The Etiquette when there's a queue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

I'm wondering if there's a sort of "gentleman's agreement" in force regarding practice days at clay grounds. Patience is indeed a virtue, and it's easy to be patient if a group of people reach a stand before you and proceed to shoot their turn. Not a problem, of course, it's the same as golf courses, and waiting at the bar to be served. But when there are people behind you what is considered "reasonable behaviour"? If a group of four decide on eight birds apiece that would seem pretty fair - after all you would get something close to that in a competition - but if they decide they're going to sit on that stand for an hour or two is that reasonable? Where is the line drawn?

Or is it just a free-for-all?

wasn't aware there was a line on practice,revisit that stand when its free.

Isn't it a bit of first come first served, shoot another stand and come back when it's free.

claymate grounds like west Kent are great for really hammering problem birds. Sometimes you don't want 4 or 5 pairs of everything and do a whole round, but 50 birds of a problem target.

Normally when we shoot in a group at a practise ground it's 5 pairs each and onto the next stand. 

In theory the people who got there before you can do as they please on practice days but in practice they tend to shoot a reasonable number of clays each and I often find they offer lone shooters to slot in between. What I'm saying is that I don't find this an issue and will personally simply move onto the next stand hoping to go back later. 

What I do occasionally find disconcerting is an inexperienced group being ferried around by someone we'd consider a noob, not so much the time they take but their lack of familiarity of routine, how to stand, where to point, how to brace recoil etc, etc. 

However, if you got back to a stand an hour after having first walked past it to find a likely lad still coachin' his mates  :rolleyes:  and said likely lad made no effort to acknowledge you and your being entitled to have a few shots, then you can make one of two moves:

Smile and say ere mate this is the only stand I haven't shot, any chance you could spot my mistakes  :D  and watch how quickly he shoves everyone out of the way for you  :lol: :lol: .

Or walk off and murmur your favourite insult  :lol: .

I cant comment, 

as i appear to be the shooting equivalent of Billy no mates when it comes to practice, i never have anyone on a stand in front of me ;)

However ive often found that if i stand patiently on my ownsome, i'm usually recognised, and offerd the chance to dive in and make a complete hash, #

sorry i meant clean sweep of the stand ;)

To be honest, i think Hammy has summed it up perfectly

:santa: x

Here I have a bit of a dilemma, you see, if I get fed up of waiting and decide to move on, then WHO is going to be able to shout "Your'e behind them" , when they miss ?      :rolleyes:

Here I have a bit of a dilemma, you see, if I get fed up of waiting and decide to move on, then WHO is going to be able to shout "Your'e behind them" , when they miss ?      :rolleyes:
Haha I definitely know someone who does that even if he's at the end of the line :D  

I dont say anything I think it now, I got shouted at by a rude man on skeet once I said "give em double what you are now" and he said "I dont want no junior telling me want to do" so now I've just stopped. I dont understand people who are that rude sometimes...

I dont say anything I think it now, I got shouted at by a rude man on skeet once I said "give em double what you are now" and he said "I dont want no junior telling me want to do" so now I've just stopped. I dont understand people who are that rude sometimes...
Don't get into game shooting then !

I say nothing to anyone. And I don't expect it from people either.  

There's always a helpful chap around to give us ladies advice. My friend Cheryl* tells some marvellous stories of gentlemen who have spontaneously offered her advice and coaching.  Giving unsolicited advice to those whom you have not met is not polite. Genuine offers prefaced with a request such as "Would you like some help?" or "May I make a suggestion?' that are not followed by a strop when turned down are much more civil. 

With regards to the OP's question I'd say it depends. If it's practice I don't think anyone has to move, but it would be courteous of them to let you shoot five pairs or so. I have been at a ground for practice where two thirds of the ground was engaged in a competition and all empty stands had eight or ten birds on them. We planted ourselves on a stand for an hour because there was simply nowhere else to be. We are not children, we don't need to take turns.  In fact, the several times I have let people shoot a round of dtl or skeet because they " be quick" I have wished I hadn't. 

*30+ world championship titles, great coach, Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club Ambassador and a woman who doesn't need anyone telling her where she missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back