Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another nice day out at Southdown and even nicer to be out with Rosso again.

Shot well today, 87 on the Sporting and 82 on the Sportrap giving me 2nd place in class for both.

Another nice day out at Southdown and even nicer to be out with Rosso again.

Shot well today, 87 on the Sporting and 82 on the Sportrap giving me 2nd place in class for both.
Well done, 3 bad stands did for me on the sporting 2/8, 2/8 and 3/8 so finished on a 72.  Sportrap I can't remember the total but that's okay because I got 25 on the third layout which made my day ?

Well done, 3 bad stands did for me on the sporting 2/8, 2/8 and 3/8 so finished on a 72.  Sportrap I can't remember the total but that's okay because I got 25 on the third layout which made my day ?
Same to you Sian, that wasn't an easy layout by any means ?

Pleasant afternoon at EJ Churchills today with a special guest who found himself a bit further south than usual ?

Thank heavens it wasn't chucking it down with rain, just a bit blustery which blew the odd target off course which would have been the same for everyone.

Pretty happy with my 85, just messed up on 11 in the pit where I missed the last three targets and on 5 where I missed three of the teal trying to take them on the way down, need some practice on that type of target.

Well managed to get away late and meet Tony for the reg at EJC and despite having to carry his gear as well as my own due to his bad knee which has played up rotten the last few weeks, I managed a PB of 86 - well chuffed.

image.jpeg

Well managed to get away late and meet Tony for the reg at EJC and despite having to carry his gear as well as my own due to his bad knee which has played up rotten the last few weeks, I managed a PB of 86 - well chuffed.

View attachment 5800
Well, no very well done you, if you like you can carry my bag a gun around next time as well and who knows another PB could be then be on the cards, 

Barbury shooting school.

Doesn't show up on the CPSA website map. Just south of the Swindon exit of the M4.

stopped for a sneaky round on Wednesday afternoon. Really welcoming crowd, nicely maintained and presented ground and clubhouse. Sporting and compact layouts, we grabbed a quick 50 compact to enter their compact challenge, won't be challenging much but it was a fun break. Good targets.

must return to do their sporting layout.

View attachment 5800
Sian that's awesome. You're smashing it lately!

I thought C class was safe now that Paul has rightly been booted up to B  :cool:

Today I went to the Three Lions Clay Shoot near Mannington, not far from Verwood.

It's a small layout placed round what I assume may have been gravel workings, so the ground is a bit uppy-downy, there's a large pond in the middle, and there's vegetation and trees around for a very varied backdrop. The targets there have their own character, and there's a heap of variety. Fast crossing loopers, towering pairs, a report pair of rabbits where the second one had a ski-jump built into its path, and a slow approaching shot simultaneous with an crosser over the water. All a bit different, all quite challenging and great fun. The most daunting for me was the last stand, four pairs, where we were shooting into a small sloping valley. A fast yellow/lime crosser from left to right  passed below the stand while simultaneously a pink dayglo jobbie crossed from right to left a bit higher. Those that know me also know that I have immense difficulty seeing these flourescent clays; today was no different.

I'm getting much more in tune with my F3 after a bit of experimentation with the balance weights in the stock - I've written elsewhere about the marked difference in feel and improvement in scores that a small shift in the point of balance makes, for me at any rate. I am swinging it better, shots are becoming more intuitive, and the performance dip that I reported soon after acquiring it is headed towards the exit. Today the gun felt good, and still shooting the fibre version of the Lyalvale English Sporter cartridges that I picked up from Purbeck I managed a 25 ex 40 on my first round. It was the coloured stuff that did then most damage. I was actually quite pleased with that apart from the one bogey stand.

After a much needed break for a drink (It was hot today, I had forgotten that it can get warm in England!) A couple of us reckoned there was time to get another round in, so off we went. I still couldn't actually nail the first stand - the pair of simultaneous crossers defied my attempts to clobber both, but things picked up after that. Shooting the Lyalvales, a few Hull Pro Fibres, and a couple of cartridges whose origin I have forgotten but which bear  the legends "Fibre", and "28G", I managed to do a bit better.

The final stand - the one with the blaze targets - was different. The clays were projected at the same pace, they crossed at the same point and at the same height. But for some bizarre reason I could see them both clearly and managed to only miss one of the eight.

I finished with 34 ex 40, and I was very happy with that.

I attend three local shoots that run once a month-ish. Three Lions, Pilford, and Somerley. It is very noticeable that all three have very different characters, a different approach to target setting. This is the second time I've been to Three Lions and it won't be the last. As an aside the stands there are UPVC pipe, much friendlier that steel! They have (like Pilford and Somerley) a loo, and coffee, and the all-important, nay  vital, bacon baps.

A good morning, and back in time to watch the Mens final at Roland Garros. Excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
The summer finally booted up in the South East. 9 miles of rhodedendrom crammed hedgerows on the way to Dragon at Colgate this morning.

Cracking morning, lovely and warm and a gentle breeze. Good targets over 12 stands, well attended, in fact getting busy by about 11, as we were finishing. This shoot is a popular unreg one and well worth the visit. The report pair in the stream bed had my number and the second bird escaped my misdirected probings so I dropped 4 just there. A few more silly mistakes but I came away with a satisfactory 85x100. A bit of application and a 90 was entirely doable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a good day at Barrow Heath Shooting Ground today. 

Started off badly dropping 4 on the relatively stand 1, thought to myself here we go again but managed to regain focus and not let that ruin my day. Had a couple of iffy stands on stands 8 and 10 but ended up with a pb of 82 and was 8 clays clear at the top of C class when I left at half 3. 
Fingers crossed the score holds and I get my first class win! 

Maybe some of the stuff Ed Solomon's told me soaked in ?

A very enjoyable Kent selection shoot at Willow Farm, firm in places with some very good distances, dropped 4x8 on my first stand, another 2 on the next but very pleased not to have crashed and burned as I only dropped 3 more on the rest for 91 and second behind kevin Howland's 93. 

Hot day started at Longridge which I thoroughly enjoyed only wish I could get there more often finished on a 71/100 which was enough for second in C.  Then on to Westfield where it was really hot but enjoyed the shoot, only one stand causing a bit of delay, I took to the shade but lots sitting in the sun.  Finished on an 81/120 which I wish I could have improved but got tired hot and sticky.  Was going to try for Northampton but would have been cutting it fine so decided I would have two goes on the challenge which I really enjoyed although found it a challenge trying to remember where the targets were going to come from as there is no board to tell you.  Was particularly happy to get the C bird several times - if you were there you'll know what it was like.  Journey home as always from there traffic filled with a rather exciting moment on the A40 when a focus in the fast lane didn't stop in time and ploughed into the back of a Range Rover causing the focus to turn facing the barrier.  Two other cars trying to get out the way swerved into the middle lane, one of them catching the back corner of a car already in the middle lane and all just behind us.

Shoot Podimore today 100 birds over 15 stands, some very challenging and tricky birds, lots of 3 pair stands and one Mini and a 70mm combination, managed a 70 ex 100 to finish 5 in C pretty pleased with that. Hazel my wife shot a PB of 50 today and she was over the moon with this. Only downside today was the trip home, it took us 1hr 15 minutes to get there but 2 hrs and 6 minutes to get home up the A303

A very enjoyable Kent selection shoot at Willow Farm, firm in places with some very good distances, dropped 4x8 on my first stand, another 2 on the next but very pleased not to have crashed and burned as I only dropped 3 more on the rest for 91 and second behind kevin Howland's 93. 
I shot the Clubman League there on Saturday.  Stand 6 had a left-right looper out at 50-60 yards and a right to left crosser in line with the bank which must be approaching 70 yards.  Wonder if they left that on for Sunday?

Pilford this morning attracted fewer people at the start, perhaps the threat of drizzle was putting them off until it started to clear. Stand 1's first bird had a left to right looper that begged to be taken early, it fooled me twice. The second stand started with a low-ish going away shot; I had three of 'em but was totally baffled with a shot that I knew was dead right as I pulled the trigger. I didn't snatch or flinch, it was a perfect shot - and the target just sailed away unscathed. Dammit. Ok on stand three with two trailing right to left gentle loopers, and stand four with a teal followed by one of those almost straight up and down birds. 

Stand five had a left to right rabbit followed by a rising curling bird. The rabbit was slow and close, with a defined jump at just the spot where you wanted to kill it. Trouble was the jump was either small or large, so I waited - but no jump, rabbit slowed. Missed ahead, twice. Double dammit.

Ended up with 35 ex 40, cross with myself about the rabbit, still puzzling about the going away bird, and telling myself I must think harder about the other two.

There was no drizzle, no breeze to speak of, and it was a good morning. I always enjoy Pilford.

I would have loved to shoot Gunsite this morning but I was at a wedding yesterday so wasn't in the most competitive state this morning :) 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back