Which form of live shooting do you find the most exiting? 1-3

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever get the opportunity grab it with both hands. Something to experiance once in your lifetime you will never forget it.

1. Pigeons over decoys on a windy day.2. Pigeons roost shooting on a windy night. No matter how good a shot you are you will still miss a few.3. Flighting wild ducks in on an inland pond.I am a bit dissolusioned with pheasants as i see too many people shooting low birds and turning them inside out.

phil said:

1. Pigeons over decoys on a windy day.2. Pigeons roost shooting on a windy night. No matter how good a shot you are you will still miss a few.3. Flighting wild ducks in on an inland pond.I am a bit dissolusioned with pheasants as i see too many people shooting low birds and turning them inside out.
1.   High partridges2.   Higher pheasants3.   Pigeons over decoys in a gale of wind4.   Golden Plover in a wind5.   Rabbits in the dark from the back of an L2006.   Crows on maize stubble7.   Rats out of a hole8.   Geese over decoys9.   Any FITASC competition10. A good English Sporting competition The above are in no particular order of preference. Each of them are equally enjoyable. Good company is essential!

phil said:

I know exactly what you mean about people shooting low birds,just returned from scotland,a high bird shoot which was finished early by 3 out of the 8 guns shooting low birds, but they won't ever do it again,not n my company anyway/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif

I have not done any live shooting for many years now but wildfowling out on the saltmarsh was the best for me. Preparing a couple of hides the day before, one in the mud creek and one in the marsh next to a shallow pond where I used to put out a few decoys. I will never forget the marshes slowly coming to life as the dawn breaks with the sun just edging it's way into the morning sky. The first time on the marsh at the tender age of 16 with my grandfather's Thomas Wild side by side hammer gun which he had passed on to me and a pocket full of his 5 shot paper cartridges. A small party of Teal flew past over the decoys, one single shot with a resounding Boom and 4 duck dropped into the pond. I was so suprised that I forgot to pull the second trigger.

Three other wildfowlers got up out of their hides and gave a hand to collect my prize all asking what the hell the cartridges were that i had used. They nicknamed me the 'Humber canon' and the 'scooter kid' because I used to go there on my pride and joy Lambretta. Even though that was 44 years ago, it will stay with me for ever. Sorry I rambled on a bit.

Phil

Great story Phil. Don't apologise for going on I was almost with you on the marsh when I read this.

Happy days.

Hmmm! Pigeons, Pheasants, Partridge, Geese, Crows, Bolting Rabbits, Sporting, Fitasc, Trap, Skeet.......in that order I think. ;)

1. Decoy geese

2. High phesants......the £42+vat ones at the place where I go beating, I only get one day a year at them:(

3. Wild ducks on my flight pond on a windy night

If I had the money........

1. Driven Grouse

2. High partridge

3. Syndicate place where I beat....

Nicola said: To be honest i've only shot high partrige once and this was on a mixed pheasant and partridge shoot,apart from odd ones on pheasant shoots,i,ve been on several partridge days including a well known cornwall shoot last year but sadly just can't find high ones,found it very frustrating seeing them coming off game crops way up but by the time they got to the gun line they were mostly 20 yards up,fast mind but put me completely off,don,t get me wrong i'm not saying they don't exist, they obviously do, it's just the one's i've been to were very disapointing,so i'm sticking to pheasants from now on.
If you want high driven partridges go to Cardney estate, Dunkeld, Perthshire. http://www.cardneysportingestate.co.uk/

Birds are driven off high heather hills over guns way bellow at the bottom......seriously testing!!!

Just a round of sporting.......per bird!!! Don't worry, they only shoot 200-300 bird days now......600+ bird days are in the past!!!

1) Driven peg Pheasants/Partridge

2) Roost Pigeons

3) Decoyed hide Pigeons

Anything in the field I enjoy but that would be my preference

Grices

I've been fortunate on occasions to shoot Grouses. In the shooting b_anter, I have to put up with the huffers and the puffers who waffle on about pish the price of grice "they cost too much to shoot thems" and I try to reason with the dunderheaded. I ask which would you rather shoot a right and left at grouse or six of their shoot mallards? I know their choice and then point out that the six mallard are obviously the worse value but they still dont get it.

Latest posts

Back