Trying out guns.....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Do gun shops let you try out guns and shoot them? If so how do they go about it.

I am not really looking for a new gun. I shoot a 682 gold e 32" which is 3 years old. I bought it because it fitted well and was a very good deal. I saw an instant improvement in scores between that and my Silver pigeon which was too short in stock and barrels. But if I did want to try them out, how do i go about it.

Anyway, I was in a local gun shop on Saturday admiring all of the shiny treasure, and I really would like to try a blaser F3, a K80, a Perazzi. Shoot them on the same targets I normally shoot and see for myself if there was any difference, but both of my local gun shops are not at clay grounds, or near clay grounds, and local clay grounds don't have gun shops.

So how do you go about it?

Do gun shops let you try out guns and shoot them? If so how do they go about it.

I am not really looking for a new gun. I shoot a 682 gold e 32" which is 3 years old. I bought it because it fitted well and was a very good deal. I saw an instant improvement in scores between that and my Silver pigeon which was too short in stock and barrels. But if I did want to try them out, how do i go about it.

Anyway, I was in a local gun shop on Saturday admiring all of the shiny treasure, and I really would like to try a blaser F3, a K80, a Perazzi. Shoot them on the same targets I normally shoot and see for myself if there was any difference, but both of my local gun shops are not at clay grounds, or near clay grounds, and local clay grounds don't have gun shops.

So how do you go about it?
Some gun shops will have demo guns and may arrange to meet you at a shooting ground to try them. But not all shops will do that and not all shops will have the particular model that you are interested in! :)

Some guns shops have facilities to try guns on site

Some guns shops are at shooting grounds

Some gun shops which don't have their own facilities on site have an arrangement with a local ground

You need to ask what is possible

Clearly they will want to establish how likely a buyer you are, discuss your budget etc and may not be keen to let you have a blast with all their new guns

My local gun shop JF Neville in Alfreton will let you borrow any used gun to take away and try and just bring it back the next day, but I don't know if all shops will offer this service

If you have a good relationship with a dealer they usually let you take em to try for A few days but i suspect it takes a few years before the dealer knows you well enough. Only other way is go to one of the grounds that have shops on site.

I have borrowed guns from a dealer before, as you say depends on how well you know each other,as long as it's returned within 72 hours.

Some gun shops also run 'demo' days, but these are generally for newer models, you could have a chat with your local gun shop and see if they have any arranged in the future. Or if there is a particula make/model contact the main dealer and see if they have any demo days planned and at which locations.

Thing is, I'd never know the difference between a 2k 682 GE, a 4.5k Blaser, or an 8k K80 until I try one, and until I try one I don't know if I'm interested in buying one........if you get me.

Thing is, I'd never know the difference between a 2k 682 GE, a 4.5k Blaser, or an 8k K80 until I try one, and until I try one I don't know if I'm interested in buying one........if you get me.
Can see what you mean, maybe a few cheeky questions to some shooters at a local grounds may help.

Can see what you mean, maybe a few cheeky questions to some shooters at a local grounds may help.
Well I can tell you one thing for certain! I can miss just as well with a £2K gun as I can with a £10K gun. :.: :.:

The two gun shops near me are very good. They will let you borrow a used or demo (but not new) gun and use it at a designated ground.

First and foremost you need to decide whether like me its about owning a more expensive gun for the joy or to improve your shooting! as i feel the latter does not always achieve this leaving you with a rather exspensive mistake, the gun you shoot is more then capable of world class scores in the right hands as my friend Hamster on this forum proves week in week out, the best way to try these type of guns is a polite request at your shooting ground, i have never been refused to my knowledge with most shooters happy to share there pride and joy..

Latest posts

Back