Well that went badly!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Had a 60 bird shoot today, so thought I'd start with a bit of a quick session with a coach just to cover some winkles, prior to the Beretta  World that's coming up.

He suggested i try gun down, as he felt it would suit me better, and give me more time to acquire and swing through the bird. 

Seemed a bit odd,  in that as soon is i had got the gun up, i was pulling the trigger to shoot.

Hey ho in for a penny,  so off i went off do the 60 bird sporting.

Stand one was rabbits  killed em both, .   but the gun was very hard to open, i really had to give it some pull to get it to open. 

(new carts btw  gamebore Blue Diamond)

2nd pair,  first rabbit and click, misfire  POX!!!  so called misfire, waited 10 secs broke the gun and whipped the lower cart out, and reloaded

Missed one and killed one.

Got   to the next target and it was a teal and a crosser, so i thought id have a go at the teal gun down ... 

Big mistake !!!    i didn't have the gun squarely in my shoulder and my cheek was nowhere near the stock when i pulled the trigger ... 

OW that hurt!! .     thought nothing of it and carried on ....

When i got back to see the other half,  she said that I'd cut myself and poked the bleeding area on my lower jaw...    OUCH,  right into a nice little swelling that's come up ...

Moral of the tale.   if you going to shoot gun down ,make sure the gun is mounted, before you pull the trigger!!! 

And to cap it all i did worse on my re entry  than my orignal card

(And the misfired cart was well struck  a large pin mark ritght in the middle of the primer!!)

Oh well, theres always next week!!

:santa:

Definitely agree Ed,

I didn't blank any stand, and managed a respectable  8/10  one one stand, a LR crosser OR LR looper,  so i know i can do it. 

I just need to get out more and practice . :)

Gun mount is something that you can practice at home and is obviously relevant to shooting 'gun down'  with any degree of success. If my memory is correct, the last time that I shot, I used a combination of both gun up and gun down. I shoot gun up on Teal or any 'Trap' style going away targets and any fast driven Grouse type targets and gun down for the rest, but this is an age and lack of mobility thing. Shooting gun down really comes into it's own on long incoming targets that you can see from the trap to kill point. It also helps if the fit of your gun is reasonable too.

ive tried gun down once or twice it just wasnt form me. so many mis mounts. so ive decided that gun up is the way forward

ive tried gun down once or twice it just wasnt form me. so many mis mounts. so ive decided that gun up is the way forward
I understand what you are saying but I believe that's just because it doesn't feel right yet for you.  I now use gun down selectively on sporting and it does help me on certain targets.  For me it was a matter of confidence in not looking stupid.  I'm not finished perfecting it yet but I do see the benefit of being able to use it definitely.

Squad times are out for Beretta worlds.... 

. our 11:30 squad shows a start time of  12:52...  

That's if Ive read it right

Last edited by a moderator:

I looks as well and that is what it says but that sounds weird so needs to be checked

I think gun down is definitely better, gives you better sight of the bird, the speed, and required swing, and can be much quicker, but your gun must fit properly! If you shoot ok gun up, the length of time and practice for the muscle memory to shoot gun down may not be worth the effort!

Here's my rule of thumb, anything that I cannot or would struggle to have the gun fully mounted AT the hold point, when the clay is AT the hold point gets shot gun up. I might have my face off the stock to see the clay better at calling, but when the clay reaches my hold point, I will be fully mounted.

Incomers/crows/crossers that I have time to mount on get shot gun down...trap type/teal/quartering away/quickly taken shots get shot gun up.

Thats the challenge of FITASC...what would be an easy bird gun up ESP can become much more testing gun down!!!

I looks as well and that is what it says but that sounds weird so needs to be checked
Don't forget peeps that every squad is starting on stand 1 or stand 9 depending on which course you will be shooting first. We can't all get there together. Saturday 11.30 with a start time of 11.40, stand 9 for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget peeps that every squad is starting on stand 1 or stand 9 depending on which course you will be shooting first. We can't all get there together. Saturday 11.30 with a start time of 11.40, stand 9 for us.
Thank you x

Were also 11:30, but have a start time of 12:52, given you lot have start times closer to your arrival time makes me think something may be amiss! 

Were also 11:30, but have a start time of 12:52, given you lot have start times closer to your arrival time makes me think something may be amiss! 

Santa it makes sense what tiptop is saying.  If you have lots of squads that all have the 11.30 start and only two stands where we start then squads have to be spaced out.  We are just unlucky that we have so long to wait.

What it really needs is online booking like the CPSA have so you can book a start time. Especially as every squad is starting on the same stand , which ever course you shoot first, at least you would know exactly what time you were on when you booked. As it's only shot once a year that will probably never happen though. I guess we were lucky with the time slot as it looks like we are the 2nd squad out on the 11.30 rotation, and you are about the 7/8th squad out.

Latest posts

Back