The AGM

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarachambers

It's going to be down to the wire and the votes on the floor as to whether the special resolution vote is carried.... it'll be worth a trip to Swindon! I hope people will come and think very carefully about the impact of how they cast their votes...

I'm in post operative convalescence but I've done a proxy in the old form giving Nicola an open vote on everything other than I've voted for Colin Butler for Chairman.  I refused to use the new proxy form which I regard as incomplete for this year and is designed to remove members voting rights in favour of a chairman who seems hell bent on trying to retain control and has not honoured his promises to members in my humble opinion.  This is not the sort of person that I want to see as chairman of our organisation.  Safe journey to everyone going and do your best for the members everyone.  Don't take any prevarication.  The members are entitled to ask questions of the directors specificaly on the accounts prior to their approval and adoption so try and phrase questions picking holes in the accounts.  Reduction in income from membership - surely a failure of the directors to engage the membership and disenchanted members have left - we have plenty of comment on here along those lines.  Ask for an analysis of the legal expenses, how many matters have been referred to solicitors, what are the matters - staff issues, member issues etc.  Give them hell so that they know they are on borrowed time - upset the members and they won't get re-elected!

I'm in post operative convalescence but I've done a proxy in the old form giving Nicola an open vote on everything other than I've voted for Colin Butler for Chairman.  I refused to use the new proxy form which I regard as incomplete for this year and is designed to remove members voting rights in favour of a chairman who seems hell bent on trying to retain control and has not honoured his promises to members in my humble opinion.  This is not the sort of person that I want to see as chairman of our organisation.  Safe journey to everyone going and do your best for the members everyone.  Don't take any prevarication.  The members are entitled to ask questions of the directors specificaly on the accounts prior to their approval and adoption so try and phrase questions picking holes in the accounts.  Reduction in income from membership - surely a failure of the directors to engage the membership and disenchanted members have left - we have plenty of comment on here along those lines.  Ask for an analysis of the legal expenses, how many matters have been referred to solicitors, what are the matters - staff issues, member issues etc.  Give them hell so that they know they are on borrowed time - upset the members and they won't get re-elected!
Hope your convalescence is going well Bobby. xx

what are the roads like there,ive got 5foot drifts here,thinking of setting off at 1 o,clock if i can get out of our lane, for the awards night.

Good morning all

Just grabbed a couple of minutes away from work to make a couple of comments regarding CPSA accounts, had chance to read through last night, needed something to help me get to sleep.

Thre appear to be some items that have incresed dramatically over previous years expenditure with no ex[planation, is it not good practice to outline reasons for increase -

1. Championship costs and prizes is over double the year before, why such a dramatic increase, have the costs of staging these events risen so much? Have the prizes increased dramatically? Would be nice for some narrative to explain!

2. Telephone an Fax - 3 times previous year expenditure, Why? Is this a result of all the telephone calls by the Board to their legal advisors over disputes this last year? How about and explanation?

3. Regional Support down by 20%. Should the Board not be providing more support to the regions to engage with members and recruit more members?

4. Legal and professional expenses - 3 times previous year expendiure, Why?

I hope all these questions are answered to the satisfaction of those members able to get to the AGM before the accounts are signed off.

Safe journey to all members attending The AGM, sorry I can't be there today.

The directors decided to withdraw the special resolution after an adjournment where they met with the honorary solicitor, honorary legal adviser and 2 other lawyers. In light of the proposed overhaul of the articles, they felt it best to withdraw it so as to avoid any risk of challenge.

The validity of proxies was also raised with various people raising concerns on the floor. In light of the meeting with all the lawyers, the directors again were concerned about risk of challenge in respect of various proxies. It was deemed by the board following that discussion was that the option least open to challenge was that all the proxies were set aside.

Following discussions and a resolution from the floor, it was determined that the AGM would continue but that, given the removal of proxies, there would be no vote on chairman. Terry bobbett would step aside and deputy chair would sit as chair until an EGM.

The EGM will be held in 6 months for a vote on chair and the new articles, which would be drawn up over the next six months and consulted on with the members and the regional boards in order that the proposed new articles can be put in pull magazine with a view for them being put in place. Those who wish to stand for chair will give a pen portrait of what they stand for put in the magazine.

Correct.

Well done to all who spoke up.

The membership has been protected and hope fully this time through proper consultation with the member.....they should get the job right.....by getting a proper framework which protects the members rights and still allows the board to progress the sport.

The full meeting was taped.

Interestingly the South West regional Director missed the AGM yet again despite it being held in his own region. I think that this could be the 4th AGM in a row that he has missed......!!

Last edited:
Obviously not there to feel the tenor of the meeting but it seems that they have taken the easy option to piss off the people not there by invalidating all proxies.  Who came up with this little gem of an idea as it sort of implies that there must have been some dodgy dealings with some of the proxies and they preferred to declare the lot null and void rather than risk a challenge.  So Terry Bobbett gets another chance to get his act together in 6 months time and I was disenfranchised at this meeting!

Like the idea of revising the articles to something modern and progressive whilst protecting the members. 

How many people were there?

How did the questions on the accounts go?

They have obviously racked up some more legal costs tonight!  The lawyers must love us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope Robert that was not what happened. This is a result for the protection of members rights.

What was pathetic is that only about 800 out of 23,000 returned a vote.

P.s. It was Colin who proposed that the vice chair stands in for chairman until the EGM.

Robert

It was the least worst option in the circumstances and taken after consulting with the lawyers in attendance (myself included).

If anything else had occurred, there would have been a greater risk of challenge by one side of other. £32k was spend by the Board on the East Midlands complaint. Everyone agreed another challenge would be bad for the membership.

As Nicola said, Colin proposed someone stand into chair pending EGM.

In the circumstances, this was a good result for both the board and the membership and may be a step towards more democracy and member engagement!

Latest posts

Back