Sporting or Trap? and why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foldAA

Hey all!

im into trap for last few months, and its time to get own gun
(so far i rented one from my club)...

I decided to go with Beretta  (because of resell value, brand availability, personal pref. whatever).

I can stretch my budget to get  692 but im considering 686 as im newb and i doubt extra spendings on gun = more targets broken
(correct me if im wrong!) I don't mind spending more now if its gonna save some later on....

My question is:
what's the main difference between a sporting and trap version of 692 (686 is available in sporting spec only), and if its really worth putting some extra money into 692(trap?) or getting sporting spec. 686 is good enough?

Not really into disscussing brands selection, altho Browning is available aswell as
 Miroku (but in case i would get bored or wanted to switchi would be having hard time selling these...)

thanks in advance!
j

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, 686 would do the job provided you have an adjustable comb. The main requirement is to set to near parallel without the slope of a sporting comb [not much requirement for overhead shots in trap]

:)

Beretta site doesnt mention 686 in trap configuration neither does any local seller - any idea why is that?

Are all trap version of 686 some older date maybe?

I will confirm (once again) that there is no trap version availabe from any dealership.

As to differences, anything else beside rib? This doesn't seem to be huge issue...right?

:)

Beretta site doesnt mention 686 in trap configuration neither does any local seller - any idea why is that?

Are all trap version of 686 some older date maybe?

I will confirm (once again) that there is no trap version availabe from any dealership.

As to differences, anything else beside rib? This doesn't seem to be huge issue...right?
The 686 is less easily rebuildable, also less weight compared to 682/692 and pretty sure only available in 28/30" tubes unless ordered from factory. Depending on what you're prepared to pay you're probably better off buying a good used gun anyway and in fairness some 686 guns can be had in like new condition because few clay shots use them, (not that there is any real reason no to).

there is not many used 686 sporting available on marked, even if something shows up its in hunting/field spec more often...

My budget is equall to new 692 so you get the idea, as to 686 and clay shooting you got the point, they are super unpopular

in shooting game, most Beretta ppl tend to use older 682 or 692 i alwasys wondered why is that...

I have had 686 trap about ten years ago bought as a spare and turned out to be an excellent gun. Even popped a couple of 100 straights DTL with it. Very surprised that its not available in trap form anymore

Latest posts

Back