What vest?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom b

I usually shoot with a pouch but fancy trying a vest after not shooting with one for a few years. Can anyone offer a recommendation for a decent skeet vest that doesn’t feel overly restrictive? Looking for one to go over a fleece for the winter time.

Thanks Tom

I usually shoot with a pouch but fancy trying a vest after not shooting with one for a few years. Can anyone offer a recommendation for a decent skeet vest that doesn’t feel overly restrictive? Looking for one to go over a fleece for the winter time.

Thanks Tom
I don’t think any are restrictive unless you’re wearing a size too small. I think the biggest thing to avoid is any that have overly thick material where the gun mounts or you can’t feel where it’s mounted. Castellani are great but pricey. I think Jack Pyke make very good ones for very sensible money. 

I’ve just bought a half price Musto clay vest from Phillip Morris , they are selling them at £70 . I believe Musto have stopped marketing shootung gear .  It’s a quality garment . Also has a built in expander zip flap , so buy it suit summer fit , and you’ll have an extra couple of inches to cope with bulky clothes . 

I've been using Beretta vests of several types for 6-8 years now.  Reasonable prices, excellent quality, happy with all of them.  They have all come with removable pads that I don't use but may be the hot setup for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever vest you buy make sure you TRY before you buy, or be prepared to faff about with returns. I am still looking for a new mesh style vest to replace my 30 years old one. I had to go up 1 size with Seeland,  2 sizes with Browning and THREE sizes with Beretta. My 2 existing vests are both XL and are a good fit, however they are both 20 plus years old. The 'modern' sizes seem to be pot luck really, which is why my Grandkids order 3 different sizes of any clothing, being prepared to return two of them     ???

Have a look at a company called wested their one is very heavy duty with real leather patches as long as you like black, I've had mine for 10 years and still going strong I'm an XL and it is a true size, they also do an all leather one if you're into that sort of thing 👍

Apart from some of the garish designs I really like the look of the barepelt ones.  Not sure if there is a UK stockist though.  They look exactly what i want in a vest.  No padding at all on the mounting shoulder, thin, and lightweight. 

Thanks Tom
I too use a pouch and have done for years. The only time I wear a skeet vest is when the rules require me to.

If you don’t need to change why do so? A pouch, aside from being more comfortable, gives you much more flexibility.

If you do want one there’s nothing better than Castellani assuming you can work out their rather odd sizing.

I too use a pouch and have done for years. The only time I wear a skeet vest is when the rules require me to.

If you don’t need to change why do so? A pouch, aside from being more comfortable, gives you much more flexibility.

If you do want one there’s nothing better than Castellani assuming you can work out their rather odd sizing.

I have to disagree on the pouch thing,  Having something hanging from my waist is not comfortable at all to me.  Only one of several reasons that vests came into my life 30+ years ago.

JMO of course

Have a look at the "half skeet vests." A pocket either side for balance, but you can wear what fleece you like for warmth.

Have a look at the "half skeet vests." A pocket either side for balance, but you can wear what fleece you like for warmth.
I bought one from Decathlon, think they have gone up recently but still fantastic value at £14. 

I bought one from Decathlon, think they have gone up recently but still fantastic value at £14. 
I bought a fleece from Decathlon. Bloody thing was £815! Well, fleece was £15 but I dragged the door of my car down a big yellow post in the car park, which cost £800 to fix. I won’t be back. 

Had a few over the years, Beretta (1987-2017) luckily I stayed same shape, not shooting from 1990 - 2008 might have something to do with it lasting 🤪 Musto, only 2 years before it split at numerous seams👎, unlucky really, Hull vest, made by Croots, worn in all weathers it really is top drawer the only downside being its the older branding which shows its really has been made to last😊had a Perazzi one bought me, again stitching loose in next to no time 👎👎 so much so its been sent to recycling heaven, also now have a Fiocchi (Castalleni) which is pretty decent but of the two the Hull one is by far the better made / more versatile. 

I bought a fleece from Decathlon. Bloody thing was £815! Well, fleece was £15 but I dragged the door of my car down a big yellow post in the car park, which cost £800 to fix. I won’t be back. 
On line shopping sometimes has benefits Will 😂

Had a few over the years, Beretta (1987-2017) luckily I stayed same shape, not shooting from 1990 - 2008 might have something to do with it lasting 🤪 Musto, only 2 years before it split at numerous seams👎, unlucky really, Hull vest, made by Croots, worn in all weathers it really is top drawer the only downside being its the older branding which shows its really has been made to last😊had a Perazzi one bought me, again stitching loose in next to no time 👎👎 so much so its been sent to recycling heaven, also now have a Fiocchi (Castalleni) which is pretty decent but of the two the Hull one is by far the better made / more versatile. 
Every Musto product i have had from flotataion suits to shooting jackets has been repaired FOC when i have abused and damaged it!

Thanks Tom
I have quite a few trap vests and for me the best ones are from here, because they have a leather strip that grips my gun better. She'll make to your specification and fit.

https://www.stmgear.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp

Back