Why Is Sporting Shot From Within A Cage?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy S

I have often wondered this, I did think that it was for safety reasons loaded gun  moving to shoot to different targets etc. but as I can shoot trap of it various kinds and have my gun loaded, when stood on the line with upto 5 others i don't know think its this, becides if I was to shoot FITASC Sporting then I'm not stood in any cages only a hoop on the ground.

Tried a brief search on the web but did not find much. So anyone really know?

I am speculating with this as my guess!

With any of the trap and skeet disciplines it is pretty obvious in which direction one is supposed to shoot.

I don't think it is anything like so obvious for a sporting stand.

In addition the sides of the cage provide a safety barrier so that guns cannot be turned in the direction of those waiting to shoot in the heat of the moment.

Robert, I think you have it. In addition, the cage is often a restriction that can make a shot harder on purpose.

Don't shoot Fitasc sporting abroad then...!

You have to be able to do the two step in some countries.

Some of the old style Fitasc sp had us ducking as a whole squad.

Of course the ref explained the format first.

Of course my opinion is only given as an example being someone who shot it for many years.

I thought it was to detain the sporting shooter so he / she cannot get in the way of a trap layout were "propper" shooting takes place   :)

Only joking :)

Don't shoot Fitasc sporting abroad then...!

You have to be able to do the two step in some countries.

Some of the old style Fitasc sp had us ducking as a whole squad.
I've had a few of those in the UK as well - anyone remember the Westfield hoop where you shot an overhead crosser facing one way, and then turn through 180deg to shoot a right to left crosser - great fun. 

Everyone stand clear!

Blimey - that sounds a tad exciting!
People should remember that Pacours de Chasse is exactly that. Game birds come from anywhere....especially walked up. Fitasc sporting was made to ressemble game shooting just like Fitasc Helice was made to resemble Live Pigeon. There is a lot of history behind the international disciplines.

And yes Robert....proper old style Fitasc Sp was very exciting.

Last edited:
I seem to remember that when I first started shooting, way back in the last century, a lot of sporting layouts did not use cages.

the answer is pretty obvious !!! it is to keep the hedgemonkeys where they belong in a bloody cage !!

I've had a few of those in the UK as well - anyone remember the Westfield hoop where you shot an overhead crosser facing one way, and then turn through 180deg to shoot a right to left crosser - great fun. 

Everyone stand clear!
Yep, remember that, I tried it as a going away and nearly fell over!  Also, out in the valley at Southdown - remember the teal off to the right, then the left to right looper off to the left that needed a little dance - and that big admin bloke sure can dance...!  :sarcastic:   

(I'm ignoring those trappies...poor dears, they can't help it.)

Yep, remember that, I tried it as a going away and nearly fell over!  Also, out in the valley at Southdown - remember the teal off to the right, then the left to right looper off to the left that needed a little dance - and that big admin bloke sure can dance...!  :sarcastic:   
Might be able to dance - its the shooting bit I'm rubbish at!

The thread title is clearly referring to sporting, can we pleeeeeeease keep to that. :biggrin:   :sarcastichand:   ;)

I think Robert and Clever have it covered although very occasionally you do come across a simple loop placed on the ground as well.

thats a hula hoop hammy for exercise between cages :)

Latest posts

Back