The.17 hornet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Hi all, I know most on here are clay shooters like myself, but does anyone know anything about the .17 hornet. Are they accurate ? Will they kill foxes out to 250 (dead) ? Thumbhole or plastic? How much are the bullets? I have quiet a bit of experience with rifles but don't know anyone who has one. Looking to buy at weston park

Hi all, I know most on here are clay shooters like myself, but does anyone know anything about the .17 hornet. Are they accurate ? Will they kill foxes out to 250 (dead) ? Thumbhole or plastic? How much are the bullets? I have quiet a bit of experience with rifles but don't know anyone who has one. Looking to buy at weston park
Hi, they are very accurate , dead fox at 230yd  £80 per 100 rounds good little caliber and good fun. "TREAT YOURSELF"

just ordered three Savage rifles in, .270  another .17 hornet nv set up, .17 hmr . Bet they will take out charlie over 250

THUMBHOLE

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into geting one but ended up buying a 223 i pay £16.50 a box for 55g ballistic tips which really knock them over.and with a good mod on its not that loud.

One of my pals, a keeper, has shot a .17 Hornet for a couple of years now...yes, it will kill foxes to about 200m, if you put the bullet in the right place!!! If its windy, leave it at home, if its still and quiet, you don't want noise or if you want to minimise the risk of ricochets then .17 Hornet fits the bill!!! Yes they are as accurate as the man holding it is capable, they can be fussy with ammo, they need to be kept clean or the accuracy goes much faster than a larger caliber. Stock...personal choice...thumb hole, plastic, whatever...bullets are expensive for all they are, reloading is 'finicky'

One of my pals, a keeper, has shot a .17 Hornet for a couple of years now...yes, it will kill foxes to about 200m, if you put the bullet in the right place!!! If its windy, leave it at home, if its still and quiet, you don't want noise or if you want to minimise the risk of ricochets then .17 Hornet fits the bill!!! Yes they are as accurate as the man holding it is capable, they can be fussy with ammo, they need to be kept clean or the accuracy goes much faster than a larger caliber. Stock...personal choice...thumb hole, plastic, whatever...bullets are expensive for all they are, reloading is 'finicky'
Hi, i think you are talking about the .17hmr    .As the .17 Hornet is the new model out in the UK and is a centre fire.

Aye, a fun gun with certain limitations. Good if you want to see the target roll over after the shot, little recoil and quite accurate - on a still day.

Phil*

Hi, i think you are talking about the .17hmr .As the .17 Hornet is the new model out in the UK and is a centre fire.
No mate, I'm talking about .17 Hornet, center fire!!! .17 Hornets have been about for years, they necked down .22 Hornet cases before .17 Hornet cases were avalible...

Hi Ash, wait for the 17 super mag, 25 g at 2650 fps or 20 g at just over 3000 fps. The bullets will be far cheaper than 17 hornet.

But to be honest you won't go wrong with 223, it's a big ask to kill a fox over 220 yards with most small rounds and they are so wind effected. 223 or 222 are far better rounds for the longer stuff..

Thank you all for your replies, I wondered about stopping power because I do get some tricky foxes, I live on an estate appox 4,200 acres surrounded by public roads and have people lamping and shooting from the roadside almost weekly. As you can imagine this makes the many missed ones a bit skitty so sometimes need t take a longer shot than I would like. I have a 25/06 for the deer and is awesome on the foxes but a bit on the loud side. Had a rugar 204 once that was really good,I just like the sound of a small flat shooting round, and the thumb hole also looks lovely

Ever considered a .220swift, I used one and they are awesome. Here is the blurb on them.

"The .220 Swift is a semi-rimmed rifle cartridge developed by Winchester and introduced in 1935. It was the first factory loaded rifle cartridge with a muzzle velocity of over 4,000 ft/s (1,200 m/s). Until the introduction of the .223 WSSM the 220 Swift was the fastest commercial cartridge in the world.

The Swift is a large cased .224 caliber cartridge and bullet that was created for small game such as prairie dogs, groundhogs and other vermin (or "varmints" in the US) such as marmots. Upon its introduction it astounded the varmint hunting world by being fully 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) faster than its nearest competitor, which was the .22 Hornet (also .224 caliber).[5] It was found to be an extremely accurate cartridge as well.

Due to its very high velocity its bullet drop allows dead on sighting on game such as groundhogs to ranges out to 375 yd (343 m), and it is still considered an excellent cartridge for taking varmints by experienced Swift shooters."

Phil*

Last edited by a moderator:
.220 swift is an awesome round!!! Speed kills, unfortunately it also kills barrels and makes a serious BOOM!!!

The .17 hornet is a new round, only been out a "few months" Hornady 30gr bullet = 3650fps centre fire. The first bach of rifles just  come to the UK are from Savage Arms. Hornady say they are good for 300yds.

Thanks all again for your recent posts, just got in from local toy shop with a new .17 hornet , thumb hole laminate, mod, nighteater scope, bi pod, sling, slip, 100, 20 g bullets and new scope mounted laser light. Already got my trusty Swarovski on top.
Anyone want cheap nighteater?
That .220 swift sounds very interesting , will let you know how it all goes shortly

The .17 hornet is a new round, only been out a "few months" Hornady 30gr bullet = 3650fps centre fire. The first bach of rifles just come to the UK are from Savage Arms. Hornady say they are good for 300yds.
Joe, Precision Rifle Services is one of the rifle builders who have been making .17 Hornet Ackley's...

http://www.precisionrifles.com/custom-rifles/calibre-list/

There has been .17 Hornets about for years, nothing new about this round other than commercially loaded ammo...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_Hornet

Back