Testing 3 shot semi auto

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, I have test fired guns that I have carried out modifications/repairs on/to at a clay ground where I am known.

Tell them exactly what you are wanting to do,see if it cycles three cartridges and what shot weights it will handle etc,and I am sure they will let you use an unused stand for your testing. You don't need any clays to shoot at to do that.

Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, I reckon your best bet would to be take a box of 21g, 28g, and 30g down to the field where you shoot pigeons and try out the different loads through your gun, see what cycles and what won't, you don't need to shoot at anything just as you say familiarise yourself with the gun, loading and unloading and getting it so your competent and proficient handling it.

Just for the record one of the club guns at the club where I shoot most weekends is an auto like yours, it cycles 28g very well, however struggles with 24g and so I would guess 21g will fail miserably!

Once your happy with the cycling issue, you can take it too your local ground and get used too how it shoots and you need load no more than two cartridges. HAPPY DAYS!

It will definately save any potential issues which may arise by loading three shells up the local shoot, it will without doubt be "frowned" upon, it's bad enough using an auto, that will cause a few people to start twitching, if you load three shells the frowns will be that big it'll look like everyone is sporting a moustache made of their eyebrows!!

Good Luck with it anyway, I'm a big fan of auto's and I think they often get overlooked as a good competition tool.

CHILL OUT PEOPLE!! Glen as usual talks a lot of sense....there really shouldnt be an issue with loading three on a practice stand. Anyone who was at the Classic this year will have seen the 9 shot auto challenge at Churchills and as I seem to remember it was A) busy all day long B) A lot of fun to do C) Even more fun to watch. CPSA guidelines are there as a guideline, simples. There is no rule in law that says you cant shoot 3,5,7,8,9 or 11 shells at a clay target though you might get in trouble if you tried it on a grouse moor! And before anyone asks, yes I do have a 9 shot SX3 which i occasionally play with, great for flushes so long as you dont let it run empty!

I took it out the other week to the shooting ground and only loaded 2 cartridges at a time.

Using 27gm it only failed to feed 1 in 47 shots, I used 21gm second shot for 3 and got 3 different results, once ejected as good as the 27gm, once got stuck half way out and once it didn't even try to eject it.

And as a side note my score was better than usual, but took the over under out the following week and got the same score.

Cheers,

Tom

Auto's can be funny old things at times especially with different shells of manufacturers and especially different sizes like 24gram, 21gram etc.

I personally think from what I have seen and used is the Benelli are probably one of the most reliable nowadays although you can not break the good old Remi golden oldie, my first ever gun in 28bore and boy did it shoot some pigeons!!!. I admit I don't know the technical specs and all the technical crap that goes with each model and brand, all I care about is I can use the shell I want in it and it recycles well, and that it handles well of course. What else could you possibly want?

If i bought an auto for pigeon shooting or duck and geese whereby you are going to use the 3 shots regularly, then I would definitely test it at a practise clay ground to ensure it recycles my loads. Some grounds have restrictions on load size but most ground owners will let you test them if needed on the one off if you ask nicely. Failing that try it on some land you have the shooting rights on!! The ultimate test will come when out in the field but it is better to have some idea beforehand! The last thing you want is to get in a hide with your one brand of shell and find it wont recycle the shell properly thus spoiling a potentially good day!

Don't take it wrong mike I wasn't having a go just wondered why you say it's unsafe, I totally get your point.

Do grounds have rules for how many shots are permitted? I dont recall seeing signs up anywhere it then it has never mattered to me before, if I took a section 1 semi then in theory I could have 5 shots at a clay I have payed for. It may be that it is just an unwritten rule or only something you find out if you enquire or get a sec 1 licence.

I'm happy to just use 2 shots if that will give me the results I want, like you say fuz if it cycles with 2 then I can find out reliability only loading 2 at a time.

Cheers,

Tom
Show me where it says you can use a secton 1 for clays on a firearms licence. Dont think I have ever seen that. Why don't you try your 3 shot capacity on pigeons rather than clays???????????

Because I get more clay shooting than pigeon shooting at the moment and wanted to try it in a calmer environment than in the heat of the field.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm not keen on the idea of more than two shots in an auto for two clays. I may be over cautious but safety is my main concern, particularly on practice days. There are no refs to keep an eye on people and the thought of someone blazing away with 9 shots up the spout fills me with fear and dread! I sometimes see a large divot shot out of the ground about two metres in front of the cage and no one knows anything about it, no one at all. Not difficult to work out what happened though is it?

Lets keep it simple and safe, two clays, two cartridges.

I'm not keen on the idea of more than two shots in an auto for two clays. I may be over cautious but safety is my main concern, particularly on practice days. There are no refs to keep an eye on people and the thought of someone blazing away with 9 shots up the spout fills me with fear and dread! I sometimes see a large divot shot out of the ground about two metres in front of the cage and no one knows anything about it, no one at all. Not difficult to work out what happened though is it?

Lets keep it simple and safe, two clays, two cartridges.
yep i,d totally agree with this,i saw someone in camo gear walk out of the cage at a reg shoot in staffordshire,turn towards the crowd behind then eject a 3rd shell and catch it in his hand after he,d shot his last pair

Auto's can be funny old things at times especially with different shells of manufacturers and especially different sizes like 24gram, 21gram etc.

I personally think from what I have seen and used is the Benelli are probably one of the most reliable nowadays although you can not break the good old Remi golden oldie, my first ever gun in 28bore and boy did it shoot some pigeons!!!. I admit I don't know the technical specs and all the technical crap that goes with each model and brand, all I care about is I can use the shell I want in it and it recycles well, and that it handles well of course. What else could you possibly want?

If i bought an auto for pigeon shooting or duck and geese whereby you are going to use the 3 shots regularly, then I would definitely test it at a practise clay ground to ensure it recycles my loads. Some grounds have restrictions on load size but most ground owners will let you test them if needed on the one off if you ask nicely. Failing that try it on some land you have the shooting rights on!! The ultimate test will come when out in the field but it is better to have some idea beforehand! The last thing you want is to get in a hide with your one brand of shell and find it wont recycle the shell properly thus spoiling a potentially good day!
Thats exactly what happened to me went pgeon shooting on field of pea,s with a brand new berreta 3 shot auto,got there 7am,was asked not to shoot before 8am,so built hide sat watched pigeons coming in,5 to 8 put deeks out,sat backin hide in came 3 fluttering like butterflies,killed the first and 2nd cartridge wouldn,t cycle,was gutted pigeons were pouring in and i could only get single shot most of time,eventually rang home and got my over and under delivered to the field,but i was 1.5 hrs from home, managed 256 but was gutted would have smashed 300,wasn,t the shells it was the gun

Back