trap guns... abt, ot?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, Perazzi were advertised as the ' Ferrari ' of shotguns because they were the fastest handling gun around. I used to own a 29.5'' Perazzi for shooting ABT----spot on!!!!

Phil
as soon as i think i know what i'm going to do i read something like this and want one... aghhhh!

Newbie, what standard did u shoot to the first time round?

You've already decided it's gonna be a 29.5" Perazzi, only a matter of time before you admit it to yourself and buy one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As a junior is was selected for the welsh junior squad but i was very young and never actually shot for them as couldnt make the home inetrational as moved abroad. I then took a 15+year break. When i came back in 2003/4 i only lasted c12months (career got in the way) and within 6month was in AA for DTL. I never got a classification for UT/OT as I only ever shot 100-300 (mid 80s average IIRC). I'd never shot ABT until recently.

I'm back into trap as injury (RTA) has denied me my main sporting pursuits and i always loved clay shooting so I'm back as it makes me smile. I'm quite competitive so keen to hit some personal goals and hence want to learn from mistakes past.

Last edited by a moderator:
as soon as i think i know what i'm going to do i read something like this and want one... aghhhh!
I am a great believer in ' try before you buy ' and in most cases I have followed that method with one or two exceptions. I wish in many ways that I had never sold the Perazzi trap but as I was only shooting sporting at that time, I did not think I would use it much-----STUPID. If I could afford another now, I would have one, end of story.

Phil

what are beretta ase 90 like? anything to watch out on these and how long do they last? i have been made aware of one thats circa 10+years old, well used but might help me find my feet until i take the leap for an expensive gun.

what are beretta ase 90 like? anything to watch out on these and how long do they last? i have been made aware of one thats circa 10+years old, well used but might help me find my feet until i take the leap for an expensive gun.
would be surprised if a ASE 90 falls into the inexpensive bracket ?? had one for 5 years paid £3500 for it, nice gun to shoot 30.3/4" barrels if my memory serves me well. moved it on after mid ribs became loose, other than that it never missed a beat.

i'm just reading they had some mid rib issues. did it cost much to fix?

when you say never missed a beat and highlights of the gun and lowlights? What made it good?

If i read correctly they seem a blend between the DT10 and an SO....?

I would say it was very well made internally, virtually a SO grade, smooth and brilliant balance, patterns not as good as DT10 but still worth the monies, believe they did make a few in 32" but scarce as rocking horse sh*t.....£350 for ribs to be relaid but it never seemed to shoot at point of aim as good as it did before !!! check barrels with 2 lasers at 30m prior to parting with your £££

I would say it was very well made internally, virtually a SO grade, smooth and brilliant balance, patterns not as good as DT10 but still worth the monies, believe they did make a few in 32" but scarce as rocking horse sh*t.....£350 for ribs to be relaid but it never seemed to shoot at point of aim as good as it did before !!! check barrels with 2 lasers at 30m prior to parting with your £££
thats quite a concern where do u get lasers to test them?

thats quite a concern where do u get lasers to test them?
Methinks you are jumping around a little too much Newbie. Perhaps better to stick with your Miroku until you are SURE WHAT YOU WANT. Buying a gun right now with all sorts of ideas buzzing around is not the best way to progress in my opinion.

Phil

Methinks you are jumping around a little too much Newbie. Perhaps better to stick with your Miroku until you are SURE WHAT YOU WANT. Buying a gun right now with all sorts of ideas buzzing around is not the best way to progress in my opinion.

Phil
i will vouch for that.! Just been for a practice at brookbank and shot like a tool. worst yet! Tried a 30in ASE and it didnt fit so dont know why i tried but missed several! (17/18/19 and then a dire 15). When i swapped back to the 32in miroku i just couldnt find my timing. I liked the positive feel of the ASE and the faster pick up but just didnt know where it was shooting. patterned it at the end and it was almost flat, the miroku is 80/20 high at 20yds.

I took time at the end to have a fiddle with my timing and found that i'm better if i shoot a little quicker, as soon as i delay and take a more 'measured' approach i'm slow to the kill and or unreliable tending to 'point' at it and not pull through it. time for some lessons i thinks!

I am in no way qualified to really pass comment but for ME alone, I don't find a 32'' at trap any help at all because I find myself aiming and taking longer to shoot. With a 30'' gun, I shoot much quicker and by instinct rather than an aim, if that makes sense.

Phil

I am in no way qualified to really pass comment but for ME alone, I don't find a 32'' at trap any help at all because I find myself aiming and taking longer to shoot. With a 30'' gun, I shoot much quicker and by instinct rather than an aim, if that makes sense.

Phil
no, i can really understand that so it makes sense. i'm fannying about. off to SCSG tomorrow to look at a DT10. I def need an Adj stock.

well, i tried some UT today as OT wasnt on. Thats weird, a bit harder than OT i thought. 2 x 21s. Stumbled into a nice chap there who was practising for this weekends UT selections and tried his MX2003 with a 15mm rib. Man, that was awesome, just felt right, 29.5in felt like i had so much more time on the clays, was super fast and well balanced. I felt much more relaxed with my head held higher i assume due to the montecarlo stock being higher to maintain eye/rib posiiton (??? waffling here as no idea). Loved it but he wouldnt sell it.. :-( (gotta try). He said they were c£12k new?? ouch!

so, off to try a 35mm raised rib and see how that goes.

well, i tried some UT today as OT wasnt on. Thats weird, a bit harder than OT i thought. 2 x 21s. Stumbled into a nice chap there who was practising for this weekends UT selections and tried his MX2003 with a 15mm rib. Man, that was awesome, just felt right, 29.5in felt like i had so much more time on the clays, was super fast and well balanced. I felt much more relaxed with my head held higher i assume due to the montecarlo stock being higher to maintain eye/rib posiiton (??? waffling here as no idea). Loved it but he wouldnt sell it.. :-( (gotta try). He said they were c£12k new?? ouch!

so, off to try a 35mm raised rib and see how that goes.
Newbie where were you shooting?

Back