Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
65 at eriswell and 70 at barrow, both below my average.  Both shoots I had two particularly poor stands and the usual lots of one and two aways.  First time I've shot Registered comps at either of these grounds.  Shame that they are such a long journey, I'd love to shoot both of them again.

It was too bloody hot.
We were going to Barrow but even for us it’s a trek.  I really enjoy that ground and the targets, not too hard or easy but each stand makes you think.  Didn’t go in the end as it was just too hot to take the dog and we have no one to look after her plus she would NOT let us out the house without her whilst carrying the guns!!

Going to Owls for sport trap tomorrow.  Shot it quite well for me last month so hoping to carry it on.  

We were going to Barrow but even for us it’s a trek.  I really enjoy that ground and the targets, not too hard or easy but each stand makes you think.  Didn’t go in the end as it was just too hot to take the dog and we have no one to look after her plus she would NOT let us out the house without her whilst carrying the guns!!

Going to Owls for sport trap tomorrow.  Shot it quite well for me last month so hoping to carry it on.  
We're up in Norfolk for a week's break in a cottage next to the River Bure. I abandoned my husband with the dogs and stole his car for the day, less than 60 miles from where we're staying. I don't think he minded too much, he got a days peace to spend fishing.

Shot JBD's 100 reg ESP today in a rather capable squad which included Scott Collett and Henry Arnold 👏  and was pleased not to disgrace myself with a 91, three behind HG as we left. I have been meaning to say young James Bradley-Day really deserves credit for getting this place up and running on such a relatively compact and featureless area, it really is amazing how he's managing to squeeze 12 stands into such a small place albeit it obviously has to be run in a squadded format. The shooting points are literally a few meters apart but don't let that fool you into thinking there'll be no variety or difficulty; sure he could do with a tower or platform or two but all thing considered he has my unreserved admiration, there's plenty to miss there if you get caught off guard and his experience at shooting at various venues here and abroad is easy to see. 

Unfortunately we did have one or two stands that produced no end of no birds but these things happen and it's more than likely due to worn rubber arms or something which will I am sure be rectified. Handing us all a box of shells and apologising for the delays was a nice touch. 

Shot JBD's 100 reg ESP today in a rather capable squad which included Scott Collett and Henry Arnold 👏  and was pleased not to disgrace myself with a 91, three behind HG as we left. I have been meaning to say young James Bradley-Day really deserves credit for getting this place up and running on such a relatively compact and featureless area, it really is amazing how he's managing to squeeze 12 stands into such a small place albeit it obviously has to be run in a squadded format. The shooting points are literally a few meters apart but don't let that fool you into thinking there'll be no variety or difficulty; sure he could do with a tower or platform or two but all thing considered he has my unreserved admiration, there's plenty to miss there if you get caught off guard and his experience at shooting at various venues here and abroad is easy to see. 

Unfortunately we did have one or two stands that produced no end of no birds but these things happen and it's more than likely due to worn rubber arms or something which will I am sure be rectified. Handing us all a box of shells and apologising for the delays was a nice touch. 
Well shot & we all had a little bit of unluckyness today, after the shoot..i went through a few things with James & tweaked a few traps to ease that NB issue......Nice to meet you !!

I can't imagine many grounds doing that....

Credit where credits due, he really is a stand up chap 👍

College Farm today, after 2 weeks off shooting. I think it doesn’t hurt actually.. It was hotter than I thought, with very low wind.

Missed first target out in front, then knuckled down for a 94. I really enjoyed it as there was nothing brutally hard, but also only one or two filler targets, so a good medium test on most stands, with some decent longer targets. If you were having an off day you could miss in many places. Nick Portlock leads on a 96 from yesterday. Friday still to go.

The ground has had new paths put in, making this place better than ever. Always enjoyable. We did have one trap with bad no birds, but they found the clays had melted into Pringle shapes.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Longridge, very very hot, poor choice of clothes so got very sweaty and shot as poor as I ever have, oh well roll on next one.

Nick Portlock 89 when I left

Oh made the cardinal sin of watching a AAA straight a stand with “ease” took into the stand that very same thought, oh dear 5 away 🤡 that I am 

I wasn’t going out today but did so went to Honesberie.  Found it too hot for my liking and quite difficult.  I’m seriously thinking of donating my time to giving lessons to their scorers on the rules!  Tony did want to go to Horne for the double but time was short and I won so home we went.

I wasn’t going out today but did so went to Honesberie.  Found it too hot for my liking and quite difficult.  I’m seriously thinking of donating my time to giving lessons to their scorers on the rules!  Tony did want to go to Horne for the double but time was short and I won so home we went.
Not been there, however there are other grounds that have “confused” scorers, mind you from what Ive experienced recently there are also a number of shooters that have a gap or two concerning the basic rules for English Sporting. 

Will share the “too hot” feeling, am too old & too unfit for long days in the sun like today 

Will share the “too hot” feeling, am too old & too unfit for long days in the sun like today 
Wuss. Easy for you shooters, some of us slaves at Longridge were out in the full sun for over 6 hours.

I'm currently at home enjoying a well earned bottle of Corona Extra. Errm.. Make that 2 bottles.

Wuss. Easy for you shooters, some of us slaves at Longridge were out in the full sun for over 6 hours.

I'm currently at home enjoying a well earned bottle of Corona Extra.
Sat down quaffing cold pop 🥤humiliating us old uns as  our shooting goes down the 🚽 at our feeble attempts to lugg around too many carts / glasses / bottles lukewarm water & guns, the odd smirk 😁 as another 0 goes on card, and I hear you get paid 💷 to do it too, 😅 

Thank you chap, that was warm, look after yourself 👍

Widdington was warmer than I expected and thanks to a huge q on my last stand, my no sun cream strategy didn’t work.. 

A great course with about 5 stands I would call a strong test. I dropped 10 targets in three stands, plus some sillies from a flinch, a fly that looked like my clay and one or two other messy moments. Finished on 86.

160 CPSA entries, (plus a good few non CPSA) with HG for Rudling on 94 and only two other people exceeding 90. 

Well it was another scorching weekend out shooting. On Saturday I went for some practice clays in a very informal environment but still managed to shoot with some form (something that's been as lacking as the rain of late). On Sunday I shot Honesberie and I think they got the balance spot on for this shoot. I struggled with the driven stand that, due to bar placement, forced shooters to take them early which i've never been able to do. 1/10 on that stand!

Ended on 75/100 which would have been a much stronger score if it wasn't for that one bad stand.

Also, got a nice photo:

DSC_9339 by Doug, on Flickr

I was very hot at Widdington last Sunday. Owls Lodge is predicted 5 or 6 degrees hotter on Thursday and I'm booked on 12.30 squad! Oh well, if its going badly i can just claim heatstroke.. Sorry folks, but you will be seeing my legs.. Hopefully the glare may put others off their shooting.

I was very hot at Widdington last Sunday. Owls Lodge is predicted 5 or 6 degrees hotter on Thursday and I'm booked on 12.30 squad! Oh well, if its going badly i can just claim heatstroke.. Sorry folks, but you will be seeing my legs.. Hopefully the glare may put others off their shooting.
Dont stop there, headkercheif, string vest & flip flops too 😳

So you can legally wear a 'wifebeater' then and show off those muscles. 👍
Nope.  a) in the above would rule that out - no nakedness of limbs, other than lower arms or legs.

I'm surprised I haven't been denied entry in the past for wearing my favourite shooting trainers and cap.  Both excessively worn and dishevelled (but very comfy).

Latest posts

Back