why does it just go!?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK-POACHER

Ok coaches and people,

I shot westfield today, bloody lovely targets nice weather and feeling good..started on stand by car park over head and r/l crosser...did my normal routine shouted pull miss _ miss !second pair kill...kill..ok found them but nop miss..kill finish on 5/8

I wont go through every stand but it was the same the whole way around the course. The pair of sim crossers in corner of field smoked the first 3 pairs then didnt touch next 2 pairs!!!!!!

Ive been shooting many years and know when im beat by the target but today the targets were everything I like and I was hitting them but it was like I kept having a brain fart on every stand...I finished on 75/120 and felt lost..

I then wanted to shoot again as I couldnt believe I'd just lost how too shoot, so booked on the white gold challenge and shot a 14/20 and 15/20 !!!! On targets that are in my eyes bloody tricky.

Just asking as would love too know if its mental and my head or just clayshooting.

Definately a mental thing,your brain is shutting down after the first few pairs because your feeling its too easy. The whitegold was more of a challenge and not repetitive pairs so you have to think about it. well thats my thoughts anyway. best to take every pair as individual targets.. But hey we all have off days.

Hi 28boreshot.

Sounds like you need the same answers as I was after in my post on turning 8's into 10's.

If you get an answer that works for you, will you let me know!!!

Until then let's just say "That's shooting for you" and the reason we keep going back to try to get it right next time.   :biggrin:

Yep, I know its shooting etc etc, and yes its clayshooting and I will be back . But I felt great ..targets look good but I couldnt keep it there..

if there is something that can help mental training ? Or just stop and go home ...I was just interested to know its not just me..Im in A class and been shooting well but today it was like I had just started ...

Hope ya well topdog.

28bore

I have been shooting for 50 plus years. I have not shot any competitions for some 17 years, until last Thursday when I was persuaded to shoot the 100 birder at Hodnet................BIG MISTAKE. I have been shooting in the mid 70's on 100 birder practice shoots and would have expected somewhere near that on Thursday, er, no. Exactly as described above, first pair dead, then, next pair missed. Then hit one miss one throughout the shoot. The only thing that was any different, was, I had met a Guy at the local shoot the week previous. I mentioned that I was going to Hodnet to which he replied, "Better take your tight chokes for that one then". I always shoot 1/4 and 1/4 and if I feel the need, tighten up with an Express World Cup. I had pondered the choke thing for 3 days prior to shooting and even went as far as taking my 1/2 choke in my bag. I stuck it out with my 1/4 and 1/4 and have to say that there was not a single target that I did not hit a couple of. There were only really 2 targets that I would consider 'distant' and with the Express I blitzed the ones that I hit. I will now stand back and wait for all of the tight choke brigade to point out where I went wrong, but I will stick with what I am using. I do not believe the chokes had any bearing on my standard of shooting, that was just the fault of the thing that kept my ear defenders apart.

I do a similar thing where I may get on a pair straight away and then miss the last or the penultimate pair on a stand. In my opinion, what I do, is use instinct (and the correct method) to shoot the first few and then I try to remember what lead I saw and try to apply a measurement as I panic towards the end of a stand thinking to myself that "i'm going to clear this stand if I get this last pair".

I think the method to kill a target is the key and that I change the method half way through as I try and make sure of a kill. This results in me slowing the gun down as I measure the lead, the clay catches me up and I miss behind. The method was wrong, not the lead.

Could also be technical, in that the method you are using is in itself not suited to the target. It will break birds, but not necessarily put 8 kills in a row...

Glad to see you are still here Ed after Charles comments last night.....laughoutloud......what was he on......hee hee hee..!

I think the nature of Westfield today might have contributed. There were a lot of targets against sky, very visible, needing a bit of lead, with plenty of time to shoot them; which allows the brain time to wander, or over concentrate. So if you are not sure of yourself it had a chance to gather momentum..

Very few targets confused me today, but I and most I spoke to found it hard to keep filling the card in. I almost always hit the first two pairs then got tatty; changing my speed or kill point as there was plenty of time to think and try too hard. I almost found myself wishing for more fast quartering targets that needed killing quickly. (There were one or two). A good shoot but you had to be very smooth and repetitive to bank them all. I usually come away from a shoot with about 3 'stupid misses' as I call them, where I have hit them and go sloppy. Today there were more like 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
I accompanied a group for a have ago yesterday..

I finished 3rd .  36 ex 50  my colleague, who's been a few times before finished on 41 ex 50 

Missed some easy crossers, then  on the last stand i missed the first 3 - Easy going away bird..

then new i had to nail the next 7 which i did..

dont ask me why ...  

Some days there easy, others, bloody hard  .

Mart 

Ok coaches and people,

I shot westfield today, bloody lovely targets nice weather and feeling good..started on stand by car park over head and r/l crosser...did my normal routine shouted pull miss _ miss !second pair kill...kill..ok found them but nop miss..kill finish on 5/8

I wont go through every stand but it was the same the whole way around the course. The pair of sim crossers in corner of field smoked the first 3 pairs then didnt touch next 2 pairs!!!!!!

Ive been shooting many years and know when im beat by the target but today the targets were everything I like and I was hitting them but it was like I kept having a brain fart on every stand...I finished on 75/120 and felt lost..

I then wanted to shoot again as I couldnt believe I'd just lost how too shoot, so booked on the white gold challenge and shot a 14/20 and 15/20 !!!! On targets that are in my eyes bloody tricky.

Just asking as would love too know if its mental and my head or just clayshooting.

You're hopeless.  Just give it up.  Find some simple hobby.  Get rid of all that gun stuff, it will only make you feel bad.

HTH

Charlie

Redders, Ed, and Clever pretty much said it all!! When you kill that first pair it's all about repetition!! Unfortunately we think we can shoot the target quicker, our gun goes closer to the trap, we end up moving the gun faster etc etc. Repetition!! Key word, or focus

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes +1 to above.

Sporting .....bores everyone to miss. Repeat pairs doh....! You have to be a robot..!

Go shoot some Fitasc. It is much better discipline for those who can shoot well but get bored easily.

Honest.

You will smile again.

As per Tinkerbell's post.

I haven't been able to repetitively shoot 5 pairs  of sporting targets -  because I get bored and lose concentration.

I'm currently a 'patient' of Phil Coley to try and sort out my preparation/application on the stand (not to mention technical issues). However the first thing he said to me was that Fitasc would suit my mindset much better than sporting ! 

You're hopeless.  Just give it up.  Find some simple hobby.  Get rid of all that gun stuff, it will only make you feel bad.
Your humour is that dry you must have northern England ancestory...

Just saying

Bit like DTL then ?
Ah haaaa but DTL is different .....it is a game designed to improve the concentration :wink: plus you don't know where they are coming from :wink:

Ah haaaa but DTL is different .....it is a game designed to improve the concentration :wink: plus you don't know where they are coming from :wink:
are you sure Nicola?? There's a tin roof in front of you, and they come out of there going away, slowly!!

Latest posts

Back