Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Orston was hit with more disaster today as well. Gun stolen last week, this week blue Nissan navarra with a dog in the back taken from the car park. Big push on social media to try and get the dog back which is recovering from recent surgery. 
Saw that.  I think we must have left about 20 minutes before it was taken. Glad they didn't decide they wanted a motorhome, would have been an absolute bugger trying to get home to Sussex.  I really feel for the dog owner.  Losing a car is annoying, losing your dog is a tragedy.

Just shot Horne - I shouldn’t have bothered due to the time. 7 stands in direct sun - I just threw the gun and hoped as just couldn’t see them. Lesson learned - go in the morning. And maybe but some 10ED. An embarrassing score, practically straighted all the other stands. Oh well purged from memory onto the next. 🙈
How can grounds get things that wrong. One sun affected stand is bad but 7 is unbelievable. It shouldn't be a surprise it's in the sky every day.

Shot 9 Stands directly into the sun at Podimore today.  I didn’t end on a bad score and some of the targets were pretty decent but overall I don’t think I will be heading back. 

How can grounds get things that wrong. One sun affected stand is bad but 7 is unbelievable. It shouldn't be a surprise it's in the sky every day.
I have a level of sympathy (I believe that’s one of the reasons why they close entries at 2pm) due to the fact it’s effectively a huge open field with stands all points outwards - Court Farm I’m referring to. The sun is going to get you at some point during the day.

Unfortunately I had little choice but to shoot late today given other commitments. 

Kegworth for us. Two stands in direct sun. Waited for cloud cover to shoot both. Other than that a decent round which I would say , looking at scores , shot harder than it looked. Had fun , stayed dry. 90 for me . Super 87 for Mrs Jasper

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kegworth had limited ground to work with today due to flooding but the stands that were sun affected could have been easily showing different targets to minimise problem. 

Jasper.

Kegworth had limited ground to work with today due to flooding but the stands that were sun affected could have been easily showing different targets to minimise problem. 

Jasper.
Agree.  Personally I shot it in a flustered state as although we had 2 hrs to get there from Garlands we were seduced by a sat nav in our courtesy car which took us in the wrong direction arriving a few minutes before last card!  Sun, white clay going away into white cloud, a black low quartering in hard to pick up and to add insult to injury it was paired with a white one you could see.   I didn’t shoot well at Garlands either but apart from a teal I found  hard to pick up I could see it all I just couldn’t hit them all.  I’m sloppy as well but I am so tired at the moment.  The journey home was horrendous and was 4 hrs, makes me very reluctant to venture far at the moment.

Kegworth for us. Two stands in direct sun. Waited for cloud cover to shoot both. Other than that a decent round which I would say , looking at scores , shot harder than it looked. Had fun , stayed dry. 90 for me . Super 87 for Mrs Jasper. 

Jasper. 
Well done Mrs Jasper

I did Garlands yesterday too....some tricky stuff on yesterday, finished on a disappointing 79. Thing is there were some tricky targets on which caught me out....but if I’d hit all the ones I should have I’d have been mid 80’s. Mr Husthwaite won on 94, but scores overall were quite suppressed by class average. 

For us Southerners - On Sunday I tried out Mill Farm shoot at Lurgashall, just north of Petworth. (I'm doing less REG shoots until my mojo shows signs of returning, it's a pressure thing.)

This shoot won't be for everyone on this site so don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.  It's normally 50 birds but this time it was a 70 bird Xmas shoot, we were thinking about going round twice but there wasn't time. It was 7 stands of 10 targets (not everyone's cup of tea, not normally mine either.)  I actually enjoyed it, Despite the queues because of the Xmas event, the targets were interesting, good enough if you are looking for a Sunday morning kick about.

2 weeks ago we did Cottesloe heath at Bisley, this is a non REG 100 birder and is one of the monthly, open shoots at Bisley. Most are held at Long Siberia but the few Cottesloe Heath shoots are worth winkling out as (I think) the setup more pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed Owls today, instead some practice then a couple rounds of skeet.

Had a bit of a falling out with some idiot who felt it was acceptable to continue to eject his shells over his shoulder directly onto the floor time and time again. I politely reminded the chap the bin was no more than a foot in front of him and it’d be easy to save someone a job to which he replied with a “sod off” and a dead stare.

I’ll leave the next part of the dialogue to your imagination.

Why do some shooters have such little respect for the ground, staff and fellow shots? 

Southdown and Horne today.  Went early to Southdown and shot the Sportrap first but there was only Tony  and I on the squad and I HATE that.  He couldn’t care less if he’s the only one but it really messes with me and I just got crosser and crosser until last layout I couldn’t give a fig anymore.  Then on to sporting and today was very windy.  I did okay but some were very wind affected, few colours and one stand I would actually say was unacceptable to stand in.  Stand 10 I think with the going away green and orange. It slopes downwards, you can’t stand correctly and a colt nearly fell forwards today whilst shooting.  Given all the great work they’ve done there with stands, this   always disappoints me when it is clearly not suitable.  Went on to Horne, only my third time this year.  It wasn’t as windy but of course the light was going and agains colour, edge on got me a few times.   Missed a very basic teal 3 times!  The bonus today was picking up winnings from both grounds to the tune of £200 so today’s shooting only cost £40 result.  I appear to have won Ladies Sportrap which is embarrassing with my score and sporting which isn’t so embarrassing and I think Horne as well.

Good to see you Sian, and yeah, the targets were so wind affected. I had some really good stands then some where the targets were never the same! I had to shuffle about in quite a few of the stands today just to get it level and nearly got blown sideways on one of the platforms.  Finished on 67 which I was embarrassed about but looking at the scores it wasn’t that bad!

Good to see you Sian, and yeah, the targets were so wind affected. I had some really good stands then some where the targets were never the same! I had to shuffle about in quite a few of the stands today just to get it level and nearly got blown sideways on one of the platforms.  Finished on 67 which I was embarrassed about but looking at the scores it wasn’t that bad!
Good to see you too.  I lost 7 on that stand 10 between the wind, not being comfortable and finding the green hard to see just frustrating.  There were a few where I had to lean against the stand to keep steady.  

Went, for the first visit for near 2 years to College Farm today, pleasant ground, jolly decent squad of chums and very good shots they are all too. Despite the grounds size the thought put into the targets made for a very enjoyable course. Me I was in fairyland at start, missed the roll call and not watching had to shoot St1 blind, to say it threw me was understatement it was my own fault. After then blanking St6 and not ever looking like finding them, gun in slip and slope off tail between legs to car & home looked a good shout. Did though feel that those two stands apart I shot as well as Id like too. In squad Ade Johnson shot a superb 97 and is HG at present. Having seen thursdays forecast doubt if EJC will get a visit from I, good luck to those hardy souls going 

Went, for the first visit for near 2 years to College Farm today, pleasant ground, jolly decent squad of chums and very good shots they are all too. Despite the grounds size the thought put into the targets made for a very enjoyable course. Me I was in fairyland at start, missed the roll call and not watching had to shoot St1 blind, to say it threw me was understatement it was my own fault. After then blanking St6 and not ever looking like finding them, gun in slip and slope off tail between legs to car & home looked a good shout. Did though feel that those two stands apart I shot as well as Id like too. In squad Ade Johnson shot a superb 97 and is HG at present. Having seen thursdays forecast doubt if EJC will get a visit from I, good luck to those hardy souls going 
Yesterday I shot while standing in a wind tunnel while somebody pointed a pressure washer at me. Actually come to think of it, I was at College Farm too. It didn’t go well. 

Had the day booked off to go to EJC, almost wish I had after the awful attempt at getting to work by train this morning, but looking out of the window at the moment calling it quits was definitely the right thing to do.

I might actually manage to get out and shoot this weekend. It’s been a month since gum surgery and over six weeks since I shot last.... wonder if I still know how to do it....

Back