Which one would you pick?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one?

• CG Invictus

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • CG Maxum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Browning Ultra XS Pro

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Browning Pro Sport

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Beretta 694

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Beretta 695 Sporter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miroku MK38 Gd5

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Blaser F16

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Spend it on a second hand gun (Perazzi, DT10 etc). Please comment below which one if you click this.

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
Help me choose. If you had £3k - £4k to spend on your first gun, which would you pick? 

(I have already budgeted for clays, cartridges and lessons etc)

Interested to hear the opinions of those who have the benefit of hindsight.
Your first gun is a sacrifice. Spend much less, get it fitted, learn, get it refitted, repeat this as you try new disciplines, and then get a much nicer gun. 

Your first gun is a sacrifice. Spend much less, get it fitted, learn, get it refitted, repeat this as you try new disciplines, and then get a much nicer gun. 
And start the process all over again 😁

I can tell you which gun not to buy & it’s all the guns on the list with adjustable combs, adjustable LOP etc as I can guarantee you once you get a bad days shooting first thing you will do is blame the gun & start adjusting things my advice would be get a gun that fits you. ( Try out the guns you will shoot better with a £200 gun that fits you than a £10,000 gun that doesn’t fit) I and my shooting mates have all got expensive guns but there is an elderly guy that shoots at our club & he has an old Browning medalist that’s worth nothing but I tell you he is the best shot in our club.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you which gun not to buy & it’s all the guns on the list with adjustable combs, adjustable LOP etc as I can guarantee you once you get a bad days shooting first thing you will do is blame the gun & start adjusting things my advice would be get a gun that fits you. ( Try out the guns you will shoot better with a £200 gun that fits you than a £10,000 gun that doesn’t fit) I and my shooting mates have all got expensive guns but there is an elderly guy that shoots at our club & he has an old Browning medalist that’s worth nothing but I tell you he is the best shot in our club.
I'll give completely the opposite advice.  Get one with an adjustable comb, get someone that knows what they are doing to set it to fit you and then hide the tools that are used to reset it.  You'll have a much easier time making an adjustable comb gun fit, than trying to find a fixed comb gun that already fits you.

If a gun you are intending to keep long term it will also allow you to adjust in future if for any reason your gun fit changes.  Weight loss or gain makes an amazing difference to your gun fit.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards a second hand gun but a fairly new one such as a XS Pro/694/DT11. It will depend upon what's in the shop and what fits best.

Since you asked for the benefit of hindsight...

I've had three 68x family guns. For several reasons it's highly unlikely I'd go for another one. The DTs are miles better IMO; I haven't owned one but tried several.

If it were the case that I had to have a Browning (thankfully it's not!), it would be the XS Pro, but I'd have to get the triggers fettled.

For my money it'd be between what are IMO the 2 sweetest shooting guns on your list. Either the F16 or the Invictus, for that matter any other CG since they all shoot about the same. Personally I prefer the CGs for the looks but the F16s are just as good to shoot.

I bought a browning xs pro and was impressed with the build quality and you get everything you need 8 chokes pads extensions and lots of spares. Shame I couldn’t get on with it and went back to my DT11. Great value second hand 

I bought a browning xs pro and was impressed with the build quality and you get everything you need 8 chokes pads extensions and lots of spares. Shame I couldn’t get on with it and went back to my DT11. Great value second hand 
I have noticed quite a few near new Browning XS Pro’s popping up for sale seems like shooters don’t get on with them don’t know why as it looks a hell of a set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give completely the opposite advice.  Get one with an adjustable comb, get someone that knows what they are doing to set it to fit you and then hide the tools that are used to reset it.  You'll have a much easier time making an adjustable comb gun fit, than trying to find a fixed comb gun that already fits you.

If a gun you are intending to keep long term it will also allow you to adjust in future if for any reason your gun fit changes.  Weight loss or gain makes an amazing difference to your gun fit.
This. 100%.

With regards to choice, my first gun was an adj MK38 (trap in 32”). Having been through a 725, 694, various Blasers, a SuperSport, Ultra XS, Zoli to name just a few.. I'm still shooting the MK38 today and posting my best scores. 

The only place I’d go from my Miroku is a Parcours (even then, only maybe..).

Caveat: I’ve had it teagued, adj trigger job, Isis pad and refinished the wood.

Used DT10 or save yourself shed loads of money and buy an original 682 gold (not gold e) the best gun Beretta ever made possibly the best clay gun ever....all things considered.....end of.  £1300 should get you a minter......your welcome 👍
A simple truth.  Personally I would go for a pre-93 682X or whatever it is they're called there.  I've had several and still have one which I see no reason to ever part with.

• Thanks
Reactions: ips

Latest posts

Back