Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I was straight after your squad on stands 5 & 6. I was the chap shooting solo with a navy musto skeet vest and black cap.

Very nice score Dan. I was happy enough with an 81. Dropped 7 on the first 7 stands and 12 on the last 5.

Nice to meet Dean after chatting on here a few times.

I see they changed the shoot time after I made an effort to get there before 2pm.
Stand 6 the slow l-r crosser up in the air, I was the one who changed his mind 4-5 times each target and still missed most of them! Will no doubt catch up again soon enough 

Gunsite today. Lovely weather. Good shoot. However, I ruined my score with three terrible stands. Stand 1 sim pair, stand 10 sim pair and stand 11 rabbit & high crosser. They firmly put me in my box. Ignore the 3 screw ups and I was 66/72, however, I ended up on 73/100. 

Sunday was glorious weather for shooting went to Gunsite and Westfield - both good shoots which comes as no surprise to anyone.  I felt happy with my scores 82/100 and 76/100 respectively as I was suffering badly from stomach ache which just gripped me in waves throughout the day along with nausea and to the point that at Westfield I had to lie down every so often as I went around the course - sorry to have alarmed the man who followed us around the course!  Was tucked up in bed by 9 pm but still not right today.

A weekend of below (CPSA) average scores but a couple stands I was very pleased with which are the memories I keep from the shoot. 

Saturday was the Premier League final at Owls Lodge. The targets were fantastic and actually quite different in style to those that I normally shoot. Despite the driving rain and a disagreement with a pair of fellow shooters I managed to straight a few stands but also managed to drop some very silly birds. The chap and his mate were very upset to find that after standing around watching previous shooters they were not allowed to see a pair. I had to back the ref up as he was quite right and it's quite a lonely place when you've got people arguing with you. 

Sunday saw a trip to 'the local'....Westfield. 'Kin ell that was a firm one. Turns out there was an International shoot there the day before. Pro: get to shoot a major shoot for a normal registered price. Con: loads of international shooters were shooting it for the second or third time so made targets look easy (they weren't!). I started strong only dropping 3 targets after 3 stands but it went down hill on 4-10! I even blanked a stand which I haven't done for a long time. 

Anyway, two very good shoots with some testing elements. Will continue to lick the wounds during the week and get ready to go back out again next weekend :-D

It was so great to see success from ShootClay'ers this weekend. Especially @Sian with her success in the Premier League. 

You weren’t alone. I blanked stand 4 at Owls and also not done that for a long time. Luckily I pulled myself together and managed to straight a few at the top of the course including stand 13 to finish on 73. Actually a PB at Owls which has been somewhat of a bogey ground for me.

Sunday I wasn’t planning on shooting but the wife announced she was off to the stables so that was the only encouragement I needed. Went down to Horne and managed a registered PB of 85. Messed up 2 stands just from lack of concentration. Won’t be able to sandbag in C Class for much longer.

Overall a lot happier with my shooting in recent weeks after some gun tweaks in a gunfit session with David Beardsmore at Doveridge when the pattern plate showed I was shooting high and right and he suggested my stock is too short. After some tweaks its feeling a lot better. Wish I had done it a long time ago.

Interesting weekend for me. On Saturday I figured it was worth seeing what all the Fedecat buzz was about so me and a friend headed off to Windrush for the shoot.

Now this will show how new I am to shooting. I was caught out as I didn't know it was an all day event (so had to send some apologetic messages once I found out); I also only took 135 cartridges to cover the 120 bird event. 

The targets were incredible. All killable but you had to work for every single one. The joy of breaking some of them from hoop 3 actually brought a smile to my face. 

High Gun finished on 88% so that should show the standard of targets! 

The last 4 outings have been to hard shoots including international standard etc. So I figured a nice gentle Sunday morning at a local shoot was in order. In fact, it's one of the grounds I first went to when I started shooting and was thrilled to hit 50%. It's not a corporate type ground but obviously nowhere near the standard of Owls Lodge/Westfield. I managed 46/50 and really should have straighted the card. 

Whilst it's an achievement that's worth nothing it's at least given me proof that getting a bit of a beat down at big shoots week in week out IS making me a better shooter, slowly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunsite today. Lovely weather. Good shoot. However, I ruined my score with three terrible stands. Stand 1 sim pair, stand 10 sim pair and stand 11 rabbit & high crosser. They firmly put me in my box. Ignore the 3 screw ups and I was 66/72, however, I ended up on 73/100. 
Screwed up the high crosser didn't read the board (Midi) started in front and got further away....Doh!

A last minute trip to Owls Lodge yesterday and almost didn’t make it due to traffic on the A303 as the police were offloading what looked like illegal immigrants from a lorry.

Glad I made it as lovely shooting weather and managed to get around in 50 minutes to hit a registered PB of 87 which won C class and 11th overall. One of those days where your shooting is super smooth and the clays look like they are in slow mo. What made it better was that Owls has always been a bogey ground for me as prior to the Premier League round I had never even broken into the 70’s there and finally managed to hit a 73 at the Premier League.

Last edited by a moderator:
A last minute trip to Owls Lodge yesterday and almost didn’t make it due to traffic on the A303 as the police were offloading what looked like illegal immigrants from a lorry.

Glad I made it as lovely shooting weather and managed to get around in 50 minutes to hit a registered PB of 87 which won C class and 11th overall. One of those days where your shooting is super smooth and the clays look like they are in slow mo. What made it better was that Owls has always been a bogey ground for me as prior to the Premier League round I had never even broken into the 70’s there and finally managed to hit a 73 at the Premier League.
Well done, love clay days like that

This 'getting round in 50mins' spoils it for me I'm afraid. If I've invested the best part of a hundred quid to go shooting I would like it last a bit longer than that. Same with Fitasc, all this business of 'if we get a move on we can finish by lunch time' is rubbish. Its killing Fitasc too, truth be known.

This 'getting round in 50mins' spoils it for me I'm afraid. If I've invested the best part of a hundred quid to go shooting I would like it last a bit longer than that. Same with Fitasc, all this business of 'if we get a move on we can finish by lunch time' is rubbish. Its killing Fitasc too, truth be known.
I think Fitasc could be improved a bit time wise but I agree, just don't see the point in jumping from stand to stand where ESP is concerned, it's not just about firing at targets. 

I arrived late so the ground was pretty much empty. If it means I get the chance to whizz from work on a weekday afternoon and get some shooting in then its all good. I much prefer that to standing waiting 20-30mins to shoot a stand. Weekends I am all for a more relaxed pace.

Have shot a course in a hour in good company and its been a memorable day, also had shoots take over 3 hours one took 5! and they are memorable for the wrong reason, I can see merits in both Wylie and P1's comments though, as for fitasc 4 hours is enough for me, the now all day for 100 targets is, for this old fossil sadly too long. 

It's a balance thing.  50 mins after a work day is great especially if you have family commitments - I don't.  The more important part was his PB - excellent.  Shooting an average course that takes 4 or even 5 hours (ESP) is irritating especially if you want to do two shoots.  That in itself seems to be frowned on but some people (again not really me as I can shoot in the week - just greedy) have only Sunday to fill their shooting boots.  I love Fitasc, albeit I'm still learning but the breaks do my head in.  They are often far too long even if you are being sociable.

Personaly i feel that if there are a few empty stands its extra hard to build a score as you often go into shoot that stand blind!!, being shown 1 pair isnt always the best approach when wanting to do your best ?.

Attending a mid-week shoot is great if time & location allows but you cant expect it to be like a weekend event can you ?

Agree that most shooters lead busy lives, with work & family commitments which is one of the reasons why FITASC is loosing its interest by many.Other factors are not enough consistent pulling of the trigger for some as many like to do two shoots in a day !!..finaliy some are put off by the costs !!!

Just saying !!!!!!!!!!!   :angel: :angel:   

For me it's a stamina thing. I have only tried FITASC once, and was absolutely cream crackered at the end of it. The duration was entirely down to the format of the day, with a lunch break built in, but it was too much for my decrepit body to cope with.

I much prefer a mid-week squadded registered shoot, at my local club the youthful referee/button-pusher/scorers crack on at a decent pace with me puffing along behind; I'm usually just about OK when we finish.

I shot the last-but-one shoot at Somerley today, we were round in an hour and a half. Mind you that's only 50 birds. I enjoyed it immensely, it's a good fun shoot designed as an informal event for all abilities, and will be a shame to see it go after the next one. It's not as stiff as a registered competition, which can lead you into over-confidence and a resulting lapse in concentration. That cost me a few today.

Shot Churchills yesterday. Pretty busy as arrived just after 12 and I was entry # 86. Tricky course and the wind didn’t help. Tale of two halves for me – I dropped 6 in the first 6 stands and 17 in the last 6 stands to finish on a 77. Was enough for joint 2nd in C class.

Shot Churchills yesterday. Pretty busy as arrived just after 12 and I was entry # 86. Tricky course and the wind didn’t help. Tale of two halves for me – I dropped 6 in the first 6 stands and 17 in the last 6 stands to finish on a 77. Was enough for joint 2nd in C class.
76 for me - pipped me to the post :)   I felt I dropped four that really should not have been dropped but the rest I deserved to lose.  Good shoot I thought, blowy at times.

76 for me - pipped me to the post :)   I felt I dropped four that really should not have been dropped but the rest I deserved to lose.  Good shoot I thought, blowy at times.
Likewise I dropped 4 that were just silly. 2 others I can blame on wind and 1 rabbit that jumped on me. Stand 1 was most affected by wind. Watching shooters in front of me the 2nd away bird was all over the place. Luckily mine were all ok on that stand. I was disappointed with 77 but when you see HG is 93 you dont feel so bad ..

Likewise I dropped 4 that were just silly. 2 others I can blame on wind and 1 rabbit that jumped on me. Stand 1 was most affected by wind. Watching shooters in front of me the 2nd away bird was all over the place. Luckily mine were all ok on that stand. I was disappointed with 77 but when you see HG is 93 you dont feel so bad ..
Yep I was thinking that when I looked at the scores - puts things into perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back