Trigger adjustment

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try McWet shooting gloves .  They can be sized for a perfect fit as they come in 1/2 sizes . You don’t need a cut away trigger finger as they are sensitive enough .  As the name implies you will never regret buying them if you ever shoot in the rain as they just stick to wet wood , but are great in the dry . I shoot in these gloves 95% of the time having retired my expensive Dents shooting gloves as the McWets just outperform them for a 1/4 of the price . 
I have 3 pairs of Macwet gloves in various guises. They are excellent in all weathers EXCEPT rain. I wore mine, the climatech version, a week last Saturday on a shoot in Cumbria where it was a day of horizontal hailstones. After some 30 minutes of this my Macwets were exceptionally............er............'Macwet'. My hands were freezing, to a point where it was warmer to discard the gloves. Thankfully my shooting buddy had a spare pair of industrial type gloves, which a was glad to accept. That is the second time my hands have frozen in wet Macwets. I will wear them in anything except wet weather as long as they stay 'Macdry' they are OK, but that does seem somehow,  to defeat the object. I shall go back to my wool glove/mitten style which actually get warmer if wet  ? 

PS, If you wish to try them too, you are welcome. They are 8 1/2's

Last edited by a moderator:
I think glove wise I'm a 10, but thanks anyway.

I just stuff handwarmers in my pockets and hold them. The only real cold I feel is in my thumb which gets quite painful. Occasionally I'll wear finger less leather wheelchair type gloves which help with grip a bit as my hands are caloused from using walking sticks.

I slip my gun between stands as I need a stick to balance and this also gives me a chance to warm my hands. I stuff them into a heat holders wool hat with two hand warmers inside. Toasty 😁

I’ll agree Wesley they do get wet , but they stay the same size and don’t go baggy , and the palm does grip in the wet , that’s the Wet bit of the name rather than water proof .  I’ve shot 4 sodden driven days in them this year and just wring them out at lunchtime , but we all feel perceived cold differently. As Centrepin is shooting clays , it shouldn’t matter as when it rains you go in .  Hopefully the trigger change will sort it out . But a glove is an easy option if it didn’t . 

Last edited by a moderator:
This all seems sorta convoluted to me - I know, Stupid Yank!  So here are my unsolicited remarks.

I wear golf gloves of one kind or another on both hands all the time.  They give my antique hands a better grip on the gun.  AFAIC anyone who needs to "feel" the trigger on a shotgun needs to unlearn rifleland and learn how to shoot a shotgun.  Trigger squeezing and light pull weights are a near certain path to flinching.

The above also de-critifies the trigger placement in absolute terms.  IMO if you're obsessing over that you have some bigger problems.  The same goes for trigger pull weight.  Its a shotgun not a sniper rifle.  Perazzi triggers from the factory on all the guns that have come thru my hands are remarkably consistent at 4.5lbs on the first barrel and 5.5 on the second.  I wonder why?  I had a longtime world class shooter, Derek Partridge who you may recall, offer to assist me as I displayed my incompetence at OT.  His first action was to check the trigger pulls on my gun which were as above and he pronounced them perfect.

of course that is all JMO and has no influence on your performance and as luck would have it the practices of others with dissimilar opinions have no effect on my performance or lack of it.   :thumbsu:

be safe

I need my fingers not to be sore or broken skin after firing tis all Sir. I have a lot of numbness in my hands (and feet) I'm also a  diabetic on insulin and broken skin can quickly lead to infection and unfortunately in some cases amputation. I think you may agree the loss of my trigger finger would hamper my firing somewhat, regardless of pull pressure. 😁😁😁

Be it a replacement trigger or gloves I just want to enjoy my shooting for the sake of shooting, and I love shooting and fishing.

It's what my wife said and she's never wrong😉
She would be,  IF she met mine  !

No, in dry weather I wear Macwets, either their summer or winter version, but for warmth,  I opt for the fleece backed winter golf gloves with the synthetic suede palm every time.  A spray with any of the waterproofing sprays on the backs works wonders in the wet. 

I managed to get some lead in the air today at Pinewood, 425 cartridges to be exact. I'm not a lover of gloves and like to keep things simple so put a bit of surgical tape on my finger joint.  No problems, fingers intact. So I'll try a different trigger, one that's not knurled.

👍

Late to pick this up but it reminds me of a gun my wife had with knurled trigger and that was very uncomfortable to use so I swapped it for a smooth gold job that was swept to the right providing a superb feel to the gun. I think that was a Miroku 3800 but not 100% sure but the bottom line was that it cured the issue.

Interesting about the gloves, I agree Macwets should be renamed to Macdrys, usless in the wet and whilst I don't often shoot in gloves (hot blooded) I like the idea of the winter golf gloves which might be worth having a pair in the bag just in case. Mind you it's all under cover at Beverley and for everywhere else I don't shoot in the rain anymore, too bloody old for that game.

Good luck with the new trigger.

Phil

As to gloves, I have a pair of soft fingerless leather for taking the dogs for a walk (and picking up after) and in my shooting bag a pair of Karrimor running gloves, soft silky and plenty of feel. Wet ot dry they're the same.

Taped over my finger again and shot a 50 bird without trigger/finger problems.

Following a tip from Westley I rang a shop that has a tub of spare triggers. A new smooth narrow arrived today and I've just fitted it. 

See how it goes tomorrow. If it's ok, I'll be trying to track down a silver coloured one🙄

20200104_174216.jpg

20200104_202350.jpg

If it works ok, try rubbing a part of the trigger that isn’t visible when it’s fitted with it with some polishing compound on a soft cloth - you may find the gold colour rubs off 

If it works ok, try rubbing a part of the trigger that isn’t visible when it’s fitted with it with some polishing compound on a soft cloth - you may find the gold colour rubs off 
I'll try that tomorrow, see if I can make it match😉

Well, the new trigger seems to have done the trick. Shot two 50 birders today and as I was on my own had to do the button pressing as well. I honestly never gave the trigger a second thought whilst using it as I had enough to think about. Soon as I came home the Mrs first question was did it work out. That was the first time I consciously thought about it and theres not a mark on my finger and definitely no soreness. 

Problem solved.

Thank you to everyone who commented and offered solutions especially Westley who put me onto a shop stocking spares.

😎👍👍

As V8 90, the gold finish starts to wear off pretty quickly so some very fine wire wool and polishing compound should get the rest off

Back