World Sporting Handicaps

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsLad

So trawling the interweb this morning I found a website called worldsporting.net. It goes on about handicaps for shoots working on a 90 ex 100 system. As with CPSA you need 3 scores submitted to get a true handicap but your handicap is worked out weekly instead of half yearly which is what I believe the CPSA do. Scratch high gun gets the main prize but also a handicap high gun gets a prize. Prizes and size of prizes is up to the ground where the shoot takes place. I thought this seemed quite a fair system so looked at the calendar of events with an inkling to sign up for it and noticed only 1 this year at Orston in June. So if I join it would take me 3 years to get a true handicap at 1 event a year.

So is this a system that started a few years ago and didn't take off? Or has it just declined with people wanting to shoot CPSA events? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Orston has a World Sporting shoot every month. Check out their website as well as the W'S one. I used to shoot it, and intend to restart soon, and am still a WS member. 

I enjoy the Orston shoots. Hard but fair.

It costs you nothing to sign up - do it on line or at Orston. Give it a go!

Thanks Phil I might do. Just wish the ground was a bit closer than 1.5 hrs away. Is Orston the only ground to shoot the WS handicap system?

Not sure, think so. Does the WS website not say. I know it's a difficult one to find your way around...PIA! 

Fixtures just say Orston in June. Well it might be worth joining up anyway. Not so bad a trip once a month and from what I've heard it's a very nice ground to shoot at. Looks extremely flat though, ..

Fixtures just say Orston in June. Well it might be worth joining up anyway. Not so bad a trip once a month and from what I've heard it's a very nice ground to shoot at. Looks extremely flat though, ..
​they did have one at southdown once but never again.

i imagine that it in someway affects the ground owners profits so it has not been popular,i joined in 2012 with the hope there may have been more to come down south but they have been sending me emails for over 3 years now and always Orstonand nowt else.

Ooh class topic again I like it.

Most know my view on classes but for the uninitiated there bollix.

So high gun gets a prize for winning and so he or indeed she should cos they did better than the rest BUT handicap high gun gets one, what the chuff ? Theoretically handicap high gun bloke could be tenth place so if I was overall second and got begger all I would not be best pleased. 

Handicap high gun what a load of tosh. 

The handicap system in golf works ips and this system seems much like that one. I'm not saying shooting should be the same as golf mind. But I have heard ESP called golf for rednecks  ;) . As to prizes I've heard heard of some where high gun and first in class get prizes but others pay down to 3rd in class and maybe lower.

I looked back through Orstons results for the last handicap shoot and someone won on 116 with handicap and scratch high gun was 88. So if if the handicap system is based on 90 ex 100 and the handicap gets you to that 90 score from your average the handicap winner must of had a handicap of at least 29 (basing this on scratch prize better than handicap prize). This would suggest they put 3 cards in at 61 (average) and then shoot an 87 with the 29 on top to get the 118. i obviously wasn't there and don't know the actual scores people shot and their handicaps I'm just basing this on assumption from the posted 2 scores on the results page. You might expect with handicap between 95-100 as someone had a good day hitting 7 or 8 more than normal but 29 extra!

Eh. ?

My head hurts too much math for me   :)

The handicap system in golf works ips and this system seems much like that one. I'm not saying shooting should be the same as golf mind. But I have heard ESP called golf for rednecks  ;) . As to prizes I've heard heard of some where high gun and first in class get prizes but others pay down to 3rd in class and maybe lower.

I looked back through Orstons results for the last handicap shoot and someone won on 116 with handicap and scratch high gun was 88. So if if the handicap system is based on 90 ex 100 and the handicap gets you to that 90 score from your average the handicap winner must of had a handicap of at least 29 (basing this on scratch prize better than handicap prize). This would suggest they put 3 cards in at 61 (average) and then shoot an 87 with the 29 on top to get the 118. i obviously wasn't there and don't know the actual scores people shot and their handicaps I'm just basing this on assumption from the posted 2 scores on the results page. You might expect with handicap between 95-100 as someone had a good day hitting 7 or 8 more than normal but 29 extra!
​Er..does that include taking away the number you first thought of and then adding the V.A.T. ?

I shoot nearly all the world sporting events held at Orston Shooting Ground it puts all shooters on a level playing field . A C class shooter might have a 30 handicap this means that 30 points will be added to your score at the end of the event so shoot a 74 score your handicapped score is 104 normally you need to score 101 to get a pull in the money ( depending on number of shooters .

The price is £35 no birds only £5 pay back from all shooters  £50 goes to high gun (scratch no handicap ) then £50 for the high gun with handicap then £25 for each place behind 1st  handicap shooter ,until the money has been used up ie 100 shooters the prizes would be 

£50 high gun 

£50 high gun with handicap

16 places @£25 

Some times first and second is payed out in each class depending on entery along with the places 

Deershooter

there are ways to share and  encourage shooting, but not by sharing out money,
a handicap system, and/or a score as a percentage of high score, or whatever , is good at club level, no money, but a bit of encouragement , maybe a printed certificate`, or just a record to show members,,

seems once money is involved,, horns grow. 

Still don't see why a handicap shooter can win with a net score less than someone else ????

I don't win anything very often these days but I would rather the occasional win from a good score than a win by default.

Still don't see why a handicap shooter can win with a net score less than someone else ????

I don't win anything very often these days but I would rather the occasional win from a good score than a win by default.
Scratch high gun 88 and handicap 116 ips. so someone's put 3 cards in at a 60 average then gone out and shot a blinder. So if they had a 30 handicap they shot 86 scratch plus 30 = 116.

​What was the 'scratch prize' then,..................Flea Powder ?        :lol:

Scratch high gun 88 and handicap 116 ips. so someone's put 3 cards in at a 60 average then gone out and shot a blinder. So if they had a 30 handicap they shot 86 scratch plus 30 = 116.
So you spend £140 to win £50 sandbagging don't happen with this check the world sporting scores 

So you spend £140 to win £50 sandbagging don't happen with this check the world sporting scores 
Is there a more detailed score sheet deershooter? Only one I saw just listed the top of each class and handicap winner with their scores. Didn't list all entrants with their scratch and handicaps.

Latest posts

Back