Where to start - practice regime

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

I've started two new hobbies recently, electric guitar and clay shooting. With electric guitar, there are many resources out there, books, YouTube videos, websites etc. that have a wealth of information regarding learning the guitar from scratch, including practice regimes and techniques.

For clay shooting I'm a bit in the dark as to how to practice/learn effectively. I have ordered a book, "Breaking Clays" by Chris Batha, which got good reviews on Amazon, so I hope that will help. Aside from that, anyone got tips on which targets I should start with? Is it a case of mainly practicing one type of target until you get decent enough and then move on to something more challenging?

I guess I'm asking since I will go up to Ian Coley's again soon, but want to make the most of my time spent there (it's not the cheapest!).

Cheers
Andy

skeet would be the best place to start as you have most angles at a steady spead and you can repeat them untill your hitting them,if you can afford it you cant beet going and having some lessons,as you can tell by my grammer i have always thought the real world will learn you much more than books.

Andy I agree with Paul that Skeet is probably the best learning/teaching tool there is,once your basics have been sorted out such as gun fit and mount.

Vic.

I've started two new hobbies recently, electric guitar and clay shooting. With electric guitar, there are many resources out there, books, YouTube videos, websites etc. that have a wealth of information regarding learning the guitar from scratch, including practice regimes and techniques.

For clay shooting I'm a bit in the dark as to how to practice/learn effectively. I have ordered a book, "Breaking Clays" by Chris Batha, which got good reviews on Amazon, so I hope that will help. Aside from that, anyone got tips on which targets I should start with? Is it a case of mainly practicing one type of target until you get decent enough and then move on to something more challenging?

I guess I'm asking since I will go up to Ian Coley's again soon, but want to make the most of my time spent there (it's not the cheapest!).

Cheers

Andy

You can see Chris Batha in action, talking about "gun 'old" on youtube.  Clay Coach Online.  Several videos, start with  Wabbits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukE1GCEQUg&list=PL_eeQ1PpV16Qr8NjrRqH5C-_6SQJrmAq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-AFt8AHzs&playnext=1&list=PL_eeQ1PpV16Qr8NjrRqH5C-_6SQJrmAq0&feature=results_main

Most of all get a good coaching session to set you on your way too. Say hello when you are up and the ground, always great to meet ShootClay`ers.

Some stuff you can do easily at home...

1) Practice your mount at home.

2) Practice your mount at home doing the flashlight drill.

3) Practice your mount at home doing the 3 shell drill.

4) Rinse and repeat.

Some stuff you can do easily at home...

1) Practice your mount at home.

2) Practice your mount at home doing the flashlight drill.

3) Practice your mount at home doing the 3 shell drill.

4) Rinse and repeat.
Can you expand on 2 & 3 please Doc?

Sent from my Desire HD using tapatalk 2

The flashlight drill...A mini mag light with the beam tightly adjusted is placed in the barrel of an empty gun.  Then in any room where comfortable practice your mount while holding the beam steady in the corner created where the celing and the wall meet.  The operative word is steady...if the beam dances work until the beam remains calm all the way until your mount is complete.

What we're after is getting the hands working together making a SMOOTH mount to the cheek.  Developing feel...a repeatable move if you will.  Then after a week or so you should have a repeatable move that you can now move the beam out on the seam as if it is a target line...left, right, up ans down to the floor...and complete the shot in the corner.

The 3 shell drill is you place 3 shells in a line approx 12" apart...like on a dresser or shelf and stand back across the room with an empty gun...now mount on the shell on the right while keeping your eyes on the center shell and do the same with the shell on the left while looking at the shell in the middle.  What this does is getting you eyes accustomed to looking across the rib and down the side depending on target presentation...left to right & right to left. The gun in your periphery and your eyes on the target helping you with your confidence to keep you eyes out there on the target.

Practice these regularily and you will pick up birds per round...Cheers!!

Wow that shows how different trap is to that other stuff. None of that would work for trap training. :)

With respect i cant see mounting barrel pointing in one place whilst looking to the side would assist in trap. As focus should allways be above barrels in trap unless of course you use the looking through the barrels technique. Just my opinion of course.

Regards Ian

With respect i cant see mounting barrel pointing in one place whilst looking to the side would assist in trap. As focus should allways be above barrels in trap unless of course you use the looking through the barrels technique. Just my opinion of course.

Regards Ian
Excellent point. Eye placement is key.  Target control starts and ends with the eyes.

Shooting right handed on a hard right target for example the right eye (dominate I presume) looks across the top of the rib and visa versa.  The eye is looking across the rib at the target. 

I see your point, however I am not convinced. Anyway it matters not .

Have a good day

Ian 

The flashlight drill...A mini mag light with the beam tightly adjusted is placed in the barrel of an empty gun.  Then in any room where comfortable practice your mount while holding the beam steady in the corner created where the celing and the wall meet.  The operative word is steady...if the beam dances work until the beam remains calm all the way until your mount is complete.

What we're after is getting the hands working together making a SMOOTH mount to the cheek.  Developing feel...a repeatable move if you will.  Then after a week or so you should have a repeatable move that you can now move the beam out on the seam as if it is a target line...left, right, up ans down to the floor...and complete the shot in the corner.

The 3 shell drill is you place 3 shells in a line approx 12" apart...like on a dresser or shelf and stand back across the room with an empty gun...now mount on the shell on the right while keeping your eyes on the center shell and do the same with the shell on the left while looking at the shell in the middle.  What this does is getting you eyes accustomed to looking across the rib and down the side depending on target presentation...left to right & right to left. The gun in your periphery and your eyes on the target helping you with your confidence to keep you eyes out there on the target.

Practice these regularily and you will pick up birds per round...Cheers!!
Another OSP convert! Gil Ash is now on here :)

Ed

Latest posts

Back