel and the eye position - or having great eyes to account for any variations in that relationship.  I get what you say about 'pointing' being easy and the unobstructed view but alot of that preamble is preprogramming the gun movement into his head so I don't think the high mount makes much (real) difference.  He relies on a method which is fine - particularly when you are young - but its likely to break down to some degree when questions creep into his head and/or body & muscles etc.

I think its very much an exception to the norm. In saying this I am mindful of the recent posts here regarding the low second hand value sof CG Impact (high rib) guns.

If you watch performing trick shooters you'll see that most of them do not even shoulder the gun.  They relate to the gun the same as swinging a racket or a bat.  But I've never seen any shoot anything but close targets consistently.  Doesn't mean they maybe can't hit distant targets - I just haven't seen it.

There are those that point a shotgun just as they would with their finger and those that aim. Fanizzi, like most top shots, is very obviously a pointer, and one thing the pointers can often do is shoot from the hip almost as well as from the shoulder. It's a vision thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a link ?

Renato Lamera, OT shooter, coach and trick shooter.......comb, what comb

Got a link ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are those that point a shotgun just as they would with their finger and those that aim. Fanizzi, like most top shots, is very obviously a pointer, and one thing the pointers can often do is shoot from the hip almost as well as from the shoulder. It's a vision thing.
I knew a Welsh shooter (sadly no longer with us) that, as his party piece, he would shoot trap from the hip. Absolutely powder the first 5 clays, then turn the gun upside down and powder the next five.

Thankyou to those that put these up, the first guy doing the "trick" shooting , wow that some skill there, how ever totally dis agree with spinning the gun around in the air, even with safety on, if it had hit the deck/mis catch or similar and safety was faulty some one could get seriously injured , in my books thats really bad form.

as for the routine others go through it wouldnt bother me, each to his own and good luck to them, I would be checking out hold position etc ready for my attempt.

If anyone is interested in some seriously good trick shooting check out "Gould brothers" on YouTube, they usually use Winchester pump actions, in fact put that in your search for full effect as pumps are for real men, autos are for pussy cats.....🤣🤣🤣

Auto owners ....

Please note smiley emoji things before you take offence 😁👍

I had the pleasure of meeting young Joseph when he was over for the World FITASC in 2019. He finished 4th overall at the British GP and the following week 7th overall at the Worlds 4 targets off high gun, just prior to his 16th birthday and was overall runner up at the World Sporting later that year. With 3 world junior titles already he is up there with any junior I have seen in last 25 years of reffing FITASC, not just for shooting ability but for his manners and humility. 

Regards

Leigh

If you watch performing trick shooters you'll see that most of them do not even shoulder the gun.  They relate to the gun the same as swinging a racket or a bat.  But I've never seen any shoot anything but close targets consistently.  Doesn't mean they maybe can't hit distant targets - I just haven't seen it.
Might want to check out Ed Solomons shooting 45+ yard battues from the hip with alarming regularity. Some with gun overhead too and from multiple stands and grounds too! 

I knew a Welsh shooter (sadly no longer with us) that, as his party piece, he would shoot trap from the hip. Absolutely powder the first 5 clays, then turn the gun upside down and powder the next five.
My introduction to clay shooting was via Mickey Rouse. He gave a demo shooting from the hip. All sim pairs from two traps about 16 yards out. A teal and an incoming, quartering R-L looper. Not only did he dust them, he broke many pairs with a single shot, then broke the biggest piece with the second barrel. Out of forty or so targets, he missed only one. To be fair, he’s no spring chicken, so think he could be forgiven that one miss to age and it only being for fun. He’s still a very competitive shot

Latest posts

Back