Your actual CPSA class...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilbo Fraggins

It seems to me that the CPSA class system doesn't reflect someone's true class.

Take myself, joined CPSA 6 months ago, I think I shot most of my ESP registered shoots at Greenfields my local shoot. A few 70's and if I can recall a 82, 83, 85

I shot once at Southdown where I am not used to and shot a 60 something....managed to scrape into A class because of my local shoot, (knowing the birds I presume)

Went to E J Churchills today where I've never shot before and embarrassed myself with a 60 in A class!

Kevin H who I also see at canterbury shot a 91 at Churchills today as he does at Canterbury so is a true AA shooter.

Me shooting 60 is C class shooting.  so it seems to me that if you ask someone what class they are you should also know how many different shoots they shot.

eg..

A - 2 ( A class scores over 2 shoots)

B - 9 ( B class scores from 9 different shoots)

I would say the B class shooter above is a true B class shooter as he has shot his B class scores at 9 different shoots and a wider veriety of targets)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Churchills today was a really interesting but tricky shoot , nothing further away than 35 to 40 yards but really tricky lines and angles that the wind never really helped .

to get a true average on Cpsa you really do need to travel around loads of different grounds then the classes do actually work.

Today was quite tough, so don't worry and we all have the odd bad day. Doesn't mean you can't shoot. But I agree, an average should be from at least 5 shoots at at least 3 grounds. Most shooters do this, so it works well for the majority. 

Would lack of experience on different targets or the length of time you have been shooting be a factor?

I shot on a squad at High lodge this year. One chap (nice bloke) was absolutely gutted. He always shoots well at his local ground, never shot so bad he said. The fact he was unable to read the targets was a major factor in his performance. I hope he reflected on his day and learnt from it.

They are all the same size, just presented differently wherever you go.

Also some grounds suit different people to a certain degree - just focus on the targets

I was going to use the "oh it must have been a hard shoot today that's why I shot like mr Magoo"  until I saw Kevin H's score that's what made me think it has to be the shooter not the ground.

Would lack of experience on different targets or the length of time you have been shooting be a factor?
Yes....I knew there was an excuse!

oh and it was windy and I parked my car at an odd angle in the car park. Point taken though..

I think Churchills today was a really interesting but tricky shoot , nothing further away than 35 to 40 yards but really tricky lines and angles that the wind never really helped .

to get a true average on Cpsa you really do need to travel around loads of different grounds then the classes do actually work.
Steve can you explain what the slow crosser was doing and what it needed because I only managed one and don't know what I did wrong.  I do think I was starting to measure it  - stand before the ones on skeet layouts.

Good points but having an additional 'number of grounds' rating is never going to catch on. Far too complicated. The only way is to have a layout rating. So a softer ground doesn't push up your rating.

I am in A at my local club  ( club ranking system ) but until 10 days ago I was C with the CPSA. Same reasons, frequent shoots, familiar ground, limited target variations.

but all that being said .... The classification system sort of works for those that travel around and for you your classification in A appears to be suited to your capabilities at your home ground. If you can get 80's at Greenfields you should be able to match it at other grounds. Try Horne and Southdown.

Didn't shoot Churchills so can't comment. 

I can advocate shooting as many different grounds as you. As Steve says above seeing new presentations and building up a knowledge of kill points with hold points makes a huge difference. 

Also don't worry about one score or how others shoot. 

Enjoy. 

Judging by the moaning and groaning by a cheerless gang of three I had the misfortune to follow on a number of stands it was tweaked a tad harder than they as regulars had gotten used too. 

Echo the get out and about comments, 6 months is very short period in which to gain much experience and having kept to one ground I feel this day was awaiting you. There's a huge amount of variation in grounds and course setters presentations some we read well others mystify you're on a long journey, don't beat yourself up about the score, but do try and get around a lot more.

This post is the whole reason why a sporting average should be worked out on a minimum of 500 targets with no more than 200 from the same ground !!

I took a couple of guys round today and thought it was a good round- much more what I would call registered standard targets. I don't go there often, love the ground/staff but the targets mid week are a bit too corporate normally.

today was spot on.

I took a couple of guys round today and thought it was a good round- much more what I would call registered standard targets. I don't go there often, love the ground/staff but the targets mid week are a bit too corporate normally.

today was spot on.
I've felt their registered targets are sometimes a tad friendly too so kind of wish I'd shot there today, it's the close or easily hittable birds that do my head in as I don't really enjoy shooting them or having to concentrate for them. 

All said in response to the OP, it's a fact that almost every target thrown anywhere is going to be between 10-70 yards away, there are only so many angles, there are only so many speeds, so many types of targets etc, etc; in my opinion it isn't just the specific level of difficulty but ones familiarity with a ground. You can hit a sixty yard bird somewhere because you happen to be in your comfort zone yet a similar bird on unfamiliar ground with strange faces all round may look daunting, this is a factual mental obstacle. 

Other peoples scores can only ever be a useful guide, not absolutes because even the better shots can produce scores well below their best or even regular efforts.

good points and comments above , yes I shoot mainly at one ground , I have scraped  into a class ,  but when I shoot other grounds  I struggle , different squad mates  targets angles and distances ,  I think the cpsa averages  don't reflect your true ability  ,  question is how do we improve the system ? 

good points and comments above , yes I shoot mainly at one ground , I have scraped  into a class ,  but when I shoot other grounds  I struggle , different squad mates  targets angles and distances ,  I think the cpsa averages  don't reflect your true ability  ,  question is how do we improve the system ? 
Well, what are we trying to improve? This is a problem only for somebody who isn't really joining in with the system. If somebody shoots at one or two grounds and ends up in an overly high class, it doesn't affect anybody else. (It's not like being in C when you should be A, so depriving people of prize money). My message to these people is don't kid yourself that you have been accurately assessed for the high class. If you do start to visit other grounds, your average will fall back and a lower classification will come to you. Or, you will get better for the experience and stay in the class!

If you shoot Orston shooting ground and get in A class you should not have problems elsewhere unless you overlead everything 

even the best boys sometimes have problems ,one world champion was only 7 clays in front of an old boy with no legs once in an England selection shoot there 

Deershooter 

There is a WORLD of difference between them scores.  :lol: :wink:

even the best boys sometimes have problems ,one world champion was only 7 clays in front of an old boy with no legs once in an England selection shoot there 

Deershooter 
...and then you both shot the second stand... :p

Just had a thought...I normally shoot stands with 10 targets and have a mindset that I hope I only miss  2 birds so should end up around 80 hopefully. Also I and maybe other shooters might need a couple of shots to work out where the kill point is ( fine if you have 10 on a stand as you have 8 shots left)
At Churchill's and Southdown and maybe others you mostly have 8 on a stand so take a couple of shots to take your bearings and you have only 6 shots left....so miss a couple on each stand and you are shooting in the 70's.
`make sense or am I clutching at straws?

Just had a thought...I normally shoot stands with 10 targets and have a mindset that I hope I only miss  2 birds so should end up around 80 hopefully. Also I and maybe other shooters might need a couple of shots to work out where the kill point is ( fine if you have 10 on a stand as you have 8 shots left)
At Churchill's and Southdown and maybe others you mostly have 8 on a stand so take a couple of shots to take your bearings and you have only 6 shots left....so miss a couple on each stand and you are shooting in the 70's.
`make sense or am I clutching at straws?

Regardless, you need to go for all of them. Always the first two are your focus, as this is the work you put in before you get in the cage. You need a total plan of how you will stand, hold point, visual hold point, what the targets are really doing and where they are. You can't have a test pair, they all count..

Shoot some sportrap if available. It's very good for shot planning. 

Back