Your actual CPSA class...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you shoot Orston shooting ground and get in A class you should not have problems elsewhere unless you overlead everything 

even the best boys sometimes have problems ,one world champion was only 7 clays in front of an old boy with no legs once in an England selection shoot there 

Deershooter 
I would imagine this World Champion has shot a lot of targets at a lot of grounds not just a few at one ground which is source of the OP question,

Last edited by a moderator:
I've felt their registered targets are sometimes a tad friendly too so kind of wish I'd shot there today, it's the close or easily hittable birds that do my head in as I don't really enjoy shooting them or having to concentrate for them. 

All said in response to the OP, it's a fact that almost every target thrown anywhere is going to be between 10-70 yards away, there are only so many angles, there are only so many speeds, so many types of targets etc, etc; in my opinion it isn't just the specific level of difficulty but ones familiarity with a ground. You can hit a sixty yard bird somewhere because you happen to be in your comfort zone yet a similar bird on unfamiliar ground with strange faces all round may look daunting, this is a factual mental obstacle. 

Other peoples scores can only ever be a useful guide, not absolutes because even the better shots can produce scores well below their best or even regular efforts.
a long 60 yarder is sometimes easier than one at 20ft. Bigger pattern, more time, bigger pellets. You don't often have the luxury of any of that on close stuff. You have to shoot as many different grounds as is possible. How many times do you see AA scores lower than C.

shoot Horne all the time you will be in AA easily. Same person at Westfield B C class scores.

Take Churchills, average to close distance but highly technical all the birds there to trip you up. Don't think it's ever been straighted. More or less all in classes where they should be. It's balanced. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you just need to get round more grounds.  

I shoot quite well at Churchills probably because I'm a member and practice there.  It took me a few goes at Southdown and Owls Lodge before I got my head round the place.

When I shot at Four Counties a few weeks a go for the first time in years I struggled partly because I was unfamiliar with the terrain; landmarks such as banks, trees etc which I know well at EJC, Southdown etc.

a long 60 yarder is sometimes easier than one at 20ft. Bigger pattern, more time, bigger pellets. You don't often have the luxury of any of that on close stuff. You have to shoot as many different grounds as is possible. How many times do you see AA scores lower than C.

shoot Horne all the time you will be in AA easily. Same person at Westfield B C class scores.

Take Churchills, average to close distance but highly technical all the birds there to trip you up. Don't think it's ever been straighted. More or less all in classes where they should be. It's balanced. 
Classes look more sensible because it's December too. Everybody is on a new classification..

Back