which chokes are you currently using in 2021 ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sporting 1/2 and 1/2; Skeet 1/4 and 1/4; Trap Full, and Full/Full (for doubles).    

Last edited by a moderator:
leeally quite simple.  This year, 2021, is an odd numbered year so as the rules state only odd numbered chokes are allowed in multi-choke guns.  Any fixed choke gun made prior to 1984 may be grandfathered in, but it is the shooter's responsibility to have a properly choked gun for any post-1984 production.

It's the rules; attendant DQ's and violations will go on your permanent record
I'm afraid the needle stuck on my permanent record a long time ago  !    😋

Chokes ? can become a bit of a obsession and a distraction !....to a DTL shooter 100 chips are better than 99 smokers ! but to me having a tighter choke tells me I shot it and not just a lucky chip ?
Bloomin eck, 100 chips...............which chippy is that then  ?

Caesar Guerini Invictus 1 with standard chokes.

Probably unpopular but I sneak around most grounds with Skeet & IC… just swap the Skeet for a tighter choke if the pair are both further out.

Whenever I practice I always out LF & F in though.

I was thinking about this whole thing yesterday. The shooting industry sure has it covered in terms of winding us all up about which way to go. Top end cartridges are marketed, encouraging us to spend £300/ 1000, all in a bid to have a very tight pattern, usually too tight for most sporting targets especially when using large shot size. And then there are the likes of the bior 9 shot cartridges designed to brutally blow the pattern out for close targets. A very good shot friend of mine is now using them on well over half a typical sporting course. 

Choke manufacturers would have us spend a fortune on these simple little threaded tubes, with claims of.. something or other.

IMO you really do have to find a happy place in your head and settle on something simple or your mind is at risk of being very disrupted when you shoot. So for me I’m sticking to one choke size and will just have a few larger shot size cartridges in the bag for anything really long. It’s maybe not totally optimal, but it is what I can cope with without distracting myself. Focussing on pointing in the right place is invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO you really do have to find a happy place in your head and settle on something simple or your mind is at risk of being very disrupted when you shoot. So for me I’m sticking to one choke size and will just have a few larger shot size cartridges in the bag for anything really long. It’s maybe not totally optimal, but it is what I can cope with without distracting myself. Focussing on pointing in the right place is invaluable.
Sorry Will but this is clay shooting and clear sense and logical thinking are just not acceptable...🤣

Chokes ? can become a bit of a obsession and a distraction !....to a DTL shooter 100 chips are better than 99 smokers ! but to me having a tighter choke tells me I shot it and not just a lucky chip ?
Judging by the physique of a lot of DTL shooters,  they must have had a lot of those 'Lucky Chips'  !

Back