World Sporting, Southdown 25/03/2012

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuta

Had a fantastic day at Southdown yesterday, who hosted their first (?) 'World Sporting' event. (Only heard about it last knockings, so big question mark over their advertising!)

As Matt has already mentioned elsewhere, you can't beat shooting in the sunshine, especially when you add good company to the mix. I met up with 'Field and Clay' and also bumped into an old friend who I hadn't seen in some time, who joined us for the round.

It was my first time shooting a 'World Sporting' event and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The registration was simple and pain free and the format was thoroughly explained by the chap who's concept it was (sorry, don't know his name!) who remained on hand throughout the event, talking to shooters at the club house.

Apologies to those who already know, or have shot previous events for the following…..but for those who don't, or haven't………….

I found the concept brought something new and fresh to ESP, it was 100 targets shot over 12 stands which were either the traditional 4 or 5 pairs (O/R or Simo) or stands consisting of 3 traps, where you shot at combinations of A,B or C targets (like a mini compact)

The target presentation was (in my opinion) fantastic, no gimme's, but something for everyone, including some good challenging targets that put a smile on your face when you hit them, and a sense of achievement if you hit them consistently; a real Southdown at it's best, sort of day - rabbits, teal, quartering, trap, chondel, 50yd crossers, the whole 9 yards!

Their classification/handicap system seems to be pitched about right too……..the 'raw' scores ran from 31 - 95, once the handicap system was applied then 61 - 107. Still a broad spread, however if you discounted the top 5 and bottom 2 (less than 10% of competitors) the scores with handicap were 80 - 103.

As I mentioned before, I met up with 'Field and Clay' who, not only is a bloody nice bloke, but turns out to be one of those shooting instructor chaps, who clearly knows what he's talking about, has the patience of a Saint and can shoot as well - he kept me on the straight and narrow throughout the round and I carded my best ever score at Southdown.

Anyway sorry to dribble on, however, as you've probably guessed, I really enjoyed myself and felt the need to share!

If you've lasted this long, thanks for reading!!

Scuta

Enjoyable day had by all i think, went for a blast with the old man for the first time in ages. Great range of targets and presentation, shot an 88 - although this means i have a handycap of 0 now - DOH!

I agree Scuta, it is a brilliant concept which, in my opinion, brings something fresh to a sporting layout.

I used to shoot it at Newbold when Mark first started World Sporting. Unfortunately I don't think he got the entries that he needed to make

it feasable so it is no longer shot at that ground.

Enjoyable day had by all i think, went for a blast with the old man for the first time in ages. Great range of targets and presentation, shot an 88 - although this means i have a handycap of 0 now - DOH!
Hi Steve glad you enjoyed it, you ended up on 0 for the day but as your true score is 88 you are on + 2 for next event.

Mark

Thanks Scuta

Good to meet you and guess it was you who mentioned this forum, will contact owner as you sugested.

See you again soon

Mark

Thanks Scuta

Good to meet you and guess it was you who mentioned this forum, will contact owner as you sugested.

See you again soon

Mark
Yep, 'twas me! The devilishly handsome one, that is - the big, ugly, lumbering oaf was Field and Clay!!!! :lol: :.: :.:

MarkO twas great to chat at Southdown and yes a good shoot and format.

Scuttler - I thought what a decent sort of chap you were, now I'm having second thoughts.

Hi Scuta and Field and Clay glad you enjoyed the event .We are planning to do a full 12 stand super sporting in the future.Please say hello next time you see me at the shoot.

Shaun P

Hi Scuta and Field and Clay glad you enjoyed the event .We are planning to do a full 12 stand super sporting in the future.Please say hello next time you see me at the shoot.

Shaun P
Hi Shaun,

Good to meet you today, let us know when the Super Sporting is on as it's a format I love :)

Jon.

Sounds like an excellent concept - wish Southdown was nearer to me - to change the format and have different combinations of birds on the same stand. Glad you enjoyed your day Scuta

Tim

Hi Jon

It was good to meet you sorry I couldnt have a chat. I was flat out all day.

We are planning to do a full 12stand super sporting later on in the year will let you now the date .

Shaun P

Latest posts

Back