Shooting on your own

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are very helpful, thanks for all the advice!

I will definitely try the guided shoots and phone happy valley to see if they can help out.

Now just get that license!!!
Hi.

You might also look for clubs that shoot English Skeet.  Always a good place to learn basic skills and is shot in small groups, so buddies/buttoner no problem.

Thanks for the tip, it sounds like I have longer wait than expected.

The local license backlog is apparently 6-7 months :frown:

Oh dear.....

When you do get your license (and gun), don't overlook the CPSA-registered shoots.  If you turn up alone you will be squadded with others anyway and it's an excellent opportunity to both meet other shooters and watch good shooters in action.

Tell them you're new and would not mind some tips here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, it sounds like I have longer wait than expected.

I've had mine back around a few weeks ago and it took around 4 1/2 months and believe we'd be under the same police force.

I may also be looking for a shooting buddy. Just need to find me a cheap and useable O/U and I'm ready.

Oh dear.....

When you do get your license (and gun), don't overlook the CPSA-registered shoots.  If you turn up alone you will be squadded with others anyway and it's an excellent opportunity to both meet other shooters and watch good shooters in action.

Tell them you're new and would not mind some tips here and there.
If you shoot sporting as it seems normal CPSA registered shoots will NOT be squadded,very occasionally special events such as the Worlds will but otherwise not though all stands will have a ref/scorer.

You will still usually be able to find a group to shoot with on asking,some people prefer to shoot alone others may have regular shooting buddies.

FITASC and  trap disciplines will be sqadded not sure about Skeet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a frustrating sport to get into if you dont start with a group. Somewhere like Churchills will be good as although you pay more for caddied rounds you are getting instruction as well. On your own its nice for working on a problem target but you have to have a plan otherwise too easy to shoot loads and not learn much.

Further down the line think about Registered Sporting Comps. You can turn up somewhere like Churchills buy a birds only card for £35 and shoot 100 clays where its trapped and scored for you. All you do is load and shoot. You will meet many people and probably bump into others and can join them. Even if you dont its a nice way to shoot. A lot of people including myself avoided it as competition sounds scary but most wished they had just dived in earlier.

Forgot to say I went to Happy Valley a few times when I was starting up a few years ago as it was the nearest shoot to me. It’s what we call a straw baler as comes out twice a week only and limited stands to shoot that rarely change much. The guy running it (Tony) was very friendly and helpful. I believe he also had some club guns to use and gave instruction for beginners. I didn’t go there long as limited targets and long queues on a Sunday and I already had my own gun. But if you dont yet have a licence, gun etc then is worth speaking with him (assuming he is still running it) just dont expect RBSS type facilities :)

I started too like the OP, but after a few lessons I joined sporting targets over Ruislip way ( which might not be too far for the OP ). They are a friendly bunch over there and it either compak/ sporting or sleet so pretty much always in a group. As such though you can't practice a problem bird repeatedly 

Thanks for the advice all.

Got my license in May and have been enjoying shooting at EJC thu eve, OGC and Flightline, also did Beretta World - which was a challenge... Will try Happy Valley when they move to the Sunday shoots. Went to Bisley a couple of times and pretty impressed with their huge variety.

Like all your advice suggested, friendly crowd in most places and can join other shooters. 

Tried a local club to meet other shooters, but realised that means you need to get involved in setup and clearing away, which unfortunately takes more time than I have available.

Got my license in May and have been enjoying shooting at EJC thu eve, OGC and Flightline, also did Beretta World - which was a challenge... Will try Happy Valley when they move to the Sunday shoots. Went to Bisley a couple of times and pretty impressed with their huge variety.

Like all your advice suggested, friendly crowd in most places and can join other shooters. 

Tried a local club to meet other shooters, but realised that means you need to get involved in setup and clearing away, which unfortunately takes more time than I have available.
Think you will find local shoots vary,2 or 3 round here and you just turn up,pay and shoot.

Hey John,

Im based in Oxfordshire and just getting into shooting would be happy to tag along :)

Latest posts

Back