whats the sp regarding queue jumping at straw balers ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest worry at any non registered shoot , game shoot , or practice clay shoot is this ..... ‘does the bloke with his finger on the trigger have insurance ‘ whether it’s a .410 Baikal or a Rigby elephant gun , it’s always amazed me that there is no requirement on the shooter to have insurance. 

Easy solution there... go tell the person running the shoot! Pretty sure that's not the sort of reputation they want, bearing in mind how hard it is to be allowed permission to run these things nowadays.

Got hassle at a football match once cos I was 5 minutes late due to train delays. The knob sitting in my ticketed seat said it was hard luck and find another, so I VERY quietly just said to him he can either move or I'll get a steward and they'll do it by force, which would he prefer. With that ultimatum, he was annoyed and all sweary but relinquished my seat back to me cos he realised he was stuffed. I thanked him, nothing more happened, I enjoyed watching my team beating Tottenham Hotspur. :D

IF I ever have an issue with ANY member of a group, be it the gun owner or otherwise, I simply point out to them that before things escalate, the ONLY loser is going to be the one with a SGC.  He is the one who will then tell his mates to shut up and leave. A slightly different scenario, I know, but on one occasion I suspected that a team of 'cowboys' who shot up to our game shoot boundary, were coming onto 'our' side after we were beating a wood away from the boundary. I gave my gun to one of the beaters to carry and I stayed behind in the edge of the wood. Sure enough 6 guys with guns came through the gate and lined out on our land.. I let them fire the first few shots and then emerged and confronted them. Transpired that of the 6, only 2 had SGC's. They were a bit "well, what are you going to do about it then "  ? I simply pointed out that armed trespass carries a power of arrest and that I was quite prepared  to spend the remainder of the day at the local nick, if they wished. They backed off and we never had any further problems. Or, as already said, at least tell the shoot organisers. Having run a shooting ground I know just how difficult it is to 'see' everywhere and I relied a lot on other people bringing things to my attention.

Westley look at my original post and I will clarify the point I was trying to explain. It all comes down to what people refer to as a straw bailer. I did differentiate between a small run members shoot and an open shoot were no one seems to give two hoots who turns up and what they get up to. I accept you can have some very modest little shoots that are well run and attended by like minded respectfull shooters.  It's the open Sunday morning affairs were three knob heads turn up sharing one gun and acting like idiots is their normal behaviour in life.  If you havnt come across that type then you are lucky. In my short time shooting ,I have come across more than one. That's what I was referring to and that's what I mean when I say ,if those were the only type of shoots, I would pack it in.
must admit I go to straw balers and have never seen anyone act the idiot , perhaps I have been lucky or maybes they are run on a reasonbly safe /sensible way , either way guys really didnt mean to start an argument .

Ain't no argument from me, but an awful lot of shooters began with straw balers or even Corporate days. I know because I meet some excellent shooters at various grounds who still thank me for getting them started in the sport, including going with them to get their first gun. Most I had met through 'Have a go' or Corporate days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that jumping round the stands in a random order shortens the time. In my experience you always end up with one stand that has a big queue and you end up waiting just as long as you would have if everyone had shot the stands in order.
yet to find that ,by hopping around generally everybody seems to be finishing off, only thing is then you have the opposite problem that you only have a siting pair on an empty stand rather than suss out by watching a few before your turn, swings and roundabouts eh

Just what do people class as a straw baler.leave aside a few of the really big grounds.l shoot at two small local grounds which shoot alternate sundays and set up by members.but I also shoot at various large grounds where you go round and and button yourself which is pretty much the same as the small local clubs.these so called straw balers are in reallity the life blood of our sport.

Just what do people class as a straw baler.leave aside a few of the really big grounds.l shoot at two small local grounds which shoot alternate sundays and set up by members.but I also shoot at various large grounds where you go round and and button yourself which is pretty much the same as the small local clubs.these so called straw balers are in reallity the life blood of our sport.
good question, I only go to local stuff due to the costs involved going to reg shoots , its not a cheap sport and going by the current lets rip em off cartridge price increases its not getting cheaper , I can see this leading to a down fall in entrys, its notice able in this area where some grounds were packed now not so much...as for what you call a straw baler I have the impression its something thats not a registered shoot competition wise, and often seems to be looked down upon it seems by "proper" (I use that term loosely) shooters, with even a well respected coach making snipes on you tube videos...well if your one of those that doesnt want to improve above 70% and are happy to just go to the local stuff ......  pretty arrogant view in my humble opinion, agree if you dont go to every other ground within 150 miles your arent going to get the breadth of experiance , thats obvious , but if you have financial/work /familycommitments that dont allow this no amount of  "comments"  can change that  .  so for some of us straw balers are perfect ! enjoy them.

Yup, genuinely, hand on heart have no idea who you're talking about as I don't look at much youtube stuff unless it's linked to me or specifically suggested, but whoever that person is needs a big dose of reality with a side of humility. I work hard for not a lot of money, very much enjoy shooting, and can't afford the cost or time to be challenging the Richard Faulds of the world, but doesn't mean I don't take it as seriously as I can.

What a tw*t!

...and in case of anyone wondering what the rude word censor is stopping, that's tw*t with an 'a', not an 'i'!

its not meant as a specific dig at that particular person , far from , just the attitude if you would call it that

It's horses for courses.  If you are on a budget and after a bit of fun with mates on a Sunday morning, straw balers are perfect.  If cost isn't an issue and you are pushing yourself to improve, then going to the same straw baler every fortnight won't cut it. 

If you've shot a ground a few times you get used to the targets - even though they might change them each time, things like topography, stand positions and the extent of the setters imagination can often limit how much variety there is. For example, no bank or platform and you'll never see a target below your feet if you shoot the same ground all the time.

if cost is an issue you dont really have the option , thats the point ,preference would be to go to differant grounds ad lib but cant be done , and not interested in "fun with mates"   prefer to put in best score possible on each stand irrelivant of where and who with ,but yes enjoy the company , its all about trying to beat the target for me. Common sence dictates as I previously said if you dont go to every ground within 150 miles you are limiting your potential.

Common sense is to go to quietest stands.  Straw bailers I have been to seem to have people on them doing as they please if they are open to general public and not members only.  I have witnessed a lot more bad practices going on at them than people not going to the stands in a certain order.

Just my preference, but if straw bailers on a Sunday morning were the only shoots available to me, I would pack in 
If there were no straw bale shoots you would likely be playing golf or something.as they are the backbone of shooting in the UK.

Bit late to the party on this, but at my local club the current ‘rule’ is you can start on any stand you wish, but should then move round clockwise. Sure, some do jump a little if there is quite a wait, but in the main it works well. Always interesting to watch a few others when you get a small wait

As for ‘straw balers’, i think there is a lot of middle ground between what we envisage as an original straw baler and a large ground running regular registered shoots and competitions. I really look forward to my regular Sunday shoot at a local club. Meet up with a few friends, tea and bacon rolls, really friendly bunch of people in a very safe environment... and now we have Skeet on Saturdays, alongside a 50 birder. Decisions decisions!!!

Latest posts

Back